Indy Returning to IHL?

The International Hockey League (UHL) forum
braddaman1
Site Admin

Post by braddaman1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:55 am

Well when the Flames came to the Quad Cities, my under standing is that the Mallards suspened operations. Does that mean that they still have a IHL affiliation on paper, but just no team owner?
QC should have never joined the AHL. I would also like someone to explain to me how Rockford and Peoria are surviving in the AHL since none of these teams averaged 4000 fans. When the Flames came to the QC the owership group stated they needed atleast 4000 fans, but strong corperate support just to stay in the black. Catapiller is a major corperate sponsor of Peoria, but they have laid off 1000's so I would be willing to bet they won't be a major sponsor of the Rivermen this year.

braddaman1
Site Admin

Post by braddaman1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:04 am

Think keeping the Mallards name would have helped a lot. That really upset a lot of fans.

chdahs
Site Admin

Post by chdahs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:46 pm

[quote=""braddaman1""]Well when the Flames came to the Quad Cities, my under standing is that the Mallards suspened operations. Does that mean that they still have a IHL affiliation on paper, but just no team owner?
QC should have never joined the AHL. I would also like someone to explain to me how Rockford and Peoria are surviving in the AHL since none of these teams averaged 4000 fans. When the Flames came to the QC the owership group stated they needed atleast 4000 fans, but strong corperate support just to stay in the black. Catapiller is a major corperate sponsor of Peoria, but they have laid off 1000's so I would be willing to bet they won't be a major sponsor of the Rivermen this year.[/quote]

no, they don't, Rockford has the backing of Chicago----Peoria has the Blues.......

braddaman1
Site Admin

Post by braddaman1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:19 pm

[quote=""chdahs""]no, they don't, Rockford has the backing of Chicago----Peoria has the Blues.......[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.
I understand that.
Quad City had the backing of the Calgary Flames. That proved to be worthless.

With less than 4000 fans per game average, how can Peoria or Rockford be profitable?

What I am asking is what happened to the Quad City Mallards UHL/IHL franchise agreement?

mrsummitcitypigskin
Site Admin

Post by mrsummitcitypigskin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:59 pm

According to league Board of Governors Mike Franke (from Ft.Wayne)
the expansion of the league in 2009-10 does NOT include Indianapolis.
Dayton, Oh. has filed paperwork. Moline, Ill. and Madison, Wi. are in
negotiations with the league. Kalamazoo has asked to be withdrawn
from the league. But, the IHL bylaws state a team has to wait 3 years
to amicably withdraw. No comment yet from K-Wing mangement. Many
with the league think this is sour grapes after Pickard (Wings president)
was asked to step down from league commissioner's seat.
Last edited by mrsummitcitypigskin on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

chdahs
Site Admin

Post by chdahs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:02 am

[quote=""braddaman1""]Thanks for the reply.
I understand that.
Quad City had the backing of the Calgary Flames. That proved to be worthless.

With less than 4000 fans per game average, how can Peoria or Rockford be profitable?

What I am asking is what happened to the Quad City Mallards UHL/IHL franchise agreement?[/quote]

no, Calgary's deal in QC wasn't worthless----the Mallards wouldn't have lasted much longer even if the AHL hadn't come to Moline when they did----they faced too much competition in Omaha, this was the 4th relocation of the franchise including dormancy of the AHL Franchise, braddaman, due to financial constraints by local owners both in Saint John, NB , then Omaha, then w/ QCSV.

The Mallards were terminated just as Rockford's was when their ownership bought an AHL franchise, and Peoria is successful as the Blues affiliate even when the Rivermen were in the ECHL, ATTENDANCE isn't a priority as it's claimed to be. QC was done when the Flames arrived in Moline, as a result the Mallards ceased operations after the arrival of the QC Flames (Abbotsford Heat) in '07.
Last edited by chdahs on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

braddaman1
Site Admin

Post by braddaman1 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:49 am

Worthless = Quad City market too small to support the over head associated with any AHL team. The last few seasons of the Mallards saw declining attendance, but the team spoiled fans the first few years with 3 Colonial Cup victories.

The AHL ownership group also owned the Mallards for their last season as the Mallards. This ownership group upset a lot of fans by changing the team name, and poorly marketing the team.

I think QC should join the CHL, as that would be a good fit for an area the size of the QC. However I would like to see the IHL return to the creditable AA league it used to be.

chdahs
Site Admin

Post by chdahs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:24 pm

[quote=""braddaman1""]Worthless = Quad City market too small to support the over head associated with any AHL team. The last few seasons of the Mallards saw declining attendance, but the team spoiled fans the first few years with 3 Colonial Cup victories.

The AHL ownership group also owned the Mallards for their last season as the Mallards. This ownership group upset a lot of fans by changing the team name, and poorly marketing the team.

I think QC should join the CHL, as that would be a good fit for an area the size of the QC. However I would like to see the IHL return to the creditable AA league it used to be.[/quote]
how is it worthless if you have a higher league essentially take over, that's why the Mallards collapsed, the expectations were too high----

no, QCSV was asked to run the Flames for CGY, just as the Ak-Sar-Ben did when the team was in Omaha, and the Saint John ownership did in that market which was why CGY left in 2003, when the finances started sliding in NB

Primis
Site Admin

Post by Primis » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:08 pm

FYI for everyone... the guys that wanted to go into Indy are the exact same guys that are now in Dayton. Indy rumors died when fairly-publicly they moved on to Dayton...

chdahs
Site Admin

Post by chdahs » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:16 pm

[quote=""Primis""]FYI for everyone... the guys that wanted to go into Indy are the exact same guys that are now in Dayton. Indy rumors died when fairly-publicly they moved on to Dayton...[/quote]

those owners better start spending big $ TO upgrade Hara, fwiu, otherwise they'll be in the same spot as why the Bombers are in a holding pattern.

Return to “IHL”