Akron Ohio?

spin
Site Admin

Akron Ohio?

Post by spin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:01 pm

There is an issue on the November ballot for a new arena to be built in downtown Akron, across the street from the Akron Rubberducks' Canal Park. There is a lot of campaigning between those who want the arena and those who don't.

So I thought I would try to get an idea of how much interest there is in winter minor league sports in and around Summit County.

I'm looking at the popularity of the Canton Invaders (20 miles south) and the Cleveland Force (in northern Summit Co) as two of the very few successful indoor soccer franchises of that time. And at the popularity of the University of Akron Zips at the gate.

Who would be interested in attending indoor soccer games in Akron?

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:03 am

Ohio Vortex & Cleveland Freeze both did a terrible job of marketing in the area recently. Media showed absolutely no interest in them. Unless they really, really, really try to market to the College crowd (who have Zips, Browns, and a LeBron charged Cavalier team to cheer on). I'd say it would never be feasible.

No owner in his right mind would tread that water. I'm thinking of the former Force/Crunch Wolstein & Hoffman caliber. Let alone enough people warrant the interest to bring a potential owner forward.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

Return to “Indoor Soccer”