Future CHL Cities...

The Central Hockey League (CHL) forum
rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:22 pm

[quote=""SeaToby""]Like the poor among us, the rich will be too. While arenas and stadiums are designed for the average fans, suites are designed to soak the rich. Opera houses have been around for centuries, soaking the rich to support the arts. Why can't sports do the same?[/quote]

Oh they can. Assuming there is a rich to soak. That's what's up in the air at the moment.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

SeaToby
Site Admin

Post by SeaToby » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:28 pm

[quote=""rams80""]Oh they can. Assuming there is a rich to soak. That's what's up in the air at the moment.[/quote]

The rich are there, and willing to buy suites, for multiple years. 90% of suites sell everywhere. In Tulsa, they sold out of suites in less than two weeks.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:48 pm

I think pre-October economy is mighty different than the current economy.

Just saying...
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:00 pm

[quote=""SeaToby""]The rich are there, and willing to buy suites, for multiple years. 90% of suites sell everywhere. In Tulsa, they sold out of suites in less than two weeks.[/quote]

Was this before the bottom fell out in oil?
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Seriously, there will always be wealthy people and corporations looking to entertain. Like any big ticket item, suites may get a bit more difficult to sell, but by and large they will sell.

Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Hockey » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:46 pm

This is not a depression. This is a recession, but not a "great recession". People blow this up way more then it is.

The USA is a fairly wealthy nation, almost abusrdly wealthy. To the point that average citizens waste more in a week then most nations citizens spend on luxuries in a year.

While I am not denying that I know many who have lost jobs, there are still open positions all over the place for those who truely want to work. Yes, you may have to make some adjustments in your lifestyle, but you will still have plenty of room for luxuries.

At one my clients stores, a major wireless corporate store, they have 3 positions open that they have few candidates applying for. This is a decent paying job with a major company with full benefits and a nice opertunity to move up.

Why I say this on a hockey forum is that this all comes down to the salesman selling the hockey product. If I am selling suites right now, I don't see a major issue. You have a lot of reasons why now is the BEST time to get involved in owning a suite. Many of your clients have lost that extra entertainment budget, so the value of your tickets is worth more then in a time when they are profitable enough to splurge on quality season packages themselves.

Sales is all about the salesman. If you have one of these negative people who watch the news and are afraid of anything they talk about, then your never going to sell anything. The USA still has a surplus of extra wealth and that is not going to disappear overnight.

Big Easy
Site Admin

Post by Big Easy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:23 am

There is a current ECHL owner (non controlling partner) with New Orleans ties who has designs on bringing a CHL team to the Big Easy. From what I heard, the league likes the idea of New Orleans (international city, good arena, geographically close to other CHL teams). New Orleans did a decent job with the Brass (ECHL) but when the Hornets came to town, they took control of the New Orelans Arena and the Brass' lease suddenly was pulled. I'm sure there would be some hurdles, but I think it could work if they could work something out with the Hornets. Plus, Hornets owner George Shinn has owned hockey teams in the past....so maybe they'll work together. It would make sense as having another team in the arena would strengthen Shinn's sponsorship offerings...which are dramatically up. Contrary to popular belief, professional sports teams are doing very well (financially) in New Orleans.
Last edited by Big Easy on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:59 pm

Ok I hope it works out. The other players in the ECHL loved going to New Orleans to play (ie hang out) and by in large the Brass players enjoyed playing in the big easy.

But.........your post intimates that the only reason hockey failed in New Orleans was the Hornets ran them out of the building. Thats not true.

The Hornets didn't help but attendance wasn't exactly sky-high when the Hornets were still in Charlotte. There were many issues including ownership that killed the Brass. It wasn't a single minded vendetta by the New Orleans Hornets.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Big Easy
Site Admin

Post by Big Easy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:54 am

[quote=""Paul S""]Ok I hope it works out. The other players in the ECHL loved going to New Orleans to play (ie hang out) and by in large the Brass players enjoyed playing in the big easy.

But.........your post intimates that the only reason hockey failed in New Orleans was the Hornets ran them out of the building. Thats not true.

The Hornets didn't help but attendance wasn't exactly sky-high when the Hornets were still in Charlotte. There were many issues including ownership that killed the Brass. It wasn't a single minded vendetta by the New Orleans Hornets.[/quote]

Paul, thanks for bringing that up. I'm not pretending to know the exact reasons the Brass folded...so I want to acknowldege your comments and say you are right. While I have informed knowledge of the Hornets, Saints and a few other professional teams, I wasn't involved with sports when the Brass were in New Orleans. I speak as an outsider only based on what I saw (as a fan who didn't care less about the business aspect of sports). I'm sure there was more to it than the Hornets pulling the plug on the lease deal. I'm going strictly on memory here...but when the Brass first arrived...the ECHL was hot in the deep south. The Brass played at Municipal Auditorium (a small venue that held about 4-5K I think) and did a good job of putting fans in the building. When they moved to the NO Arena, I'm sure their rent increased significantly...and they just seemed lost in a 17K seat building.

All of that said....if they can get the right deal (which could be said for any sports team anywhere)...I think they can make a run for it. While New Orleans is anything but hockey country, I do believe there were enough core fans there to get things going. Of course they'll depend heavily on groups and sponsorships...as any other financially successful team does.
Last edited by Big Easy on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

nksports
Site Admin

All you need is cash

Post by nksports » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:29 am

The easiest way to get the CHL in the Big Easy would be to hire Global to build the arena. OTOH if you can find an owner with enough $$$$$, I'm sure they would listen.

New Orleans would fit well with Bossier-Shreveport and Mississippi, but it's a long bus ride to Prescott Valley, Ariz., Rapid City or Broomfield, Colo.

Return to “CHL”