Yes, New League. This time...

Pounder
Site Admin

Yes, New League. This time...

Post by Pounder » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:15 am

http://espn.go.com/espnw/8659715/new-us ... e-launched

The USSF kind of took lead with the new league, and even brought on Canada and Mexico for help.

USSF will fund the front office... and pay 24 players from the national team pool. Soccer Canada will pay 16 Canadian players. FMF will pay 12 Mexican players. So, less risk to owners (and possibly insurance against a Dan Borislow invasion).

Boston
Chicago
Kansas City
New Jersey
Portland
Seattle
Washington
Western New York (Rochester, of course)

Sounds like the eastern teams will use smaller stadia. KC might play in Livestrong. I've heard that Portland (owned by the Timbers, will be named differently because of adidas v Nike) may play some games at Jeld-Wen and some at a smaller venue (Hillsboro Stadium or UP's Merlo Field). I've seen a wee bit of speculation that the Seattle team will share Starfire Complex with Seattle Sounders Women (which means, yes, the Sounders tried to get the team and did not, possibly also adidas v Nike), who packed 4,500 per game for W-League last year.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:13 pm

What I know for now: Portland has sold about 6,000 season tickets for the Thorns. I believe that's more than most stadium capacities in this league. All games will be at JELD-WEN.

Anyone else have such a report elsewhere? I know Seattle Reign have had poor luck with allocated players and injuries/pregnancy/playing in Europe until June, though it's hard for me to imagine that they won't pack Starfire. Having Abby Wambach in Rochester might fill Sahlen for once.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Jntg4
Site Admin

Post by Jntg4 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:42 pm

Great year for the league, eh? And now the Dynamo/Dash involved is a plus.

Return to “Women's Soccer”