Wave should be terminated from the league

tugboat
Site Admin

Wave should be terminated from the league

Post by tugboat » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:19 pm

The Wave should be terminated from the league. How bad does it look to have the top notch team in the league draw under 3,000 people a game. That market is tapped and is making the league look bad.

Dump or move the Wave. Unles the owner enjoys it, and really does not care about how much money the team looses and how bad it makes the rest of the league look.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:37 pm

Heck, Chicago is officially averaging half that, and probably aren't selling more than a third of that half.

Any one team shuts down, and it's hard not to shut down the rest right away. Is that what you want?

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:26 pm

I'm with Pounder. At least the Milwaukee owner is sticking with the league. Even mainstays Cleveland and Kansas City had to call it quits this season, and let's face it, indoor soccer is struggling right now. The MISL needs all the committed ownership it can get. Tugboat, I assume you're a Steamers fan?

SuperSonicStuart
Site Admin

Post by SuperSonicStuart » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:41 am

Yeah, ownership has been a problem. Here's another thing that is troubling, whenever an MISL team gets put up for sale, the team is not being offered the owner who is selling the team is just letting the team fade away instead of offering what they are selling. Plus I think these MISL teams need owners that also own NBA and or NHL teams. Just like the ownership that the MISL New Jersey expansion team has. The MISL New Jersey expansion team is owned by the owners of the NHL New Jersey Devils.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:59 pm

SuperSonicStuart wrote:Yeah, ownership has been a problem. Here's another thing that is troubling, whenever an MISL team gets put up for sale, the team is not being offered the owner who is selling the team is just letting the team fade away instead of offering what they are selling. Plus I think these MISL teams need owners that also own NBA and or NHL teams. Just like the ownership that the MISL New Jersey expansion team has. The MISL New Jersey expansion team is owned by the owners of the NHL New Jersey Devils.
Believe me when I say that MISL would take just about any owner they can get... just so long as the new owner doesn't drive down the franchise value. OF COURSE Steve Ryan would love NBA and NHL owners to get involved.

The plain truth is that they don't want to buy in. They don't see any money in it.

The best course for the MISL is to retrench into one geographic region, lower the rent (translation: get into smaller arenas)... and then consider the concept of their own development system for young players. The money is definitely outdoors now.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:22 am

Tugboat, I don't insult your team, why do you insult mine? I'm from the Milwaukee area, and I love the Wave, so let them stay. The Steamers should stay too. Add more indoor soccer leagues.
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

vl2alejo
Site Admin

Steamers Roster

Post by vl2alejo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:34 pm

Hello Everyone :)

Does anyone know the entire Steamers Roster? Do they have a reserve team? Is the Steamers' official website fully updated?

bradlehman
Site Admin

Post by bradlehman » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:17 am

Minor League Man
Minor League Man
Does whatever a user can
Spins a thread, any size
Catches news, just like flies
Look out
Here comes the Minor League Man

Nice They Might Be Giants paraphrase

I agree, go Wave!

CRUSADERSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CRUSADERSFAN » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:26 am

I agree, the league needs whatever teams it can get. I'm just starting to follow the league, so yeah. The league lost two and couldn't get Dallas back. I don't think retreating is the answer though. More aggressive marketing though would help.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:54 pm

Lesson: Portland Winter Hawks, junior hockey team, meaning no real salaries ($500 per month "meal money" per player, however), averages more fans per game than the Baltimore Blast... cannot afford a substantive TV marketing blitz. Portland is such a large market that trying to hit the airwaves probably won't be worth the cost involved. I believe the Baltimore metropolis is bigger than Portland.

To me, "more aggressive marketing" = "burning through your 3-year-plan money sooner, not later". "Smarter marketing" would be a start. I just don't think that's enough to prevent a retreat.

Return to “Indoor Soccer”