How To Get To...

Royal
Site Admin

How To Get To...

Post by Royal » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:22 am

Hello, I play Soccer in Abbotsford BC. I think that I am a pretty good player, but I dont know what other people think about me. I was wondering what routes are there to take to get to the minors or even pro. I dont really know how to get to were I want to be.

Any suggestions or hints would be very much apperciated.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:39 am

[quote=""Royal""]Hello, I play Soccer in Abbotsford BC. I think that I am a pretty good player, but I dont know what other people think about me. I was wondering what routes are there to take to get to the minors or even pro. I dont really know how to get to were I want to be.

Any suggestions or hints would be very much apperciated.[/quote]

I would think the first route would be to play in the Pacific Coast Soccer League. I believe that league is scouted heavily by the USL teams and probably MLS teams. If you're not good enough for that league, I doubt you'd probably be good enough to play in any of the minor leagues or MLS.

Another option, which might help is to play CIS soccer with one of the Universities around the GVRD. UBC, and Trinity Western both play in Canada West and would be a good stepping stone towards making a professional career.

It also depends on how old you are. If you are in High School or lower, you may want to send out video highlights of yourself to the Whitecaps, Toronto FC and possible the Montreal Impact. All three run residency programs and I'd think playing for these teams are a way into the pros. Another idea is to send these tapes to Super-Y League teams around your area. These teams give you exposure to NCAA scouts, which in turn could lead to a scholarship.

But I'd also refer you to the forum at http://www.canadian-soccer.com there are lots of people connected to the Canadian soccer scene there that might be able to recommend where to go.

However, if you are an adult that isn't playing PCSL/CIS soccer at this point. I'd hate to say that probably at best you might be able to play indoor in the CMISL, but beyond that your dreams of any sort of "pro" are over.

Return to “Outdoor Soccer”