Spin, Spin and more Spin

The International Hockey League (UHL) forum
freddypuck
Site Admin

Too Late?

Post by freddypuck » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:37 pm

I would think that it is fast becoming too late to have a new commissioner before the league meetings in June at the earliest.

If the committee only formed this week, they still have to review the candidates, narrow it to a list of interviewees. after that they will have to conduct background checks, second interviews, narrow down to a few prime candidates and then make the hire. I am sure the BOG will still have to approve the choice. This takes time and we all know the league isn't known for its quick reactions or ability to get things done. Its already halfway to May 1 and they haven't even held a single interview yet.

I believe the statement that a committee has been formed was to quiet the rumors of the league's demise. I still think that the UHL is finished after this season and may return as a much smaller, 4 or 5 teams, Michigan league (IHL) in 2007-08. I don't see any new markets wanting in until the league stabilizes.

radiodavel
Site Admin

Elmira would be good fit for Martinson

Post by radiodavel » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:46 pm

Elmira would be good fit for Martinson
http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 30057/1001

freddypuck
Site Admin

Keyword "teams"

Post by freddypuck » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:28 pm

League announced that only Elmira was given permission to join the ECHL. Yet, Martinson is quoted as saying "ECHL headed teams" notice the plural.

As in my earlier post. I have only been able to confirm that QC has applied to the ECHL and was told another team from Illinois had also applied. Who could that be? Chicago? (why would Craig waste time looking for a replacement commissioner?) Motor City? Bloomington?

radiodavel
Site Admin

Post by radiodavel » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:51 pm

Motor City is in Michigan

qcmallards5
Site Admin

Post by qcmallards5 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:07 am

I don't have any sources, but I would guess that the other team besides Quad City that may have applied for the ECHL is Bloomington. They did pretty well attendance-wise this year and, with only 1 year of history, it wouldn't be a big change for them.

I was glad to see Bloomington draw well in their first year, despite being in the basement. I wasn't sure how the UHL was going to sell in that market. The Peoria Rivermen have a following there, only a 1/2 hour from Bloomington. I can tell you firsthand that when Peoria was in the ECHL, their fans and newspaper regularly bad-mouthed the UHL, at least partially due to all the success the Mallards were having 100 miles away at that time. Sorry, my bias is showing.

I have mixed feelings if QC goes to the ECHL. My sentiments are a lot like some of the Komets fans' I've read on here: by far the most important thing is to keep a team here for the long haul, regardless of the league. I was nervous when the AHL rumors were flying here the last couple years. I'm not sure we could "hang" in that higher-cost league for the long run. I wish Rockford luck in that endeavor.

radiodavel
Site Admin

Bloomington - Not the Frankes

Post by radiodavel » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:13 am

The Senior Reports
http://www.bright.net/~wkki/sreport.htm

Not the Frankes
http://jgwebblogs.typepad.com/ice_chips_0607/
There is a compilation of rumors from http://www.prohockeynews.com that suggests the Franke family will be taking over the Bloomigton Prairie Thunder.

Michael Franke, president of the Komets, told The Journal Gazette this is completely untrue. While he has helped "to broker a new ownership deal to keep Bloomington in the UHL," Franke said his family will not be a part of the ownership. New ownership will be announced in the coming days.

The prohockeynews.com story read:

"Many rumors indicated that Bloomington was the nexus of a lot of activity, with possible dissention within the current ownership group as to direction, and UHL stalwarts like (Tony) Lisman in Muskegon and the Frankes in Fort Wayne attempting to broker situations that would entice Bloomington to stay. The tug-of-war seems to have been resolved at this point – it’s completely unofficial and unconfirmed, but the chatter indicates that the Bloomington UHL franchise has been bought by the Frankes, which if true would nail them down to the UHL (or the “IHL” concept) ..."

Stay tuned Friday for more news out of Bloomington.

radiodavel
Site Admin

Post by radiodavel » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:44 pm

The Senior Reports
http://www.bright.net/~wkki/sreport.htm

Thunder restructuring or selling?
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007 ... 268103.txt

Teams have until Tuesday to declare whether they will return to the UHL, which will hold a Board of Governors meeting that same day in Kalamazoo, Mich.

“We’re going to go up on Tuesday and see who will be playing in the league this (coming) season,” said Nelson, who co-owns the Thunder with John Butler. “I’m confident we will have 10 teams in the league.

We definitely want at least eight teams. But I don’t see that being a problem.”

Callie04
Site Admin

Post by Callie04 » Tue May 01, 2007 5:20 am

Does anyone know of players who are set to return and play for the Prairie Thunder this upcoming 07-08 season?

radiodavel
Site Admin

Mallards’ answers delayed until Friday

Post by radiodavel » Tue May 01, 2007 11:31 am

Mallards’ answers delayed until Friday

Quad-City Mallards fans will have to wait at least a few more days to know their team’s plans for next season.

Mallards president Tim Taylor said Monday that a critical United Hockey League Board of Governors meeting originally scheduled for today in Kalamazoo, Mich., has been postponed until Friday.

That is a meeting where remaining members of the UHL are scheduled to declare their intent to return to the league next year.

Taylor and members of the Quad-City Sports Ventures ownership group will make no such declaration without a minimum of seven additional teams. Furthermore, Taylor said Monday, the Mallards are waiting for answers regarding a workable UHL group rate for workman’s compensation insurance in 2007-2008.

“Until those criteria are met, (the UHL) is not something we are interested in being a part of,’’ Taylor said. “If it is a viable league and we get a workman’s comp group rate, we will entertain the idea of moving forward.’’

At Friday’s meeting, the Mallards expect to learn whether embattled Michigan franchises in Port Huron and Flint will return, with Flint under new ownership, and whether any additional expansion franchises will join the UHL next season.

If the league falls short of eight teams, other existing UHL franchises might join the Mallards in a late appeal to become part of the ECHL, Taylor indicated.

ECHL owners already have rejected a Mallards’ application to join their league without other Midwest-based UHL teams coming along. Taylor said that was a simple matter of geography and economics on the part of ECHL Northern Division teams, the closest of which is located eight hours east in Dayton, Ohio.

“They didn’t want us as a standalone,’’ Taylor said, but he added, “If — and it is a huge if — there are a number of teams looking at another option, I think the (ECHL) Board of Governors would take another look.’’

For now, the Mallards are members of the UHL. But, again, depending on answers supplied Friday in Kalamazoo, that is subject to change.

“We are still weighing all options,’’ Taylor said. “We want to do what is best for our fans and this team. We’ll see what transpires in the next 72 hours as regards the state of the UHL. Then we’ll see what happens from there.’’

radiodavel
Site Admin

PrairieThunder ownership transferred

Post by radiodavel » Tue May 01, 2007 11:48 pm

PrairieThunder ownership transferred
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007 ... 855204.txt

Return to “IHL”