Could Roanoke join the SPHL?

The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) forum
Minor League Man
Site Admin

Could Roanoke join the SPHL?

Post by Minor League Man » Tue May 16, 2006 8:23 pm

I think it would work where the UHL didn't work (more regional rivalries, intimate atmosphere) and also have some of the better aspects (Richmond rivalry)

Your thoughts?
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Wed May 17, 2006 4:35 am

After the Express and the Valley Vipers, Roanoke is trashed as a market for the next 3 years.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

chdahs
Site Admin

Post by chdahs » Wed May 17, 2006 5:19 pm

rams80 wrote:After the Express and the Valley Vipers, Roanoke is trashed as a market for the next 3 years.
exactly, Roanoke for the first time is out of the pro sports landscape----even minor league basketball didn't make it there (Dazzle).

Even the operators have come to realize that Roanoke is not a good market.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed May 17, 2006 5:33 pm

3 years? There's apparently so many unpaid bills floating around the Dixons that it's going to take Ren & Stimpy's History Eraser Button to take care of all the bad blood. The problem is that we don't know if the History Eraser Button will take everything else with it.

10 years, anyone? 20?

This has nothing to do with the SPHL... just to say that anyone from that league trying to get sponsors in Roanoke will be gravely disturbed by the response, at least according to what I've heard.

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Wed May 17, 2006 5:46 pm

I had heard talks of them coming to the SPHL but the way things sound from you in here maybe that will not happen now
GO FORCE and ICE

adsco
Site Admin

New SPHLTeams - old UHL Teams.

Post by adsco » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:52 pm

Just because a team in the UHL didn't work, doesen't really mean it will work in the SPHL.

It generaly comes down to arena rent. You ned to pay about $1,750 per home date, get free practise ice, free office, and a free equiptment room to make a go of it in the SPHL. There are exceptions of course! But if you can't "break even" on 1,500 attendance - it becomes a risky investment. Generally, you are looking at spending $250,000 before you drop a puck, and it will take two or three years to make it back. That is assuming the Coach/GM is marketing oriented. A lot of teams in minor pro only have one full time person - when your profit is barely into the six figure catagory, additional employees can really hurt you.

Winston Salem, for example, had teams in the ECHL, the UHL and the SPHL (Southern League?). They averaged about 1,500 per game. It was different in the old East Coast League - Hockey was a real "curiousity". back then. More people came out.

Essentially, there are about 1,500 hockey fans in Winston Salem. and, to assume you are going to get them out to every game, you need to do some very slick marketing. It is possible.

A lot of people, high paid NHL executives included, think that a certain percentage of a stated population are going to attend. The first thing you learn in Marketing 101 is that idea is bunk.

There are always exceptions for attendance expectations, like, if you are across the street form a military base.

The same goes for most markets. If you are paying .50 cents per seat, based on the seating capacity, you might be able to make a go of it, if say, your capacity is 3,500. If you are paying .50 cents on a seating capacity of more than that, like say, 10,000 you are really "rolling the dice".

Richmond, for example has Brophy coaching. He brings instant credibility - he is older than dirt, and has probably forgotten more about Minor Pro Hockey than most people will ever know. People will come just because Brophy is coach. How many? Who knows! For Richmond to stay long term in the SPHL - they need to have a good rental rate from the arena.

I think that the SPHL will grow slowly, and have more stability than the UHL; but they are concentrating on a certian geographical area, and will only go to 12 teams.

Certianly, the SPHL, has a better plan than the other leagues - in that it is way cheaper to operate.

It would be nice to see Richmond prosper, if anyone can do it Brophy can, and it would be nice to see the League expand with other teams. Perhaps, some, within a close geographical distance to Richmond. Let's hope they do!

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:02 pm

I think you will see the SPHL try some of those old UHL towns and even go after some untapped markets to over the next few years. I hope that they grow and grow smart. The crappie part is I want be around to enjoy the whole deal. I am sure uncle Sam will be moving me before all this happens..oh well thats life. Good Luck SPHL
GO FORCE and ICE

Return to “SPHL”