CPHL Changing Names

whoopee23
Site Admin

Post by whoopee23 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:40 pm

On the CPHL website there is a new page up "About the NEHL". It discusses what the league is designed to do. Im glad it is being updated but needs to be written a little better, but it gets its point across. A clear, concise, well written page is what needs to be on any official website.

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:10 pm

whoopee23 wrote:On the CPHL website there is a new page up "About the NEHL". It discusses what the league is designed to do. Im glad it is being updated but needs to be written a little better, but it gets its point across. A clear, concise, well written page is what needs to be on any official website.
I saw that and it didn't look all that different from past CPHL/NEHL mission statements. Like I said at the beginning of last year, Cashman's SAYING the right things but the question is weather he is capable of making good on what he is pledging to do with this thing.

I still question weather the reborn NEHL will ever play a game as the quality of play will be questionable at best and I am not sold on fans paying to see what could end up being a glorified adult travel league. Especially if no one city has a team to call their own.
And that is all the people need to know!

whoopee23
Site Admin

Post by whoopee23 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:34 pm

I think there will be a few games played but the season will not conclude. But I really am hoping it will work, I really do pull for these smaller leagues.

hfxhockeyfan
Site Admin

Post by hfxhockeyfan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:27 am

The level of play in the CEHL is very good.
The CEHL seems to be very stable, and I've heard that the CEHL will expand to Quebec next year.

whoopee23
Site Admin

Post by whoopee23 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:41 pm

We were speaking about the CPHL now called the NEHL. I do agree that the Canadian CEHL will thrive, but this thread is about the low level NEHL based in the Northeast US. You can check it out at http://www.aleaguehockey.com

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Thu May 11, 2006 4:36 am

NEHL news:
NEHL COMING TO MON VALLEY, PA

5/10/06 - The North Eastern Hockey League would like to announce that the league is coming to the Mon Valley in Pennsylvania for the upcoming 2006-07 season.

The team will be playing out of the Rostraver Ice Gardens in Belle Vernon, Pa.

"We are very excited to be playing in the Mon Valley" stated League President Jim Cashman. "We feel that it is a great market for the NEHL and expect great support even with an NHL team right up the road in Pittsburgh."

The NEHL franchise is looking to fill a void for people or families that can't afford to pay to see an NHL game. With NHL ticket prices so high as well as parking costs and concessions it can cost a family of four $200 or more for a game.

"We are very excited to be the host rink for the NEHL in the Mon Valley. We look forward to building a strong community relationship with the NEHL" stated Jim Murphy, Owner/ General Manager of The Gardens.

The league is set to begin play in early November. Free agent camps and try-out camps will be held prior to the seasons start.

“I am very excited and looking forward to the NEHL coming to the Mon Valley” said Mark Cerini, Mon Valley General Manager. “I know it is going to be great hockey. The fans of this area will appreciate watching this level of hockey and I know they will not be disappointed. With the area’s support, the NEHL will be here for a long time.”

"We will be an alternative for the fans that can't afford NHL prices" said Cashman. "With ticket prices for an NEHL game being $8 at the door and a season pass for $60 for all 8 games is very affordable. Also, for these prices you are right on top of the action instead of paying $30 for a ticket to be in the nose bleed sections of an NHL game."

Anyone seeking ticket or try-out information can contact the league office either via email or telephone.

More cities will be announced as soon as the league qualifies prospects and venues.
This is a suprise on a couple of levels. For one, this is a complete about face after the announcement that the NEHL would be a 'floating league'. On another level, it bugs me to see that there is a GM in place but no owner. I've heard Mark Cerini's name mentioned in these leagues before but I can't remember where.

It isn't hard to obtain an arena lease but I still have VERY serious questions about Jim's finances going into this. He has tried many times and it hasn't worked doing it the same way over and over again thus far so why do it the same way again? If he doesn't have people with money involved this time, this thing will be DOA but if he does, it's time to announce them and bring some much needed credibility to his latest venture.

whoopee23
Site Admin

Post by whoopee23 » Wed May 17, 2006 2:31 pm

What the heck! I hope this works, but I want to see real people behind these things. Are there even any websites for these teams? I hope this doesnt fail like the IIHL, IHA, NLPH, Federal League and the countless others we have seen.

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Thu May 18, 2006 12:10 am

No, none of the teams have their own websites. Nor did they have sites last year. The NEHL of 2003-04 did have individual sites but then again, that was the closest Cashman has come to pulling off a real league or season.

My biggest issue with the website last year was the lack of real stats of any kind. What Jim told me was that the site didn't have statkeeping or spreadsheet capability. The first red flag for a league that isn't properly financed is either a freeweb account like Tripod or Geocities. The other is the inability to keep stats. Let's face it, players are in the league to build stats to sell bigger organizations on signing them. Without any official numbers of any kind, it is a wasted season for them.

If Cashman wants to win any believers he needs to upgrade the website or change webhosts.

In terms of non cyberspace stuff, he needs to show the world that he or the people with him have the MONEY, MOOLAH, DINEROS, YEN, CHEDDAR, and CHIZZLE to make this work. Names need to be named. Every league attempt that has made 100% of the partners silent and unknown has failed quickly.

Jim Cashman has no excuses in terms of how much time he has for next season. Arenas "dragging their feet" just won't wash this time as it barely washed last time. If you don't have the money up front, don't bother trying because we have seen the result many times before.

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:31 pm

The NEHL/CPHL/NEHL2 has added a photo gallery to the site and it is all pics of the 2003-04 NEHL:

http://www.aleaguehockey.com/view.php?pid=75071

For a league that was this woefully disorganized, they were well outfitted in terms of quality uniforms. Even the WHA2/SEHL didn't have uniforms this professional.

whoopee23
Site Admin

Post by whoopee23 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:27 pm

Well, it does look atleast semi decent. Like I said I hope this concept works and they pull it off. Nice to see official stats and awards too.

Return to “Minor League Hockey”