How is SPHL?

The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) forum
crackerjack2911
Site Admin

How is SPHL?

Post by crackerjack2911 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Hey guys.

I grew up around ECHL hockey Greenville, SC. Grew up on the Grrrowl and moved right after the Road Warriors moved to town. I live about an hour from Fayetteville NC where the Fire Antz play. I have lived here 4 years and really getting the itch to watch some minor league sports. I've always been a big fan of the intimate settings for sporting events. Is it worth my time to go to a game? Are they fun for my kids?

What kind of state is SPHL in? I don't want to start going...and driving only for them to fold in a year or so. I would really like to expose my son to this type of things b/c it was my childhood.

Basically, is it good entertaining hockey/atmosphere that's worth my time?

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:59 pm

If you're close to Fayetteville, know that they've been fairly stable.

Half the SPHL teams are original franchises in their original cities. I'd say they have trouble moving beyond 8 teams, and there's a market or two (certainly Peoria) who will probably move out once the next ECHL (or even AHL) opportunity arises... but I'd say you should be good for 10 years. The SPHL occupies a niche that, at this point, is rather well carved out.

If you want more stability in minor league hockey than 10 years, you either move to Hershey or Rochester or throw your arms in the air and wave them like you just don't care. Long term stability in minor league hockey never really existed.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Return to “SPHL”