What are the chances...

mvhcpa
Site Admin

What are the chances...

Post by mvhcpa » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:49 pm

...the WUSA EVER comes back? I used to follow it when I lived in Atlanta and there was a team there. Is the "reorganization committee" (or whatever they called it) still meeting? Are they still hosting any "festivals" to draw interest? Or have the soccer powers-that-be decided that the USL-sponsored league is all that is needed in the US at this time?

Michael Val
(who "had the Beat" when living in the ATL)

sportsguy12
Site Admin

Nil

Post by sportsguy12 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:12 pm

[quote=""mvhcpa""]...the WUSA EVER comes back? I used to follow it when I lived in Atlanta and there was a team there. Is the "reorganization committee" (or whatever they called it) still meeting? Are they still hosting any "festivals" to draw interest? Or have the soccer powers-that-be decided that the USL-sponsored league is all that is needed in the US at this time?

Michael Val
(who "had the Beat" when living in the ATL)[/quote]

Well, they were supposed to be ready for this summer (2007). That doesn't look likely. I would say that the W-League is all that remains. WUSA aka RIP.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:42 am

I'm curious about W-League. Is that league professional, in that all players are paid or is it just a top amateur league? Are games well attended? Do the majority of Canada and USA's national teams play in the league? What about other major soccer power's players? Compared to the men's leagues where does it rank? What I mean is if this league were a men's league would the on-field talent be akin to MLS, USL 1st Division or lower? How about off-field is it well promoted? Are any games on tv? Sorry for the tons of questions just curious about it.

jwalters
Site Admin

Post by jwalters » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:53 pm

You can find the w-league attendance figures at http://www.kenn.com in the sports attenadance data base. Every year fox soccer broadcast the playoff and championship games. The teams are amateur and some teams require players to pay a fee to play. Some players do make money from the soccer camps that the franchises hold but that does not make them professionals. A few national team players from the U.S. and Canada play on the teams but I am not sure if they are the core players or not. I would compare it more to USL 2 than anything. The players are all good ex-college players. Many of them would play in WUSA and many would not. For the prices they charge $5 to $10 on average it is a good product compared to the outlandish prices some MLS and USL 1 teams charge.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:42 pm

You'll note the new "WSI" forum, though I believe the league name is subject to change.

http://wsii.typepad.com/

That's the announcement of the new or reborn league. There's rumors that some vestiges of WUSA will be revived, perhaps more, perhaps the name... all unknown for now.

Return to “Women's Soccer”