Major League Rugby to start with 9 teams

Dan K
Site Admin

Major League Rugby to start with 9 teams

Post by Dan K » Sun May 07, 2017 1:33 pm

As a possible replacement for the dormant PRO Rugby league that played one season last year before shutting down, the new MLR is looking to start play in 2018 with nine teams.

http://www.rugbytoday.com/clubs/major-l ... ch-9-teams

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:24 am

They were supposed to have nine teams, now they've got six on their website.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Dan K
Site Admin

Post by Dan K » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:14 pm

The MLR signed a contract with CBS Sports Network for its inaugural season that will start in April 2018 with seven teams.

http://www.usmlr.com

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:04 pm

This is risky from the standpoint of what if.
Appears they have found themselves in the right place at the right time (Luck and preparation) they get the break and are prepared to capitalize from it.

But the big what if in this space is simply that they should have attempted to develop a community first as a marker, what they have done is commendable but what if no one watches :o ops: the numbers will be low but how low is to much for CBS to see any benefit, recall that the numbers have shifted as to what is considered a hit now in television thanks to Net-Flicks a million viewers is a hit show, but here they don't already have established stars that a general public would be able to latch onto. Developing them week to week while building the league is going to be a tough sell.

And they won't get a second shot, they left out the details within the deal (did the league get a contract or a buy time deal agreement) "Partnering" could mean a few things.
Way to early to celebrate but good luck!

Article note and league site info:quotations
“Partnering with CBS Sports Network is a great step for Major League Rugby and for the sport of rugby in America,” said Major League Rugby Commissioner, Dean Howes. “There is no question that rugby is growing fast in the U.S. market. A successful professional league is a critical component of that growth. Television partnerships are incredibly important to any professional league, and we are excited to chart a path to success together with CBS Sports Network.”

MLR is a professional rugby league that will launch in April of 2018. It’s an initiative of the American rugby community, in partnership with private investors, who believe that American rugby can thrive at the highest levels: as a commercial enterprise; as an influential player on the international scene; and as a participation sport at the youth and senior level. MLR will be the pinnacle of American rugby, and provide a rallying point for local communities, a focal point for American rugby fans, and an aspirational destination for young athletes.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:40 am

[quote=""suge night""]“There is no question that rugby is growing fast in the U.S. market."[/quote]

There actually IS a question about that.

Because I would love to see the numbers that support the idea of a professional league in America.

At BEST, it's Major League Lacrosse.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:24 pm

I agree Sam, the commissioner of the proposed league made that statement as if there already is a complete and strong infrastructure in place.

I've seen no numbers indicating such a booming market, now he is selling snake oil of course which is why I posed the question about the TV deal I don't think it is a contract whereas the network has any skin in the game, the airtime more than likely is a pay for airtime deal by the league, but the commissioner got excited and started shouting out look over here I'm the best commissioner in the world I got us on TV,even though it may be costly and will offer us no profit. (Rookies) :rolleyes:

Major League Lacrosse made it official Thursday. The team is now the Dallas Rattlers and will play in Frisco, Texas, near Dallas/Forth Worth, where the MLL held its championship game in August as a way to test the market. The Ohio Machine beat the Denver Outlaws, 17-12, in front of 7,543 fans.

I respect that number 0f 7,543 for a one off event.
Last edited by suge night on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Other Sports”