UHL back in Fraser

Global-Hockey
Site Admin

UHL back in Fraser

Post by Global-Hockey » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:37 pm

The UHL has expanded back into the Detroit Area with a new team to be located in Fraser Michigan, the former home of the Detroit and Michigan Falcons. The new coach was named today.

Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:47 am

Gary Unger. He coach of the Alabama Slammers of the WHA2 last season.

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:19 am

According to today's Detroit News:
The United Hockey League has 12 teams in seven states, including five in Michigan. The other four are the Flint Generals, Kalamazoo Wings, Muskegon Fury and Port Huron Beacons.
The 5th would be Fraser , which I'm guessing will use "Detroit" in their name. This suggests that there are 12 teams with the Fraser francise, but there are already 12 without it with the addition of Danbury. So, is Fraser a new, 13th, francise, or are one of the existing ones relocating to keep it at 12? Is Fraser a go for 04/05? I assume so if they have a head coach already, but the article isn't clear on it.

Global-Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Global-Hockey » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:59 am

Pac: My understanding is that it is an expansion team, and they will skate this season

Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:31 pm

I've heard many places that they already have a name and, no, it doesn't have "Detroit" in it. They are to be called the Motor City Mechanics.

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:20 am

Where are these "many places"? I am sitting less than a 10 minute drive from where they will play and can find very little about it anywhere. And, just out of curiosity, if you are 16 as you have stated in a previous post, how do you have access to said "many places".

I hope your wrong. That name sucks (imo). Reminds me of Mike & the Mechanics. I can hear it now as the players come on the ice "All I need is a miracle". :lol:

When they were trying to put indy baseball in Mt. Clemens, MI, I was partial to the name "Motown Sounds". Thats what I would have suggested if it had gone as far as a name the team contest. Don't know what the copyright implications would be, but it was a heck of a lot better than what the investors were calling the team the "Mt. Clemen's Clems", and is a heck of alot better than the "Mechanics". (again imo)

Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:00 am

That name, as well as the info on the franchise, was leaked before the franchise was ever made public. I've heard it on 4hockeyfans.com (wncsport.com goes there, too) and boards.sportslogos.net

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:09 pm

Yep, Geoff, your right. The local Fox station in Detroit just confirmed the name "Motor City Mechanics" on the morning news. Still don't like the name, but I guess I'll support them anyway. It's nice to have professional sports back in Macomb county for the first time since the Falcons packed their bags for Port Huron.

whoopee23
Site Admin

Press Conference

Post by whoopee23 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:16 pm

According to Great Lakes Sport Complex, where they will play, there is a press conference tommorrow at 1:00 p.m. Curious to see how they plan on marketing the next few months.

Global-Hockey
Site Admin

Post by Global-Hockey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:08 pm

Tickets will go on sale July 8th for the Motor City Mechanics. The team is not a relocated team, but is an expansion team. Kansas City will be announced within the next couple days. The Mechanics will play in the old home of the Michigan/Detroit Falcons teams.

Return to “Minor League Hockey”