ECHL update please--the state of the league?

The ECHL (ECHL) forum
aardvark
Site Admin

ECHL update please--the state of the league?

Post by aardvark » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:34 am

San Diego Gulls fan here--haven't followed the league much lately (but I still miss seeing live hockey in SD), and I am curious; have any teams folded this season, and are there any plans for expansion/relocation of franchises anyone knows of, or might have heard of? (You can probably see where I'm going with this--since AEG has taken over the San Diego Arena, anyone know of a team that might be moving to San Diego?)

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:37 pm

No folds this year - so far. None are rumored, either.

The Charlotte Checkers' move to the AHL as the Carolina Hurricanes' affiliate is all but signed... rumors are that the Checkers' ECHL membership would move to Albany (which would be vacated by the AHL) or Binghamton (as the Senators are eager to move their AHL franchise to Cornwall, Ontario).

The thing to keep in mind, though, is that if AEG wants an ECHL team, they can get one without another team moving. I have no doubt that the ECHL would gladly go back to San Diego, as the ECHL West footprint has shrunk a bit.

i_want_reno_hockey
Site Admin

Post by i_want_reno_hockey » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Yea I would love to see western expansion, and i think it begins in Reno and a San Diego return. But reno, I think will never find a place to play it seems like.

aardvark
Site Admin

Post by aardvark » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:27 am

I would love to see hockey back in San Diego, but the previous operators of the arena (after the Gulls lost their NHL affiliate) claimed that they could make more money without hockey (which would have probably been true if they would have had to operate as an independent franchise--are there even any independents in the ECHL?). Now, AEG has control of the Sports Arena lease--but the same people that folded the Gulls franchise is still running the day-to-day operations of the arena for AEG, so AEG will have to be the ones to bring in a club. How about the Kings ECHL club? I am not lobbying for stealing a team, it's just an idea. What about the AHL forming a western division? Hasn't that been talked about lately?

chdahs
Site Admin

Post by chdahs » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 pm

[quote=""aardvark""]I would love to see hockey back in San Diego, but the previous operators of the arena (after the Gulls lost their NHL affiliate) claimed that they could make more money without hockey (which would have probably been true if they would have had to operate as an independent franchise--are there even any independents in the ECHL?). Now, AEG has control of the Sports Arena lease--but the same people that folded the Gulls franchise is still running the day-to-day operations of the arena for AEG, so AEG will have to be the ones to bring in a club. How about the Kings ECHL club? I am not lobbying for stealing a team, it's just an idea. What about the AHL forming a western division? Hasn't that been talked about lately?[/quote]

Ontario is owned by the Kings and I believe they still have an interest on Reading---the AHL is highly unlikely to form a West Division due to existing contracts w/ Manchester also under the umbrella of AEG & Worcester is in a long-term deal w/ SVSE/San Jose after the Peoria debacle....

aardvark
Site Admin

Post by aardvark » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:33 am

Wow, that was dumb. I completely forgot about the Kings club in Ontario (1 hr 40 min from my house!). And I'm sure, what with economy, that the NHL wouldn't want to risk starting a western division in the AHL at this time--I would think the travel costs alone would be prohibitive. It would be tough on the AHL owners, and the NHL doesn't need any more expenses right now. In a way, it's too bad that the old WCHL teams couldn't just reform their league, and let the ECHL have their own region back east. A playoff between the 2 league champions would be interesting (as long as the leagues were under similar rules and salary caps). In the meantime, there is STILL no hockey in San Diego.

chdahs
Site Admin

Post by chdahs » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:56 pm

there's now rumblings that the Charlotte Checkers as presently constituted are being replaced by the current Albany River Rats as there's been confirmation that Albany is going to be sold and relocated....

Lazer
Site Admin

Post by Lazer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:32 am

ECHL Chiefs Seeking Relocation For 2010-11

February 14, 2010 - ECHL (ECHL) Johnstown Chiefs

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. - The Johnstown Chiefs, with mixed emotions, announced today that they are seeking permission from the ECHL to relocate to Greenville, South Carolina for the 2010-11 hockey season. The Chiefs have also commenced negotiations with the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville to play in that facility.
The decision to explore relocation opportunities was reached solely because of economic concerns. Entering last Sunday's home game against Cincinnati, average attendance for the 2009-10 season was below 2,000 fans per game. With the difficulties the organization endured over the 2008-09 season, financial losses reached six-figure levels by the time the fiscal year ended on June 30, 2009. Those losses were sustained with attendance averaging slightly over 2,200.

The Chiefs' ownership has been, and will continue to be, willing to assist any potential ownership group that would keep professional hockey in Johnstown at the Cambria County War Memorial Arena.

The Chiefs have been privileged to call Johnstown their home since 1988. The support from season ticket holders and the Chiefs Fan Club has been wholeheartedly appreciated. Because of it Johnstown will always have a special place in the history and tradition of minor league hockey in North America.

The Chiefs look forward to completing their current season at the UPMC Health Plan Ice Rink at the Cambria County War Memorial, and are thankful for the support from their fan base.

Lazer
Site Admin

Post by Lazer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:36 am

The Greenville area sounds like a good hockey area, when they are averaging 7000+ fans per game, but not 2100+ when they left the ECHL in 2006/07. Johnstown Chiefs are averaging only 1975 fans per game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenville_Grrrowl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvF7f-E4fRg

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics ... le_Grrrowl

Lazer
Site Admin

Post by Lazer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:53 am

Greenville approves five-year lease for Johnstown Chiefs

Blades' Blog
By Woody Wommack
Posted February 16, 2010 12:07 PM

.The Johnstown Chiefs move to Greenville, S.C. has cleared another hurdle, and appears to have only one left in order to make the move officially official.

The Greenville Arena District approved a lease aggreement on Monday, giving the Chiefs an official home. Now the team just has to wait for the ECHL Board of Governors to vote on and approve the move on Wednesday.

Once the league approves of the move, the Chiefs will officially sign a five-year lease.

Still no comment on the move from the Everblades, but I would imagine that once the word becomes official I'll get able to get an opinion.

Return to “ECHL”