NPF

CMc
Site Admin

NPF

Post by CMc » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:40 pm

What happened to the Colorado and San Antonio teams? The league is now just 6 teams strong for the 2004 season.

Will the two teams play in 2005?

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:02 pm

Just out of curiosity, does anyone actually follow the NPF? I'm not being sarcastic or anything just curious. Is the level of play better than NCAA fastball? Really, the only high caliber fastball for women I've ever seen is the NCAA Div. 1 Championship and some Olympic action. I would assume the NPF isn't in nearly as good as watching the Olympics, but I would assume it is watchable am I right? Sadly, with the death of WTSN here in Canada, the only "pro" women's team sports I ever see is the WNBA, NWHL and double's tennis (if you even want to count that) and the odd golf tournament that has a team concept to it. Its too bad really that WTSN was shunted to the fringes of digital cable, I enjoyed watching that channel as they tried hard not to make women's sports only about sex appeal.

oldschool
Site Admin

Post by oldschool » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:01 am

Since the league's season is about two weeks old, it's hard to tell how the
league is doing, but here are a few observations from someone who has
seen two games so far:
On the positive side, the players are a blend of college all conference,
all American, etc players. They were drafted by various league drafts.
There are a large group of players from the big colleges out west. Even the East Coast teams have mostly West Coast players. So, the teams are
not made of local players. That seems to have created a competive balance so far.

Also positive is that league has local team ownerships, unlike the previous
incarnations of this operation. Local owners should have a better understanding of their markets.

There is also a "developmental relationship" with MLB. The NPF teams will
hold clinics at various MLB parks, and some events will happen at NPF
locations.

Now for some drawbacks: My local league team (NY/NJ) has ticket prices that range from $8 (outfield bleachers) to $18 for seat behind home plate.
Parking is $5. These prices may be a little too steep to attract the casual
fan. They share a college campus where the Northeast League team charges $9 and $7 for seats (including a parking fee attached to each ticket).

Local ownership has its drawbacks. The owner of NY/NJ fired the manager within the first week, naming himself "interim manager". This is not a good
sign.

As for San Antonio and Denver, the league media guide doesn't mention
them. However, the league is headquartered in Denver, so a team there
seems possible. And Houston could use a local rival, so San Antonio may
surface yet.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:11 pm

I suspect the higher ticket prices are partially due to travel costs. I'll put it in male-speak; "bus cheap, plane not."

More importantly, the same small core fan group who would pay $9 is the group who will pay $18... and they probably have a study saying that they could charge $3 and still not get the casual fan. Time is often just as important as money, and so is desire.

For softball, I'm thoroughly convinced that it's up to you to spread the word to get fans. I wouldn't have near the guts to start up such a venture, especially nationwide.

oldschool
Site Admin

Post by oldschool » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:39 pm

The basic premise that this league is making is that there are millions of
people who play softball at some level, and that even if a fraction of them
are interested in seeing the elite players play at the national level, the league can survive. However, this is the same premise that doomed the
WUSA. Just because millions play, many may not want to watch.

This league has a chance to make it if it promotes itself from from ground
level up. NY/NJ is doing that. They've had clinics starting back in the spring
that got good press coverage. They've got billboards up all over the area.
Local ownership can work the local market. The working relationship with
MLB will also create exposure. The older versions of this league had all teams controlled by the league. Again, as the WUSA proved, this type of structure may not provide the best competition.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:50 am

I for one hope it succeeds. Its a shame that women's sports aside from the (heavily subsidized by the NBA) WNBA cannot become more of a niche sport in North America. At least the NPF has a relationship with MLB which at some level will give it a better legitimacy than any of the women's hockey leagues or football leagues out there today. I hope one day that we will see more pro women's leagues spring up and last. The WNBA, WUSA and NPF are a step in the right direction and more are needed.

SHIFTY1
Site Admin

Post by SHIFTY1 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:05 pm

You'll be hearing more information soon on the NPF. CHICAGO is entering the league with a new stadium and high profile roster. Television for all home games and several on ESPN2. 2005 will be the breakout year for the league

SHIFTY1
Site Admin

Post by SHIFTY1 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:15 pm

The CHICAGO BANDITS web site is up. wwwchicagobandits.com. Stay tuned for updated information and fans may now contact the team

toad8098
Site Admin

Post by toad8098 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:08 pm

Along with the Chicago Bandits, the league is also adding the Omaha Comets. Oklahoma City is on the back burner in case Sacramento doesn't return.. If the Sunbirds do return, expect OKC to join in 2006. Other cities that are up for expansion are: Portland(Or.), Cincinnati, Tampa Bay, Buffalo & St. Louis.

Return to “Other Women's”