Federal Hockey League

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Federal Hockey League

Post by Minor League Man » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:43 pm

http://www.thefederalhockeyleague.com/

Personally, I'll only find it legit if they add the Charlestown Chiefs and the Syracuse Bulldogs...

However, with this release

http://www.thefederalhockeyleague.com/n ... t=1&lang=1

There will be teams in:
Danbury, Connecticut (former home of the UHL Trashers, NEHL Stars, and EPHL Mad Hatters)
Rome, New York (former home of the NEHL & EPHL Copper City Chiefs)
Ottawa, Ontario (yes-that Ottawa-good luck surviving with the Sens and 67s in town)
Thousand Islands, New York (mmm, Thousand Island)

As usual, time will tell whether or not they're legit...
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:18 am

[quote=""Minor League Man""]
Thousand Islands, New York (mmm, Thousand Island)[/quote]

The could be the fighting Dressings (Your mascot would be in a Kraft bottle, skating around between periods).

ottawasportsfan2010
Site Admin

Post by ottawasportsfan2010 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:20 pm

[quote=""Minor League Man""]http://www.thefederalhockeyleague.com/

Personally, I'll only find it legit if they add the Charlestown Chiefs and the Syracuse Bulldogs...

However, with this release

http://www.thefederalhockeyleague.com/n ... t=1&lang=1

There will be teams in:
Danbury, Connecticut (former home of the UHL Trashers, NEHL Stars, and EPHL Mad Hatters)
Rome, New York (former home of the NEHL & EPHL Copper City Chiefs)
Ottawa, Ontario (yes-that Ottawa-good luck surviving with the Sens and 67s in town)
Thousand Islands, New York (mmm, Thousand Island)

As usual, time will tell whether or not they're legit...[/quote]

I think the ottawa team could do ok attendance wise.There really not compeiting with the sens or 67s or olympics but with the central jr a hockey league still they should do ok.What some people don't know is ottawa has out side of the nhl and chl has 5 jr a hockey team 6 jr b hockey teams 4 jr c hockey teams and 2 university teams.

oldfatguy
Site Admin

Post by oldfatguy » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:52 pm

I always thought it funny that people think that just because someone fails at a venture, that they should automatically be banned from trying it again. I see this all over these boards - someone is trying to do what they love, own and operate a sports team or league, and they get slammed for not being Bill Gates or for having failed at something at some point in their lives. I know I've failed miserably at many, many things. I guess I should just give up trying?

Now if in fact some of these people performed criminal acts with earlier hockey ventures, then of course they should be looked at a lot more closely. But it sure doesn't look that way in this case (the curfew thing is odd but doesn't look business or hockey related), so maybe just the fact they are trying could be looked at a little less skeptically?

But if they tried to make hockey work and failed in other attempts... well, get in line with people like Wayne Gretzky and many, many others. I don't see anyone slamming Wayne for his total lack of effort in trying to make the Phoenix Coyotes viable.

I don't know any of these people or anything beyond what I've just read, but I do give them credit for trying something new, especially in these times. Just because they don't have billions of dollars to start, and not everything is in place in time to make message board posters happy doesn't mean it can't be done.
Last edited by oldfatguy on Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BCRantzilla
Site Admin

Post by BCRantzilla » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Minor pro hockey has NEVER worked in Ontario and never will. The only non NHL hockey that thrives is junior and senior hockey. Anything else is considered low quality and hockey fans out there just don't waste their money on it. (See the Marlies inability to draw fans for a reference.)
And that is all the people need to know!

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:58 pm

But if they tried to make hockey work and failed in other attempts... well, get in line with people like Wayne Gretzky and many, many others. I don't see anyone slamming Wayne for his total lack of effort in trying to make the Phoenix Coyotes viable.

Uhhh.......NOBODY is criticizing Gretzky?! They weren't doing that bad until they moved to an arena nowhere close to downtown Phoenix. Gretzky owns that as much as anyone.

Problem is you're comparing major league and minor league. Minor league owners and "commissioners" are infamous for not paying bills and burning bridges in the towns they're in (or bringing in people who do), then springing up with a brand new league and/or teams elsewhere (Haines and Newman come to mind).
Last edited by SignGuyDino on Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

oldfatguy
Site Admin

Post by oldfatguy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Absolutely no argument there in the case of Newman, having dealt with him personally. Don't know much about Haines besides what I read here.

And yeah, Gretzky is walking away pretty clean on the Coyotes fiasco, at least here in Phoenix. People who know what's going on know how he milked it for every cent, but on the whole you don't hear much about his major part in the failure of the franchise.

I guess my point is that it seems like it's very rare that someone gets a second chance on these boards - one failure and they are perceived as a crook or a deadbeat. Franchises fail for a number of reasons, the major one being lack of experienced leadership. People usually learn from their failures and deserve another chance.

Now some people (see above) have pretty much run out of chances, and anyone who falls for their line of crap is on their own when it all turns bad. Were I approached again to be a part of the ABA it would take me about four seconds to do enough research to find out the many reasons why that's a bad idea. If someone doesn't take that four seconds and writes a check to Joe... shame on them.

Anyway... Merry Christmas to all.

Return to “Minor League Hockey”