Lafayette Team?

The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) forum
susyQ
Site Admin

Lafayette Team?

Post by susyQ » Sun May 03, 2009 7:00 pm

Does anyone have any information on a team in Lafayette, Louisiana?

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Mon May 04, 2009 2:33 am

None yet...just Pensacola and Biloxi.

I do think the SPHL would do a good job there, because it certainly fits in the I-10 direction they're going (They might want to consider adding Baton Rouge, Mobile, Augusta, and possibly a return to Jacksonville and/or Macon with that direction)
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

susyQ
Site Admin

SPH in Lafayette

Post by susyQ » Tue May 05, 2009 3:32 pm

Our local news mentioned last week talks were under way to bring a team to Lafayette for the fall season. I have not seen or heard anything since then. Oh to have hockey back!!!!!! Talk is they may even keep the Ice Gator name. That was our ECHL team.

zcientist
Site Admin

Post by zcientist » Fri May 15, 2009 4:28 am

Friday May 15th, 2pm
Wingate-Wyndham Hotel
Lafayette LA

The SPHL will hold a press conference about the apparent return of the IceGators(which will be the name, that won't change). Commissioner Jim Combs will be present. Even though it was reported on KLFY-TV tonight, the story is not on their website or the SPHL site at the time of this post.

It may be single "A", but I'm quite amped about the return of hockey here. The old I-10 rivalries with Pensacola, Mississippi, Jacksonville and possibly Mobile would be great.

The Cajundome apparently does not even have the ice surface any longer. So, knowing the unaffordability of Cajundome rent, chances are quite good that this team will play at Blackham Coliseum. I will clarify that nothing has been stated publicly on the venue where the team will play; that should present itself during Friday's press conference. I'm perfectly cool with old-school venues/hockey barns, so I'm all for playing at Blackham.
Last edited by zcientist on Fri May 15, 2009 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Fri May 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Congratulations to Lafayette! Good to see the old I-10 rivalries coming back!

Now let's have teams in Macon, Augusta, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Mobile, B'ham, BR, and NOLA again to complete the stretch!
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

zcientist
Site Admin

Post by zcientist » Sat May 16, 2009 1:07 am

The Louisiana IceGators will be playing at Blackham Coliseum, thus no expensive arena rent. This could be the defining decision for this franchise.

Less overhead=Less attendance required to break even

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Sat May 16, 2009 2:27 pm

This is like ECHL ver2.0 -- hopefully these teams can do better the 2nd time around. The smaller operational budgets should give them a fighting chance.

Song
Site Admin

Icegator forum and information

Post by Song » Tue May 19, 2009 10:31 pm

You can get information at http://www.gatorforum.com. The oringial IG message board and still the original!

hockeybub
Site Admin

Louisiana Icegators are back!

Post by hockeybub » Thu May 21, 2009 1:26 am

Yes SuzyQ, the Icegators are back. They will begin play in October 2009 at Blackham Coliseum in Lafayette, LA. Season tickets go on sale June 1, and will be available I think at the Coliseum, and according to Ron Handy, the head coach, there will be media announcements as to where else to purchase tickets. Supposedly, the level of play will be the same as the previous Gator team. Great news for the mourning hockey fans in Louisiana. You can probably get more info on http://www.sphl.com.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Thu May 21, 2009 12:20 pm

[quote=""hockeybub""]Great news for the mourning hockey fans in Louisiana. You can probably get more info on http://www.sphl.com.[/quote]

Fixed your link: http://www.thesphl.com/

This is great news for SPHL and hockey in Louisiana. To be honest, I'm surprised that the SPHL will be adding all these new markets despite the bad economy. If these 'new' franchises prove to be successful this could be a major turning point for the league.

Return to “SPHL”