Spin, Spin and more Spin

The International Hockey League (UHL) forum
freddypuck
Site Admin

What Next

Post by freddypuck » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:17 pm

What does everyone think of the possibility of merging?

Who gets the best new chance for success if they do? Kzoo? Fort Wayne? Muskegon?

CHL only allows half as many vets as the UHL? Lot of guys will be going out to pasture...

Rivalry?

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:22 pm

Do we know that the CHL will take them?

If they do, will they take all of them? Flint need not apply? Bloomington's location? (Bloomington really shouldn't be a problem, but there's a perception issue the further east you go...)

sportsguy12
Site Admin

If they're going to merge ...

Post by sportsguy12 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:52 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Do we know that the CHL will take them?

If they do, will they take all of them? Flint need not apply? Bloomington's location? (Bloomington really shouldn't be a problem, but there's a perception issue the further east you go...)[/quote]

they better do it fast. There's only 5 UHL teams left. Who knows how many will be left next week.

freddypuck
Site Admin

Flint

Post by freddypuck » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:14 pm

Looks like Bob Perani is satisfied with the CHL merger plan, enough to put his money on Flint.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1181478007154330.xml&coll=5

So the only one left to me as questionable about next season is Bloomington.

We know Kzoo, Muskegon, and Fort Wayne are good to go, now Flint looks likes its good.

If they remain named the U next season, the fans are gonna get sick of palying the same 3 or 4 teams over and over again. Wonder if they'll play a few CHL teams to start the process and keep things a little more exciting for the fans.

radiodavel
Site Admin

Post by radiodavel » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:53 pm

You may be right on that CHL merger,

Bloomington will follow whatever Muskegon does (same owner)

Still waiting for big U announcement, BOG is suppose to approve Flint sale today, maybe they might give us a little insight or they could be waiting for the meetings in Las Vegas.

PH arena is on the city council agenda tonight, even talks of tearing it down, plus CIFL football team looks to be leaving PH as well

I'm to the point, nothing will surprise me now.

Keep an eye open

freddypuck
Site Admin

Whats New? Only 1 Week Until the Big Announcement

Post by freddypuck » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:54 pm

Latest from the rumor mills

The U will play as the IHL next season operating under the guidance of the CHL. 6 teams involved in several year plan to merge into one league.
As for the 6th team, probably Port Huron but have heard that Toledo is applying to the league and another un-named city. Although its my opinion that it is too late for anyone other than Port Huron. You need almost a full year to put the resources in place to get a team of to the right start. If they allow another franchise in for next season, its doomed to fail and will just be following in the same footsteps as Brosal, a model of failure and poor business.

anyone else hear anything new?

who is the un-named city? Maybe Utica..... HaHaHa!!!

June 20th should be an interesting day for minor league hockey

HockeyRulez
Site Admin

Post by HockeyRulez » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:33 am

[quote=""freddypuck""]Wow.... amazing how hard the league elders are working to quiet the rumor mill. Between Franke, Lisman and others, they are putting in quite the effort to dispell the reality that is "the collapse of the UHL as we know it now".

Rockford is gone as confirmed by the Governors

Read between the lines of their statements, and you'll see that Elmira is done next year, too expense to travel.

How long will the city of Port Huron go down the losing road before they look elsewhere to draw downtown. Flint is probably out next season.

Indianapolis pulled back on their dealings with the UHL and renewed their lease with the USHL for 1 more year. I am sure they want to see how the future of the region shapes up and what becomes of the U next season.

Key league people have or are pulling out - Werger gone to Pittsburgh, Brosal leaving. The 2 people who know the true standing of the league and probably had the best gauge of its future. Obviously they don't want to be around for it.

UHL will be the midwest bus and beer league.[/quote]

Not many know this but we here in Elmira almost didnt play the 06-07 season. The 04-05 season started a patch of nearly 2 years of killing a successful franchise, team got off to a rough start and the Coach/GM Todd Brost got canned, they brought in Dave Schultz(Good marketing move but terrible business move for the long haul)Couldnt find a coach until late in the 05 summer(Shoulda just stuck with Schultz at this rate)and hired that whacko Perry Florio. He all but ran this to the ground. The offseason was intresting, Danbury got caught cheating, owner goes to prison, folds. Adirondack cant get a lease, SEE YA. Richmond folded(I forget why)Then about mid June Robbie Nichols was named GM, probably saving the franchise, The team got off to a good start, but everyone knew this wasnt to be, they knew something had to get done. the ECHL rumors had to start in likw December. It became official in April. It's been arguably the best decision ever and it probably woulda been the decision in 2000 had those morons from Binghampton not been in the league

HockeyRulez
Site Admin

Post by HockeyRulez » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:36 am

[quote=""Pounder""]That's if there's a UHL... or as the rumor goes, the IHL.

Thing about Elmira- the rumor is that Doc Afr's name is NOT on the application to the ECHL. It's kind of well know that the E wants nothing to do with Afr. Sale, anyone?

The Quad City owner hedges greatly on the Franke statements... and there are rumors that Taylor is promising some season ticket holders that they're jumping to the E.

Bloomington owner offers cautious support for Franke, but manages to mention that they'll also jump if there's no more than 6 teams left.

At this point, I wouldn't have a cow on "spinning." Franke knows he has to "sell" just to keep a league- it's obvious by the spin. This one's become a mere curiosity compared to most of the brouhaha on OSC. Since the E presents its own challenges, there aren't any empty nets here.[/quote]

Afr still owns the club and so far in 3 seasons of play the Jackals lead the league in sellouts every season and for that time span. It's kinda funny though, every team hes every touched has gone bankrupt. Yet here 10 years later we may be stronger then ever(and weve hit LOW times in this decade)Where were his other franchises located? Maybe they werent in climate areas that could relate to hockey?

HockeyRulez
Site Admin

Post by HockeyRulez » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:42 am

[quote=""freddypuck""]I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow took Afr out of the team, but he controls the arena. Its a good market for the ECHL, regionally speaking.

To RadioDave: why would I discuss the sources of my information? It was deepthroat that told me. LOL!!!
People that have been reading them for the last year can tell you that I am pretty accurate and true in my posts.

How does Toledo expect to play in the U if it no longer exists?[/quote]

Afr is still around. Its a better ECHL Market then UHL Market. It didnt take long for that to happen. The talent is better and its faster play, plus the ECHL is a small market league for the most part, 4,000 is a good number to have. I don't think we realized when we joined but just how important to the AHL we could be given our closest location to about like 10 AHL Franchises.

HockeyRulez
Site Admin

Post by HockeyRulez » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:49 am

[quote=""radiodavel""]Elmira would be good fit for Martinson
http://www.rrstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 30057/1001[/quote]

That article no longer seems to work, but why was Martinson a good fit for Elmira? My only guess is his friendship with Nichols
Last edited by HockeyRulez on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “IHL”