Asheville Aces Return?

The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) forum
mitchg73
Site Admin

Post by mitchg73 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:33 pm

SPHL league meetings jan 29th in jacksonville....i;ve heard mention of 4 echl teams having reps there ..also ownerships groups for birmingham and tallahasse...so alot should come out after the 29th...yes the knoxville building is old almost 50 years old....but we still are 2nd in league attendace..ashevilles building is bad yes...but le dump (knoxville colisium) isnt the ritz either..but we still yet pack the house...anyways good luck to asheville and its hockey fans hopefully something can get worked out
Last edited by mitchg73 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:07 pm

The main reason the rent is "only" $2,500 a game is there's no competition and no changeover costs.

Putting in hockey after putting in indoor football will have serious changeover issues and would cause higher rent.

Before the last team left, I believe the offer for year two from the City was $2,500-$3,000 rent a game since the Altitude left. Still too high in the eyes of the hockey team.

It would make no sense to even consider bringing in a hockey team until the Task Force decides what to do with the arena, and then the state legislature has to support whatever room or restaurant tax increase is required. The state hasn't been helpful so far. That should be resolved by June. Either they'll do nothing, do a so-so renovation (which makes hockey impossible while it's done), build a new arena and convert the current arena to a performing arts center (in which one group wants, hockey can't happen while they do that), or the preferred option, a new arena, a separate performing arts center, and then sell the Civic Center after those are built. I'd argue it's cheaper to do that then try to do a very expensive renovation. Then it doesn't matter if hockey or anything else is there for a while.

I don't know which of the four will happen yet. There are groups pushing each option.

Also, the parking rate is now $7 a car, way too high the city of Asheville's size for indoor sports. Why pay $7 a car when you can pay zero for parking for Asheville Tourists, high school football, etc. I have argued seek a joint increase of the car tax and use that to pay off the parking garage bonds, then you can afford having flexible rates so parking won't be so damn expensive downtown. Paying $7 parking while paying $5 for a gun show is stupid.

I think the City has bigger things to worry about then placating a hockey league that didn't deliver on promises last time.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

mitchg73
Site Admin

Post by mitchg73 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:54 pm

knoxville's lease is $2000 a game . plus a few perks.....not bad for a building that seats 4800 for hockey and is averaging 3500

adsco
Site Admin

Arena pricing! ...... & Brubaker!

Post by adsco » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:52 am

The economic feasibility of the SPHL, and it's franchises, is based on an econimic model that is quite different than the ECHL, UHL, or Cent., as I understand it - most teams pay in the area of .50 cents per seat - based on seating capacity.

As far as Jeff Brubaker is concerned: I wouln't count him out of anything. There are lots of investors, in his circles that are looking for investments, and the SPHL is a far superior investment than the ECHL. Plus there are a lot of people that remember the way he played - and if he is as committed to running a franchise as he was to his spirited play - he'll be back with a force!

Maybe he made a few mistakes; but so what, every one has to learn!

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:20 pm

Well I don't know the guy but I sure would like to see Ashville get a team back. I am just want the SPHL to grow and get stronger with each year. Looks like this could be a good off season for the league.

KLM Line
Site Admin

Re: Knoxville's barn

Post by KLM Line » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:42 pm

I visited Knoxville this year and that barn is a great place to watch a game. The seats (with the exception of the endzones) are great and have good sightlines. They are close to the ice, the fans can DEFINATELY be heard. It might be old, the seats are wooden, but you feel like a hockey fan in there.

In addition the 5000 seats (my guess) are just about right for an SPHL franchise as those of you who have been to the bigger arenas will attest.

I don't know about the infrastructure, locker rooms or things along that line, but I can't see any obvious reasons that Knoxville couldn't use that barn for another 10 years or more. Longer with some basic updates.

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:50 pm

Wooden seats thats so cool. Nice to know that places like that can still draw a croud. I bet Fayetteville wish they would have stuck with what they had before they built the new place years back

mitchg73
Site Admin

Post by mitchg73 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:38 am

This should tell you that the ice bears front office are doing their job..2nd in attendance in the oldest building in the league.I like the building myself and the city has given us new sound sytem,a new zamboni last season,yes its old and has wooden seats but its a great hockey barn.fyi it was built in 1960.

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:01 am

You are so right by saying that the front office is doing a good job. I think our front office is getting better than they have been.

Return to “SPHL”