Off-season

The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) forum
osopa506
Site Admin

Off-season

Post by osopa506 » Mon May 01, 2006 2:34 am

Well with the off season in full swing for the SPHL I thought we could make a section for off season happenings, signings, etc…

Here is a list of some things I could find from various articles to make a list…

- (RICHMOND) New Team…Richmond Renegades

- (RICHMOND) John Brophy, signed as coach of the Renegades

- (RICHMOND) Former Riverdogs defenseman, Brian Goudie, had agreed to terms and will become player/assistant coach with the Renegades

- (JACKSONVILLE) Rick Allain, a former Boston Bruin draft pick, takes over as Jacksonville coach for Ron Duguay.

- (JACKSONVILLE) Gilles Richard, who has served as the team's Business Manager for the past two seasons, has been named the Barracudas' General Manager.

- (KNOXVILLE) Coach Jim Bermingham will be back. The coach has agreed to a two-year contract.

- (FAYETTEVILLE) Derek Booth has re-signed for two more years.

- (FLORIDA) Team Consultant and Director Kevin Simpson has moved on.

- (FLORIDA) Chris LiPuma also ends his tenure with the Seals after spending four years with the organization. The past two years he worked for the team in public relations and corporate promotions.

I also would like to see a list of the veteran players (more than 224 regular season professional games) for each team so we know where some cuts might be made as each team is only allowed 3.

I think these are the ones for Florida…

Florida
- Steve Zoryk (706)
- Justin Keller (297)
- John Gurskis (445)
- Ryan Rivard (340)
- Billy Rochefort (272)
* David Deeves is close at 223 if my calculations were correct.

An article I read about Knoxville had these listed…

Knoxville
- Doug Searle
- Jason Bermingham
- Curtis Menzul
- Kevin Swider
- KJ Voorhees
- Jamie Ronayne
Last edited by osopa506 on Mon May 01, 2006 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guardfan3
Site Admin

Post by Guardfan3 » Mon May 01, 2006 3:21 am

The only 4 vets for Fayetteville are:

Kory Baker--unless he is called to a higher league, I think he will be back here to learn more from Derek as player/asst coach

Mike Fournier--I heard he won't be back, not playing anymore

BJ Stephens--I haven't heard anything on him one way or the other

Troy Linna--He is still up in the air as to what he wants to do next year. It depends on how his current job goes. But I think if he plays, it will be for us.

We won't have to cut anyone based on this list because of Fournier not playnig anymore. But there is no guarantee that these guys will all make the cut at training camp. Derek might bring in a whole new group of vets and not keep any of these guys. Or he might just keep 1 or 2 like he did last year. (We started the season with Linna as our only vet.)

osopa506
Site Admin

Post by osopa506 » Mon May 01, 2006 9:32 pm

PEE DEE - Veteran Edan Welch has signed for the 2006-2007 season

FireAntzFan06
Site Admin

Post by FireAntzFan06 » Fri May 05, 2006 3:20 am

Guardfan3 wrote:The only 4 vets for Fayetteville are:

Kory Baker--unless he is called to a higher league, I think he will be back here to learn more from Derek as player/asst coach

Mike Fournier--I heard he won't be back, not playing anymore

BJ Stephens--I haven't heard anything on him one way or the other

Troy Linna--He is still up in the air as to what he wants to do next year. It depends on how his current job goes. But I think if he plays, it will be for us.

We won't have to cut anyone based on this list because of Fournier not playnig anymore. But there is no guarantee that these guys will all make the cut at training camp. Derek might bring in a whole new group of vets and not keep any of these guys. Or he might just keep 1 or 2 like he did last year. (We started the season with Linna as our only vet.)
Do you think Kormanyos will be back?

Guardfan3
Site Admin

Post by Guardfan3 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:40 am

I hope so, but I have heard nothing yet on his return. Coach Booth would like to have something similar to last year, about 8-10 returning players, I just don't know who those players will be.

Collins says he is coming back.
Ferguson will most likely be back.
Schneider talks like he is planning to return, but hasn't actually said, "I am
coming back."
Linna, if he plays, it will probably be for us.
Corbett will NOT be back, I can almost guarantee.
Fournier, rumor says hes not playing next year.
Baker is cryptic when asked. I think he is holding out for a higher league, but
if its this league, look for him as player/asst coach again.
Hodgeson, who knows. I haven't heard anything one way or another.
Clarke, questionable, but if he plays next year, probably for us.
Stephens, No idea. I wouldn't mind seeing him return.
Katz, came into the team late, but was a respectable addition
Meanchoff--I have heard he may be done, but its not definite
Jackson, He and his wife both like it here, and like the fan support, but I don't
know a) if he will be playing, or b) if he does, will a spot be offered?
Whidden, Derek has no reason not to ask him to return. Question is, will he
get called to a higher league? He is skilled enough to play up.
Nistas, Again, hope he comes back, but certainly talented enough to play
higher.
Coulter, Would love for him to come back here, but dont know how things
turned out with his injury
Ridler, Thats a tough one to call. Derek should definitely give him the
opportunity if he is not selected for a team in a higher league. I
would hope that he would be willing to return here.

