UHL Name Change to IHL?

The International Hockey League (UHL) forum
radiodavel
Site Admin

UHL Name Change to IHL?

Post by radiodavel » Mon May 07, 2007 4:05 pm

There is a "big" rumor going on that the UHL will announce a league name change to International Hockey League...the IHL dissolved several years ago, the old IHL survived many years before the merger with the present AHL, Ft. Wayne was a long time member and also featured teams in Kzoo, Muskegon, PH over the years...

what are your thoughts?

this is an unconfirmed rumor at this time....

freddypuck
Site Admin

Same Here

Post by freddypuck » Mon May 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Heard the same rumor as well. Heard that the Frankes own the rights to the IHL name. so its probably not out of the ballpark for that to happen to remove the stigma the U has right now.

I still think that 1 or 2 teams will decide before June meetings not to play next season and as for new teams, Its a bit late to build a good base before the season starts.

radiodavel
Site Admin

Leave IHL in past for new league name

Post by radiodavel » Wed May 09, 2007 1:21 pm

good story about all of this..

Leave IHL in past for new league name
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgaz ... 194650.htm

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:46 am

And we're off and running... the new IHL takes the ice with 6 teams (including another attempt to revive Port Huron) in '07-'08.

Different name, same stuff? :)

OneBetter
Site Admin

Post by OneBetter » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:24 am

They've implemented new rules: http://www.ihl-hockey.com/index.php?opt ... 5&Itemid=1

This is great. These rules basically encourage fighting and aggresive hockey. This is a needed change for hockey. US Hockey has become way too pu$$y in the past decade. Look for this to establish the IHL as the American version of Ligue nord-américaine de hockey.

I'm really applauding the changes. I think this will help them develop a strong and loyal fan base. They are creating a brand of hockey that fans will love and that the other minor leagues are trying to avoid. I think this could definitely give them a strong advantage in other markets in years to come. I would love to see eastern and western expansion in the next few years.

The deep south (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, the Carolinas, and maybe Virginia) as well as other closely selected markets such as Bakersfield and Fresno, CA could be excellent candidates for this league in the future. You have to pick and choose your target audience, and people in these regions love rough and tough hockey.

I could definitely see existing teams in these markets in the next 3-5 years making the switch to the IHL if they are successful in implementing this brand of hockey.

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:18 am

You had me right up until the expansion ideas. Wasn't the nation wide (over)expansion a key reason for the demise of the original I? I hope this is a step in the right direction for the league. I honestly thought it would die and a few teams go to the CHL, as has been mentioned many times on this and other boards. I like the idea of an US LNAH. Stop trying to be a feeder for higher leagues and be an alternative for people who don't like the direction hockey has taken in the last decade.

I have to wonder if, with the HQ being relocated to Rochester, MI (1/2 hour from me) if they will try another team in SE Michigan in the near future? I miss my Mechanics!
Former Motor City Mechanics & Macomb County Mustangs season ticket holder.

"I like you. When the world is mine your death shall be quick and painless."
- Stewie Griffin

bomp
Site Admin

Post by bomp » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:27 am

[quote=""OneBetter""]They've implemented new rules: http://www.ihl-hockey.com/index.php?opt ... 5&Itemid=1

This is great. These rules basically encourage fighting and aggresive hockey. This is a needed change for hockey. US Hockey has become way too pu$$y in the past decade. Look for this to establish the IHL as the American version of Ligue nord-américaine de hockey.
[/quote]

Fighting? Yeah, let's see if we can find three brothers like in the movie "Slap Shot'. Really goon it up. All Canadians, no teeth! ;)

It's still the UHL with teams that never pay their bills.
Unique ideas lead to prison. Don't name your son after a baseball glove. "Listen dude, do you really want the SEX??"

HockeyRulez
Site Admin

Post by HockeyRulez » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:15 am

[quote=""bomp""]Fighting? Yeah, let's see if we can find three brothers like in the movie "Slap Shot'. Really goon it up. All Canadians, no teeth! ;)

It's still the UHL with teams that never pay their bills.[/quote]

Seriously thats all it is, where were these idiots? The UHL was a goon and fighting league!

Return to “IHL”