Usl-w League

mtedora
Site Admin

Usl-w League

Post by mtedora » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:41 am

is the USL-W not a pro league? it is a bit surprising that the league isn't covered here [because the USL-W webpages are very active]. 'coulda sworn my research last year yielded some information to the effect that it was/is professional... (???)
Mateo en Tejas, USA

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:11 am

[quote=""mtedora""]is the USL-W not a pro league? it is a bit surprising that the league isn't covered here [because the USL-W webpages are very active]. 'coulda sworn my research last year yielded some information to the effect that it was/is professional... (???)[/quote]

I think its semi-pro that way the NCAA players can play and not lose their eligibility.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:05 pm

[quote=""Shootmaster_44""]I think its semi-pro that way the NCAA players can play and not lose their eligibility.[/quote]

Not even semi-pro. Amateur. Otherwise, Shootmaster pegs the motive.

mtedora
Site Admin

this?

Post by mtedora » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:02 pm

now after finding this, at the USL website (it wasn't easy finding it) i'm still wondering then, how the devil do these women make a LIVING while playing for and travelling with these teams?
'USL W-LEAGUE
Exceptional competitive women’s soccer lives in the USL W-League, USL’s highest level of women’s soccer in the US and Canada. The 2007 campaign features a 35-team format in four conferences playing 12 or 14 regular season matches. The top women’s players throughout the world compete in the USL W-League through the summer months. In addition to the league featuring international and former professional stars, elite collegiate players have the opportunity to also compete in the league while maintaining their collegiate eligibility. The league is recognized throughout the world for providing elite competition for women’s players, while providing affordable family entertainment to many fans in each of the team locations...'
Mateo en Tejas, USA

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:37 am

[quote=""mtedora""]now after finding this, at the USL website (it wasn't easy finding it) i'm still wondering then, how the devil do these women make a LIVING while playing for and travelling with these teams?
'USL W-LEAGUE
Exceptional competitive women’s soccer lives in the USL W-League, USL’s highest level of women’s soccer in the US and Canada. The 2007 campaign features a 35-team format in four conferences playing 12 or 14 regular season matches. The top women’s players throughout the world compete in the USL W-League through the summer months. In addition to the league featuring international and former professional stars, elite collegiate players have the opportunity to also compete in the league while maintaining their collegiate eligibility. The league is recognized throughout the world for providing elite competition for women’s players, while providing affordable family entertainment to many fans in each of the team locations...'
[/quote]

They don't. The majority of them play in Pro Euro leagues, which run during the winter. I'm sure their living expenses are compensated for. They might also get a wink, wink job at the owner's company. Kinda like the old Soviet hockey players were paid for being soldiers, not hockey players wink wink.

Dan K
Site Admin

Post by Dan K » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:09 pm

The Women's Premier Soccer League has been growing significantly over the past two years and its seems they make the claim that it is the highest level of women's soccer in the U.S. I am not sure how the WPSL compares to the USL W-League on overall skill level. I thought some of the former WUSA players became part of WPSL teams when the WUSA disbanded.

Return to “Women's Soccer”