With the exception of Collins, no one has said that they will be back or specifically what their plans are for next season. This list is just my impressions based on conversations I have had either with them or with other fans who have offered their opinions, or my hopes for whether or not they return. None of it is set in stone, including Collins (remember last season, he said he was coming back, then went to play somewhere else).

Sorry, FAF06, I know you only asked about Nick, but I decided to go ahead and give my thoughts on the whole team. If I hear anything further, I will let you know, but that is where we stand right now, as I see it.

FireAntzFan06
Site Admin

Post by FireAntzFan06 » Fri May 05, 2006 1:06 pm

Guardfan3 wrote:I hope so, but I have heard nothing yet on his return. Coach Booth would like to have something similar to last year, about 8-10 returning players, I just don't know who those players will be.

Collins says he is coming back.
Ferguson will most likely be back.
Schneider talks like he is planning to return, but hasn't actually said, "I am
coming back."
Linna, if he plays, it will probably be for us.
Corbett will NOT be back, I can almost guarantee.
Fournier, rumor says hes not playing next year.
Baker is cryptic when asked. I think he is holding out for a higher league, but
if its this league, look for him as player/asst coach again.
Hodgeson, who knows. I haven't heard anything one way or another.
Clarke, questionable, but if he plays next year, probably for us.
Stephens, No idea. I wouldn't mind seeing him return.
Katz, came into the team late, but was a respectable addition
Meanchoff--I have heard he may be done, but its not definite
Jackson, He and his wife both like it here, and like the fan support, but I don't
know a) if he will be playing, or b) if he does, will a spot be offered?
Whidden, Derek has no reason not to ask him to return. Question is, will he
get called to a higher league? He is skilled enough to play up.
Nistas, Again, hope he comes back, but certainly talented enough to play
higher.
Coulter, Would love for him to come back here, but dont know how things
turned out with his injury
Ridler, Thats a tough one to call. Derek should definitely give him the
opportunity if he is not selected for a team in a higher league. I
would hope that he would be willing to return here.

With the exception of Collins, no one has said that they will be back or specifically what their plans are for next season. This list is just my impressions based on conversations I have had either with them or with other fans who have offered their opinions, or my hopes for whether or not they return. None of it is set in stone, including Collins (remember last season, he said he was coming back, then went to play somewhere else).

Sorry, FAF06, I know you only asked about Nick, but I decided to go ahead and give my thoughts on the whole team. If I hear anything further, I will let you know, but that is where we stand right now, as I see it.
Thanks for the insight. We came into the season late, Feb., but have really gotten into hockey. The team as a whole seem to be a great bunch of guys, it is just the Jackson and Kormanyos are my sons and my fave. I understand Nick has already been here for two seasons, but I surely would love to see him play a whole season again. I can not wait until the new season starts. I'm having hockey w/drawals. I've been keeping up with the Canes on TV, but nothing beats being at the actual game.

Thanks again for the info.

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Fri May 05, 2006 4:30 pm

Jackson insite:
After talking with his wife at the last game she said they would not be back next year. The only way he would be back in the SPHL is if Daytona Beach had a team this year. It was stated some players get extra bennies and things were not what they seemed from the outside. Not starting anything just passing on infomation that was given to us. I guess he needs to be close to NY because of the of thier baby. Hopefully we get a good group of guys back this year but if not Coach Booth will put a winning team on the ice for us.
GO FORCE and ICE

Mike4FireAntz34
Site Admin

Post by Mike4FireAntz34 » Sun May 07, 2006 8:16 pm

Im hoping that Josh Welter will come back to play for us next year!
GO GUARD, 6-1 looking at 7-1" this weekend!

Guardfan3
Site Admin

Post by Guardfan3 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:18 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if he does. When I posted the above, I was just going by the final roster, but if I remember correctly, Coach said he tried to get him back here. But by the time he was able to return, the league deadline had passed for players who left to play overseas. I know if he is back in the States and he doesn't get the call from a higher league, Derek will do everything in his power to get him back here.

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Mon May 08, 2006 8:46 pm

I would think Josh will be playing at the next level this coming year
GO FORCE and ICE

Return to “SPHL”