Lafayette Team?

The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) forum
adsco
Site Admin

Post by adsco » Sun May 24, 2009 12:30 pm

[quote=""zcientist""]The Louisiana IceGators will be playing at Blackham Coliseum, thus no expensive arena rent. This could be the defining decision for this franchise.

Less overhead=Less attendance required to break even[/quote]

There is more truth to that statement than you know. To be successful in the SPHL the rental threshold has to be in the $1,500 to $2,000 per game area (.50 cents a seat).

Which begs the question. Where are the areanas that have seating capacity in the area of 3000-3500 or less?

These locations are prospective locations for SPHL hockey.
Last edited by adsco on Sun May 24, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff » Sun May 24, 2009 6:19 pm

There just aren't that many arenas that size in the southeast that have ice capabilites. You're not going to find an arena like First Arena in Elmira, NY (3,784) in the southeast.

hockeybub
Site Admin

Post by hockeybub » Sun May 24, 2009 6:32 pm

Despite the bad economy everywhere else, the economy in Lafayette is still fairly stable, and hockey interest is still strong here, so I do think it will do well. There certainly is a hockey buzz around the city. I only hope that the level of play is the same level that we experienced with the ECHL.

Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff » Mon May 25, 2009 2:03 am

Won't be, but it will be entertaining. The style should be close to what you remember because you were back before the time the league went more toe-pick. Physical, good number of fights but not a goon league, a good amount of skill despite being a "lower" level of league.

zcientist
Site Admin

Post by zcientist » Tue May 26, 2009 5:05 am

[quote=""adsco""]There is more truth to that statement than you know. To be successful in the SPHL the rental threshold has to be in the $1,500 to $2,000 per game area (.50 cents a seat).

Which begs the question. Where are the areanas that have seating capacity in the area of 3000-3500 or less?

These locations are prospective locations for SPHL hockey.[/quote]

This situation with the Shreveport Mudbugs could mean the SPHL in 2010-11. The Hirsch Memorial Coliseum still has ice and that would be cheaper rent than CenturyTel Center. The capacity for basketball is 8500 and arena rent is 12% of ticket sales.
http://www.statefairoflouisiana.com/hirsch.aspx

The Monroe Civic Center actually was a great place to see hockey when the Moccasins were in the WPHL. The attendance was still in the mid 2k area toward the end. Concert capacity is 5600, which puts hockey seating capacity and rent in the neighborhood of the desired range of the SPHL.
http://www.monroela.us/docs/civic_cente ... _sheet.pdf

I mention both cities, because it would make better business sense to draft both teams into the SPHL rather than one or the other, due to natural geographic rivalry between the two. But not until 2010-11.
Last edited by zcientist on Tue May 26, 2009 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Easy
Site Admin

Post by Big Easy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:48 am

I'm excited to see the Ice Gators return to Lafayette. The original Ice Gators were my first hockey love. I traveled from NOLA to Lafayette many times for games....until NOLA got the Brass. Before things went south, Ice Gator games were off the hook in Lafayette!
If integrity is missing, so are you.

CootaKag73
Site Admin

Lafayette Team

Post by CootaKag73 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:29 pm

They better do come CPR or something to bring Lafayette back. Not only because he rocks, but hes got sit on ppl. You NEED those types to stay breathing.

Return to “SPHL”