Why USHL and NAHL?

Pounder
Site Admin

Why USHL and NAHL?

Post by Pounder » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:13 pm

Obviously, I'm in the mood to stir the pot. It'll pass, but the question begs.

The USHL and NAHL are strictly amateur. Players in both leagues retain NCAA eligibility. Why are these teams on the board?

I've wondered about Canadian Major Junior before, as well. They hardly get any mention here, just the occasional poster who stops by to ask if anyone gives a darn. Mind you, these players are paid per diem, therefore the NCAA considers them professional and thus ineligible. I've seen a LOT of players whose names you'd recognize come from Portland Winter Hawks and their opponents (mentioning Portland in this vein, given recent performance, pretty much tells my age... but being hip is overrated).
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:57 pm

You know I've wondered the same thing. The NAHL and USHL are on a same level as the BCHL which is a direct feeder of talent into the WHL. The Canadian guys are all paid per-diem, housing, plus earn a year of school tuition for each year in the league. This last tuition re-imbursement has been a big cost on the books.

The thing is that there are forums who are strictly for hockey and junior hockey, even on the teams pages sometimes that are used.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Return to “Junior Hockey”