As promiced, the Jim Cashman article:

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:54 am

I'm thinking of going to the hearings wearing a #77 jersey when this finally goes down...
And that is all the people need to know!

queenie
Site Admin

Cashman breaks his silence and tells yet more lies

Post by queenie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:52 pm

Another article has gone in the simcoe reformer http://www.simcoereformer.ca/Sports/370802.html

And of course in true Jim Cashman style he blames everyone else for the league disintegrating yet again. He even claims he is going to pay the arena and clean up its arrears.....ha ha ha ha, what is he waiting for? He cannot receive unemployment because he never had any earnings to begin with, I don't think he can borrow or swindle any money out of everyone else because he has run out of people (for now anyway).

It is the classic thing, I'll pay ya, when I get the money, this num-nuts will never learn....

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:02 pm

Here's the article:
IceCats owner, GM speak
Jim Cashman, Mike Tatarka give very different views on collapse of NEHL and Norfolk IceCats

Steven Noble SIMCOE REFORMER
Thursday January 24, 2008

Norfolk IceCats owner and North Eastern Hockey League director of operations Jim Cashman broke his silence yesterday and opened up about the league and the team’s struggles.
Norfolk County locked the IceCats out of Talbot Gardens on the weekend for failing to pay for ice-time. One team owner, Wayne Premo of the Copper City Chiefs, subsequently confirmed that Cashman had suspended operations and cancelled the season.
Cashman, a Fort Erie native, is the owner of the IceCats and president and founder of the league, which began in 2003.
Cashman told the Reformer he was hoping this would be a year the young league could build on. Instead, the league barely got off the ground before teams began showing up for road games with less than half a full roster. Some teams didn’t show up at all.
In starting out the season, Cashman’s first step was to move one of his own franchises, the IceCats, from Utica to Simcoe. He found a local man with a good hockey background and asked him to be his pointman and the team’s general manager.
Norfolk IceCats general manager Mike Tatarka set out to build something too, believing Cashman’s idea was a good one.
Both still believe in the idea, but have their own version of why it never succeeded.
Cashman says the lack of individual, vested owners was one major problem. The second major problem, he says, was a group of players who weren’t committed.
"The dedication doesn’t seem to be there. The players, unless they’re making a few hundred bucks a week playing, then they aren’t dedicated to going (on to road games). So it just got to the point where enough was enough," Cashman says, noting he’s lost a large sum of money trying to make the league viable.
Tatarka says Cashman’s own commitment didn’t come as advertised. He says Cashman made a string of broken appointments and broken promises.

Tatarka estimates he spent at least 200 free hours since August trying to make the IceCats viable. On the flipside, he says Cashman never showed up to help out with sponsorship, scouting or anything else after one preseason meeting with the Simcoe and District Minor Hockey Association.
Cashman says the reason he and Tatarka failed to coordinate effective meetings and a sponsorship campaign was a matter of circumstances and timing.
"Nobody could ever get on the same page and be at the same place at the same time. It was just one of those things where things just didn’t work out as well as we expected it to or wanted to."
Cashman said he also struggled to bear the weight of being the soul member of the league executive. On any given weekend, (league games were exclusively on weekends) he found himself trying to fill rosters for teams who had players bailing at the last minute. Not to mention, he says, he was constantly under the stress of figuring out how to make his team and other struggling teams break even.
Tatarka says he was particularly unimpressed with Cashman’s failure to communicate with him about the team and league’s problems.
"Jim (Cashman) never gave me a straight answer about anything . . . I just wanted to do something to volunteer and have fun with," Tatarka says.
Tatarka says the last time he spoke to Cashman was two weeks ago when the owner told him the schedule needed to be reset and the IceCats game planned for that weekend was cancelled.
Then Cashman stopped returning calls and e-mails, Tatarka says.
Tatarka estimates he has called Cashman "50 times" since then, trying to get a clearer picture of the status of the team and league. Cashman says he
e-mailed players and executives around the league yesterday afternoon letting them know the season has been cancelled.
Tatarka says his biggest regret is that the local sponsors who did get on board didn’t get their money’s worth.
"It was an experience and it would have been a good experience if it had worked out," Tatarka says ruefully. "It sucks and now I wish my name wasn’t tied to it. But it was a learning experience.
"I thought it was a good idea and I’d like to see it back here some day -- but not with him (Cashman) running it."
Cashman says he still believes in the idea but points out he will be more careful of who he chooses to do business with in the future.
He says he will pay Norfolk County the outstanding debt for the IceCats ice time and still believes Simcoe would make a good home for an NEHL hockey team.

Steven Noble
(519) 426-3528 ext. 121
snoble@bowesnet.com
Mike Killbreath thinks this guy is bad...

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:00 am

Well it looks like Jim is back in hiding. (I am sad, he never returned my calls.)

At this point it is all going to come down to when the litigation begins as to weather or not Jim can skate by here. The case against him is pretty strong from what I hear but there are no guarantees in court.

Stay tuned kiddies!

Hockey_NUT
Site Admin

Prediction - Cash gets off scott-free

Post by Hockey_NUT » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:27 pm

Does Jim know about these legal allegations??? My prediction nothing happens to him.......he has dodge the bullet this far....plus what are you going to get out of him??? - His allowance money for cleaning his room.

Stars Fan
- The only legit team in the NEHL

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:02 pm

Jim was indeed served so he does know about them and if he misses a court date, he is screwed. My prediction is that he will represent himself and crash and burn.

Hockey_NUT
Site Admin

Cashless Legal

Post by Hockey_NUT » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:27 pm

Oh....Well we would all like to see justice served.......once and for all.

Hockey_NUT
Site Admin

Whats the Latest on Cashless?

Post by Hockey_NUT » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:09 pm

Is Cashless in Jail yet?? Whats the latest on him.......?? His antics were definately comical.

queenie
Site Admin

just a matter of time

Post by queenie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:29 pm

As the title says....cashless' days are numbered....
As far as jail, that is definitely a possiblity....
I can tell you that Cashless will never run an ice hockey league ever again....he is known as a con artist in every city he has ever frequented, and for the cities he has not yet reached, the word is out, no one (who is normal) will ever work with this good-for-nothing, sociopathic, delusional, dead-beat. He is a menace to society....

You'll all be sure to hear about future updates......

GoalieGirl16
Site Admin

Post by GoalieGirl16 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:28 am

[quote=""queenie""]I can tell you that Cashless will never run an ice hockey league ever again....he is known as a con artist in every city he has ever frequented, and for the cities he has not yet reached, the word is out, no one (who is normal) will ever work with this good-for-nothing, sociopathic, delusional, dead-beat. He is a menace to society....

[/quote]

I worked with the Jamestown Titans in the first NEHL. Yes, he screwed us and the rink over. He was a con man before then and the good people of Jamestown fell for his crap. Four years later, many other cities have fallen for his crap. How long can he keep it up? He's done pretty well so far. Again, Jamestown fell for a con man in Andrew Haines of the MAHL. These people are good... It's amazing. At least I had the good sense to personally steer clear of Haines. You only have to fool me once...

Return to “Minor League Hockey”