Up For A Chuckle This Morning?

Pounder
Site Admin

Up For A Chuckle This Morning?

Post by Pounder » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:49 pm

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/unit ... ll-leagues

This is very much the language of a group of zealots that have hounded journalists with an almost GamerGate-like zeal. No misogyny, thankfully.

But I got a chuckle when they promised profitability in year two.

Open for discussion, despite my better judgement.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:16 pm

I hate to tell them, but the wind is blowing in another direction. Even the Premier League has discussed (at the behest of its US and foreign owners) the end of the promotion and relegation system.

Very few true clubs are left that are member owned and have teams from the pro level to the youth level. Now we have franchises that have owners and stock holders. The member/subscriber is now just a season ticket holder with no say in how a club is run.

An owner is purchasing a franchise like any other commodity. The owner acts to make sure that commodity increases in value. Since even the threat of relegation reduces the value of the commodity, the owner must try and resist that.

Hence, no promotion or relegation from American leagues.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Let's face one thing though... ending pro/rel in most countries that have it would cause riots and boycotts. Most likely the latter. Perhaps even in places like Barcelona and Madrid.

Funny thing here... the ringleader of the pro/rel-to-America bandwagon (it has a handful of wagons, anyway) ends up poo-poohing this effort and blaming the journalists he regularly targets because he thinks they're trying to make the "movement" look bad. (That's why we call him Tinfoil Ted.) His goal has been to force the US Soccer Federation to MANDATE pro/rel, saying that it's the responsibility of FAs to make this happen. I'm not sure that this is how things evolved in England to get to where they are now, but so be it.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Return to “Outdoor Soccer”