Scoring system in MASL

Fran
Site Admin

Scoring system in MASL

Post by Fran » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:29 pm

It's disappointing the PASL got their way and did not change the scoring for 2 pts and 3 points for goals the MISL had.

That's why Rochester decided not to come back and that does hurt Syracuse.

I thought higher scoring games would attract more fans to come to the games, I guess the MASL thinks otherwise.

What scoring would indoor soccer fans here prefer, 1 pt or the 2 and three point goals the MISL had.

Captain_Couth
Site Admin

Scoring system in MASL

Post by Captain_Couth » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:49 pm

I'm used to the 1pt per goal system. It's crazy that a team would drop out of the league over the point scoring. How did the 2 and 3 point system work anyways?

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:22 pm

[quote=""Fran""]It's disappointing the PASL got their way and did not change the scoring for 2 pts and 3 points for goals the MISL had.

That's why Rochester decided not to come back and that does hurt Syracuse.

I thought higher scoring games would attract more fans to come to the games, I guess the MASL thinks otherwise.

What scoring would indoor soccer fans here prefer, 1 pt or the 2 and three point goals the MISL had.[/quote]

Attaching more points to a goal doesn't make it higher scoring, it just makes the numbers look better. It's also an insult to the intelligence of soccer fans (of course, very few of us are indoor fans).

Soccer Sam is a character. He made the decision. I could say it's an uninformed one, but since he also still has some interest in the Rhinos, I'll let my mind wander off with that one, and yours as well if you so choose.

I don't even remember the stupid scoring system, but IIRC it's like basketball. A PK is 1, a regular shot is 2, and there's a 3-point line. Correct?
Last edited by Pounder on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Joey Tee
Site Admin

Post by Joey Tee » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:32 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Attaching more points to a goal doesn't make it higher scoring, it just makes the numbers look better. It's also an insult to the intelligence of soccer fans (of course, very few of us are indoor fans).

Soccer Sam is a character. He made the decision. I could say it's an uninformed one, but since he also still has some interest in the Rhinos, I'll let my mind wander off with that one, and yours as well if you so choose.

I don't even remember the stupid scoring system, but IIRC it's like basketball. A PK is 1, a regular shot is 2, and there's a 3-point line. Correct?[/quote]

The MISL used 2pt for everything, except the 3 behind the arc. You are thinking of the original multi point scoring used in the NPSL, where there was 1pt scores on penalty kicks and power plays.

Captain_Couth
Site Admin

Post by Captain_Couth » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:16 am

Thanks for the info.

Fez
Site Admin

Indoor Scoring

Post by Fez » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:08 pm

I've been a fan since the 80s and I remember huge (15k plus) crowds at Cleveland Force games....

Anyway, I prefer traditional 1 pt a goal scoring, but some of the "Americanized" scoring systems didn't bother me. 2pts for a goal, 3pts for a goal from outside the "3 pt line" etc. It made power plays interesting. Either way is fine as long as we have a team and a stable league.
Subscribe to Dayton Pro Sports Daily News: http://paper.li/f-1313642591

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:30 pm

I don't think it matters one way or another what the scoring system is. In the one-point system in a close game, teams won't keep trying to pass back behind the arc. They will still try to play straight up (or at least with just a sixth attacker).

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:03 pm

[quote=""Fran""]I thought higher scoring games would attract more fans to come to the games, I guess the MASL thinks otherwise.[/quote]

It doesn't.

Whether a game is 22-14 under multi-point or 11-7 under single-point, the ball still goes in the net 18 times.

Telling someone, "Hey, there's an indoor soccer game, you want to go?" and whether you tell them the scores are "Like 22-14" or "like 11-7" has no bearing on whether or not they want to go.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:09 pm

This is what the Rochester owner said. Hopefully they can find another owner and play this season, Rochester does a good job supporting all of its teams.

http://www.syracuse.com/silver-knights/ ... ncers.html

Among other things, Fantauzzo was apparently upset about the MASL's potential scoring system. Fantauzzo and Tanner favor goals that are worth two and three points each, arguing that the scoring creates more excitement and opportunities for rallies. That system has been used for many years in the MISL.

Milliken would not identify the bidder but said it's 50-50 that the deal goes through within the next few days, allowing the Lancers to operate this season and maintaining an important geographic partner for Syracuse.

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Yeah, I'd prefer the 2-point goal system per goal. Also, I hope Rochester is able to secure things together before the start of the season...
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

Return to “Indoor Soccer”