SPHL Playoff Attendance

The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) forum
Mike4FireAntz34
Site Admin

SPHL Playoff Attendance

Post by Mike4FireAntz34 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:03 am

Is it me...do does everyone else notice the poor playoff attendance this year.... the League averaged over 3,000 but they playoffs is only getting about 2,000 the games...maybe they should keep the same prices that the Reg Season ticket prices were...and maybe more than 3,000 would come out every playoff game....

Discuss

mitchg73
Site Admin

Post by mitchg73 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:57 am

I Truelly dont understand but this happens in almost every league

Mike4FireAntz34
Site Admin

Post by Mike4FireAntz34 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:05 am

Only College and Pro Sports get good Playoff Attendance ... Maybe next year each team should use the Reg Season ticket prices for playoff games...or have a buy 1 get 1 free playoff game tickets....it might help the attendance in the Playoffs

osopa506
Site Admin

Attendance

Post by osopa506 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:42 pm

Florida fan here... I know we are down a bit in average but one game was a Tuesday night which always draws low and the others were Fridays which are also normal working days. We tend to draw better on Saturday games since we are outside of the metropolitan area of Orlando and many people have a long drive here. I was listening to the Knoxville game last night and the broadcaster said that they were way down last night because it is school spring break in the area now...and after thinking about it I am sure this is the same problem around the league! Also here in Florida the pricing was actually cheaper on the season ticket holder playoff seats than the regular season!

zerotollerance
Site Admin

attendance woes

Post by zerotollerance » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:24 pm

Unfortunately, in this league (and almost all minor pro) we have 3 or 5 game series and little advance notice for the next game. It is very hard to promote a game without a date. You may only have 24-72 hour notice to promote the next game. Plus like someone else said when you start getting Tuesday night games...good luck.

Personally, I think STH's should get FREE playoff tickets and everyone else should get two-for-one's. I don't necesarily think price is the only issue, but it would help.

Also, the barns aren't helping. PD basically got home ice as a 6 seed because of scheduling issues in Knoxville. I don't know how to solve this issue, but it is a problem.

I Talk To Myself
Site Admin

Post by I Talk To Myself » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:52 pm

I was discussing this issue with the ticket guru from one of the teams. One big issue is the lack of GROUP SALES. As mentioned, with a 5-7 day heads up, most companies can't put together a big "group sales" package. No group sales means you are stuck with your season ticket base (generally between 1000 and 1500) some pregame sales, plus the walkup sales.

Unlike the NHL where the playoff ticket is the "trendy" ticket, in the minors, the playoff ticket is for the loyal fan. It gives the teams a good look at thier rock solid ticket base, however total numbers will be down.

Peace out homies
Dave

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:31 pm

Never really under stood the jump in prices just for the playoffs. Not like the NHL where it will seel out no matter what. I think the teams try and take advantage of the "playoffs" and jack prices up plus you are also right about the weekend dates

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:34 pm

Dave, good post. Your guru hit the nail on the head. We'll see articles questioning playoff attendance from experienced beat writers (see today's Lewiston paper), and I wish they'd just ask the head ticket guy instead of chastising the fan base.

Frankie53182
Site Admin

Post by Frankie53182 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:51 pm

Talking with our folks here in Knoxville that is exactly it...GROUPS!!! I dont see price being an issue here either because playoff tickets only went up a dollar and if you look at the regular season attendance it shows pricing wasnt an issue then. Just my two cents worth.

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:24 pm

I know here in fayetteville all seats were $15 so some seats went down but where most of the fans normaly sit went up $5 per seat. I know it the big leagues thats not much but when you are talking minor league (A league hockey) i think that jump really hurts

Return to “SPHL”