Lumberjacks folding at end of season

The International Hockey League (UHL) forum
mrsummitcitypigskin
Site Admin

Lumberjacks folding at end of season

Post by mrsummitcitypigskin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:17 am

This league is going to see some changes..
Muskegon moving to Junior USHL:

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/sports/83855847.html

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:00 pm

The first of several dominoes... and I'm not sure the IHL has a long-term future...

* Flint is expected to collapse in a sea of red ink at the end of the season.
* Port Huron has been on life support for years.
* Bloomington is being propped up by the league.
* Dayton had to be saved from its founding owners.
* And it's been reported that if the league doesn't have at least 6 teams, Quad City has the right to walk away.

They'll rush Evansville in for 2010, of course... try to get Chicago back in... but the IHL is trying to run in an economically-devastated area. This isn't promising.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:31 pm

Odd, considering this was posted yesterday in the weekly league report on the main page.

"International Hockey League: The seven-team IHL will be holding discussions about possible expansion at its annual meeting next week as it tries to get to an even number of teams. The dormant Chicago Hounds will be represented, along with the expansion Evansville IceMen franchise that currently is part of the All-American Hockey League. Evansville is scheduled to join the IHL in 2011-12, but could join the IHL a year early if the AAHL is unable to continue playing next season. Although the Muskegon Lumberjacks are discussing the possibility of operating a junior-level team next season, the IHL believes all seven of its current teams will return next season."

mrsummitcitypigskin
Site Admin

Post by mrsummitcitypigskin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Although the league will lose Muskegon, it is true that a new lease agreement has
been signed for use of the Sears Centre (in suburban Chicago) for a return of the
Hounds (or some other nickname) Evansville is def in for 2010-11 and maybe 1 or
2 more. League meetings concluded today in Detroit. Official announcements are
expected at anytime. (Possibilties: Madison, Wi., Des Moines, Ia., Indianapolis)

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:02 pm

I don't think the Hounds return is for sure yet.....

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=349940

Hoffman Estates village board members said they're happy with how the new Sears Centre management firm handled its first event at the arena.

"Good to see everything was getting along as advertised," Trustee Gary Pilafas said, while also complimenting the new food service and staff.

Global Spectrum, the Philadelphia-based division of cable's Comcast Spectacor, had staff in place last weekend for the Shillelagh college hockey tournament. While Hoffman Estates took ownership in mid-December, before the Dec. 18 Bliss Lingerie Football contest, a deal with Global was only approved afterward.

Fans bought 5,509 tickets for the two-day tournament. New Sears Centre General Manager Ben Gibbs said the sales are encouraging and were better than last year's 4,454 tickets sold.

Gibbs recently moved from Orlando, Fla., and is still getting used to the Chicago area market.

"The building's extremely impressive in terms of being well built; it's well set up," he said.

Trustee Cary Collins, who had criticized the process for selecting a new management company, threw bouquets to Pilafas and Trustee Raymond Kincaid, who head the village's arena commission, which interviewed arena management firms and has dealt with the building's transition to village ownership.

"I was particularly impressed that the ice didn't melt, which is a good sign," Collins joked, referring to the first hockey game at the arena in 2006, which was canceled after fans arrived because of melting rink ice, scarring the arena's reputation.

That game featured the Chicago Hounds, which folded in 2007 after attendance problems.

Despite that inauspicious beginning, Hounds ownership is interested in bringing back minor league hockey to the Sears Centre.

Having a stable sports franchise inside the building would provide the arena with regularly scheduled dates and more predictable revenues. Concerts are one-time events that are trickier to book, and where the venue competes with the larger, more centrally located Allstate Arena and United Center.

Efforts to get a successful sports franchise foundered under the previous ownership, however. The Sears Centre has seen soccer, lacrosse and hockey teams all fold in just over three years of having its doors open.

Kincaid said he is hopeful the center can book a lot more events with a professional operator like Global Spectrum.

Village officials had criticized Ryan Cos., the previous owner and manager. Ryan, a Minnesota-based construction developer, had no previous arena experience.

It had hoped to open other arenas across the country using the Sears Centre as the prototype.

Instead, hurt in part by a stalled economy, the building was a money loser and the company backed away, leaving the village responsible for payments on a $55 million construction loan.

Officials estimate the arena will incur operational losses of $1.2 million in 2010, which Global and the village are calling a transition period.

The amount Global will get paid by the village depends on if the arena makes a profit. A final contract with Global hasn't been signed, but the two parties are looking at a 10-year deal for about $132,000 annually, plus a cut of profits.

Village officials remain optimistic. It remains to be seen how patient voters will be, with a potential property tax increase lurking, depending on how the center does.

"Hopefully it will go up, up, up for all of us," Trustee Karen Mills said.

I know that Craig Drecktrah is part of the expansion Rockford Foresters these days, a new wooden bat league team. His bio on the site does say he is owner/ceo of the Hounds.

http://www.rockfordsnewteam.com/team/ow ... staff_id=2

It'll be interesting to see what happens, I'm sure the Sears Center would like a stable sports franchise with a dedicated owner.

mrsummitcitypigskin
Site Admin

Post by mrsummitcitypigskin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:06 am

The Player Personnel Director of the IHL said during a Friday night radio interview
that the lease had been agreed to in principle for the Sears Centre. He also said
negotiations are continuing in regards to the arena situation in Evansville and a
third possible franchise scenario has arisen, since the IHL meetings.
Last edited by mrsummitcitypigskin on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:51 pm

[quote=""mrsummitcitypigskin""]...and a third possible franchise scenario has arisen, since the IHL meetings.[/quote]

They're going after Johnstown, aren't they?

mrsummitcitypigskin
Site Admin

Post by mrsummitcitypigskin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:35 am

[quote=""robster2001""]They're going after Johnstown, aren't they?[/quote]

I have heard that but I think Johnstown, Pa. may be a bit to far east.
If Youngstown, Oh. would have joined 2 years ago, I think a western Pa.
team would have been a good fit. At this point Dayton, Oh. is the farthest
east the IHL goes.

braddaman1
Site Admin

Post by braddaman1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:44 am

Could the new franchise possibly Peoria IL?
I hope the IHL can get it's act together. I agree the economy is what is to blame for the most part. Perhaps a merge with the CHL would be the best thing the IHL could do.

chdahs
Site Admin

Post by chdahs » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:29 pm

[quote=""braddaman1""]Could the new franchise possibly Peoria IL?
I hope the IHL can get it's act together. I agree the economy is what is to blame for the most part. Perhaps a merge with the CHL would be the best thing the IHL could do.[/quote]
nope, because you'd be butting heads w/ the AHL Rivermen and the Blues

Return to “IHL”