CPHL Changing Names

whoopee23
Site Admin

CPHL Changing Names

Post by whoopee23 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:46 pm

The CPHL according to their website http://www.aleaguehockey.com is changing names back to the NEHL. I dont think this makes a difference but who knows? I know they are planning to travel from city to city, is this an exhibition tour or a real league? Who is going to pay these players enough to travel like that?

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:55 am

whoopee23 wrote:The CPHL according to their website http://www.aleaguehockey.com is changing names back to the NEHL. I dont think this makes a difference but who knows? I know they are planning to travel from city to city, is this an exhibition tour or a real league? Who is going to pay these players enough to travel like that?
Here's what the frontpage of the site says now:
LEAGUE CHANGING NAME

3/29/06 - The Continental Professional Hockey League is changing the league name back to North Eastern Hockey League. We strongly feel that it is a better name for the league and we plan on staying focused on making minor league hockey a success in the Northeastern US and Canada.

NEHL ORGANIZING FOR 2006-07 SEASON

2/22/06 - The NEHL is organizing for the 2006-07 season. The season will start at the beginning of November and finish at the end of March. The NEHL will be run differently than normal league setups. We will be looking to play games in approximately 20 different cities this season in the northeastern US and Ontario. The NEHL will be looking to have free agent camps in August and September. Interested players can contact the league office for information. Information will be added to the website as it becomes available.
I have no idea what to make of this to be honest. I would like to see one franchise that has ever worked as a barnstorming team. (ABA "regional" teams and the New Orleans Hornets and Saints don't count.) None of Jim's other floating teams have worked out so why would a whole league of them work now?

Here's why I think the CPHL died after a month and a half last year:

1. Jim owning all but one of the teams. He simply didn't have the money to do this no matter how low the budgets were.

2. No working visas for players: If a player can't cross the boarder, they can't play can they? Especially in a league that plays games in Ontario as well as the US.

3. $3000/week salary cap: This league called itself 'A-Puck' from the get go but offered a salary cap about HALF of what the SPHL, (also A-Puck,) had. Why would a player of any quality wish to play somewhere where he would have to take a serious paycut with far inferior quality of hockey. Moreover, if you want to sell tickets with goonery, what name goon would want to play for such a low salary when the LNAH and CEHL pay better?

4. Preception of low quality hockey: With the low salary cap, it was impossible for Jim to compete with the LNAH, SPHL, CEHL and Tier II Quebec and Ontario senior hockey for players. This would be fine in places like the South because they don't have other levels of hockey to properly compare it to but Ontario/Quebec is junior and senior country. Even on the St. Catharine's message boards, they declared this league inferior to senior hockey in the area. If you can't provide better players than what the senior leagues are giving for less money, you are DOA.

5. Horrible Budgeting: Jim went in hoping to draw well enough to keep the bills paid. THE SINGLE BIGGEST NONO IN ALL OF MINOR LEAGUE SPORTS!!! You have to go in assuming that you won't draw right away and be prepared for the worst. I don't know about what happened in Pittsburgh, (the one team Jim didn't own outright,) but the other teams were completely unfinanced and in turn fell apart fast.

The league died a fast death and it's fallout probably wasn't all that pretty but I don't think Jim stole from anyone. This is probably the one nice thing I can say. However, I am still unconvinced that Jim has the money to make this fly. He didn't have the money with the GCHL, the original NEHL, the IHA and the CPHL. He had absolutely nobody to blame but himself this time around as Joe Kolodziej was in jail and Killbreath was and is still in hiding so who's left to screw him over? Nobody.

I sincerely hope Cashman can one day pull this off but frankly, I don't realistically forsee it unless somehow, someway he comes up with people with real money to finance it.
And that is all the people need to know!

mitchg73
Site Admin

Post by mitchg73 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:09 pm

i find this amusing.....this guy tries and fails ,tries and fails,it hurts the players involved .....

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:44 pm

mitchg73 wrote:i find this amusing.....this guy tries and fails ,tries and fails,it hurts the players involved .....
Like you care. At least you aren't saying he "took the money and ran again" without a shred of proof like you did on 4hockeyfans.com.

I don't fault a man for trying. He lost every bit as much as the players did if not more so, hense my not lumping him in there with Waronker, Killbreath and Kolodziej. If he DOES come back, be better financed this time.

mitchg73
Site Admin

Post by mitchg73 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:25 am

BCRantzilla wrote:Like you care. At least you aren't saying he "took the money and ran again" without a shred of proof like you did on 4hockeyfans.com.

I don't fault a man for trying. He lost every bit as much as the players did if not more so, hense my not lumping him in there with Waronker, Killbreath and Kolodziej. If he DOES come back, be better financed this time.
i dont fault the man for trying..but i do fault him by hurting these players dreams by them not getting payed etc etc ..oh yeah the SPHL sure is doing well geting stronger and stronger too...it seems all teams wil be back with the addition of richmond and maybe 1 other

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:17 am

Yet you still cannot come up with a complete, coherant sentince...

mitchg73
Site Admin

Post by mitchg73 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:40 am

spell sentence right and maybe ill complete one eh and then we can talk ok..all your false spewd bull about waronker owning the sphl was false....why not admit it now ....the sphl is flourishing like i said 4-5 months ago .....lol just take a look at the classy gphl gchl nehl iha etc etc doesnt this always spell doom so why bother..i seriously doubt that any player will take this league seriuosly ..all they have to do a google search...they all spell DOOM
Last edited by mitchg73 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:59 pm

Take the sniping elsewhere. This isn't a grammar board. Address the subject at hand and leave out the personal stuff.

mitchg73
Site Admin

Post by mitchg73 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:24 pm

sorry i apoligize to BC but he took the first jab....

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:55 pm

So what do you have to add about the CPHL/NEHL there mitch?

Everyone's waiting...

Return to “Minor League Hockey”