Is the site OK?

robster2001
Site Admin

Is the site OK?

Post by robster2001 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Other than Dan Krieger's articles, there have been minimal updates in the last week, and no tweets of new articles in 3 weeks.

Is everything OK?

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:28 am

[quote=""robster2001""]Other than Dan Krieger's articles, there have been minimal updates in the last week, and no tweets of new articles in 3 weeks.

Is everything OK?[/quote]

They have many people who used to post on the MBs but are constantly told how dumb they are to talk alternate sports potential on an Alternate/minor sports website. They stop posting and then stop visiting, traffic goes down... etc etc... If there is an issue I'm not surprised... but maybe its just summer vacation

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:33 am

[quote=""robster2001""]Other than Dan Krieger's articles, there have been minimal updates in the last week, and no tweets of new articles in 3 weeks.

Is everything OK?[/quote]

Paul has been MIA for close to a year now. I think he has other business ventures keeping him occupied, but both boards and main page are certainly hurting due to those interests.

I don't know about other devices. But this site is hard to navigate on a PC anymore.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:36 pm

Interesting! this board has probably not scaled as much as it should have by this point, the numbers reflect this. But was that the original goal?

Many of you guys have supported the site over the years, but look at the registered member list numbers well below something that had promise to scale if that were the original goal,I'm sure Paul knows and may be conducting this just as he wishes or possibly able to right now.

If nothing else this has been an interesting community with a host of interesting guest from all walks of life, you never know who is behind a screen name ;)

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:43 pm

These boards existed long before the "Facebooks", "Twitters", and "Create your own sites and blogs" do today. Not to mention Minor League/Independent sports in general having their own websites, usually with livestreams & interaction built right in.

IIRC - The number of active members here was usually in the 300's in the days of so many "trying" leagues being followed here. Today, I for one, just can't keep up with the Fly-By-Nights. (Most of which seem to be in indoor football).

It always at least seemed to me that Basketball (1), Indoor football (2), were the most posted spots here. With Minor league Hockey & Indoor Soccer running a distant 3rd & 4th.

Looking at my account. I can't believe I became a member ten years ago. Furthermore, looking back at the sports print in 1974 and comparing it to 1984, or 1984 to 1994....Todays changes don't seem to be that difficult to understand. What was new here in the early 2000's, technology has changed some 15 years later. The fact that this overall site still exists after 18 years (with message boards intact), I'd think at least tells us that there is a pulse on changing while trying to keep the core intact, somewhere.
Last edited by tops804 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:00 pm

[quote=""4th&long""]They have many people who used to post on the MBs but are constantly told how dumb they are to talk alternate sports potential on an Alternate/minor sports website. They stop posting and then stop visiting, traffic goes down... etc etc... [/quote]

Maybe they should try being smarter.

Maybe they should adjust their points of view in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Don't blame us when you refuse to accept objective reality.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

afdave
Site Admin

Post by afdave » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:16 pm

[quote=""tops804""]Paul has been MIA for close to a year now. I think he has other business ventures keeping him occupied, but both boards and main page are certainly hurting due to those interests.

I don't know about other devices. But this site is hard to navigate on a PC anymore.[/quote]

Not sure why you are mentioning Paul... maybe it wasn't very publically mentioned, but, Paul sold OSC off last year to Infinity Sports, so, Paul has been MIA because it isn't his site anymore.

To that extent, whereas when it was just a guy with some passion running it, people probably felt like it was more "personal"... now it is part of a "corporate cog", whether that affects how people feel about it... don't know.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:23 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Maybe they should try being smarter.

Maybe they should adjust their points of view in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Don't blame us when you refuse to accept objective reality.[/quote]

Chase people away - good business model.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:27 am

It's not my business.

Allowing misinformation, conspiracy theories and stupid takes to populate a site - good business model.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 am

[quote=""tops804""]

It always at least seemed to me that Basketball (1), Indoor football (2), were the most posted spots here. With Minor league Hockey & Indoor Soccer running a distant 3rd & 4th.
[/quote]

When the ABA and PBL were more visible, I don't think the place was ever more hopping. I think a close second was when the UFL and the other nonsense outdoor football leagues were visible.

Return to “Announcements”