Pro Rugby USA 2016

Evad
Site Admin

Pro Rugby USA 2016

Post by Evad » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:00 pm

I've been on these boards for a long time and I've seen leagues come and go. I enjoy supporting the "Underdogs" and teams trying to make it. Well Pro Rugby is the newest league for a very old sport and I'm hooked. I saw the game between San Diego and Sacramento, which SD won, and loved it. AOL sports is covering the games and their web site and other social media is pretty good. I'll post links to articles and other stuff and see how the conversations go.

So "Scrum Down" and lets talk some Rugby. :-)

http://www.prorugby.org/

https://www.facebook.com/prorugby/

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/26/sport ... .html?_r=0

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:00 am

I saw the post about the AOL coverage.

Are they playing Sevens or Eleven?

Dave

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Unfortunately, the league seems to have concentrated all its energy on social media, which I believe is a mistake. Local news coverage seems to be scant. You can't expect reporters to comb Facebook and Twitter looking for your stuff. They have enough to do. You need to get your stories in front of them.

Evad
Site Admin

Post by Evad » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:43 pm

[quote=""dmbishop""]I saw the post about the AOL coverage.

Are they playing Sevens or Eleven?

Dave[/quote]

Their playing 15's and it's legit. Lots of fun to watch. And in regards to coverage the media here in San Diego has picked up on it and I think two stations are including it in their sports coverage. So it'll take time but the excitement is there from the fans. I think SD had 2500 to 3000 at their home opener.

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Sorry, I got my English sports mixed up... :o ops:

Interesting that they went with 15s. Isn't Sevens the Olympic variation?

Dave

Joe In Birmingham
Site Admin

Post by Joe In Birmingham » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:18 am

Yes, the Olympic variation is Sevens. PRO Rugby is the union version or code of the game with 15 a side. Another entity is trying to launch here in the US. I believe the name of it is the National Rugby Football League. I am not sure if it will get any further along or not. Despite the name, I think it is the union version, too. The other code or version of rugby is league. There are 13 players a side in league. Other rule differences too.

Paul is 100% correct. PRO Rugby is concentrating almost all of their energy on social media. Like him, I think it is a mistake. In a start up, it needs to be easy for the media to get information and cover it.

I wish both organizations well. I don't know much about the sport, but do find it interesting to watch.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:57 pm

[quote=""preeths""]Unfortunately, the league seems to have concentrated all its energy on social media, which I believe is a mistake. Local news coverage seems to be scant. You can't expect reporters to comb Facebook and Twitter looking for your stuff. They have enough to do. You need to get your stories in front of them.[/quote]

I was thinking back to when the Portland Thunder started up. The Oregonian basically said that they'd cover the team if an audience forms for it. None really have. Newspapers are conducting more triage than coverage right now. I wonder if Pro Rugby has a choice.

Then if you want to address, say, the ramifications of Sheldon Adelson buying the Las Vegas Review-Journal...
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:08 pm

[quote=""dmbishop""]Sorry, I got my English sports mixed up... :o ops:

Interesting that they went with 15s. Isn't Sevens the Olympic variation?

Dave[/quote]

Sevens isn't something that works in a league, especially given 7-10 minute halves. So that's much more conducive to an Olympic format, while the Rugby World Cup (which is Union) basically schedules each team close to once a week. A RWC stretches out two weeks longer than a soccer WC... and player health is at the forefront of this scheduling.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Evad
Site Admin

Post by Evad » Mon May 02, 2016 1:01 am

San Diego at home against Denver right now. Denver leads 10-6 at the half

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/04/27/s ... /21352056/

Ohio crushed San Fran 51-10

Joe In Birmingham
Site Admin

Post by Joe In Birmingham » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:53 am

Have not heard much from the organization since completion of the season. Read where they drew 3,400 for the game between Denver and Ohio on the last weekend of play. Read somewhere else where the league averaged 1,500 per game/match on the season.

Not sure as how I would describe the season. Success? Failure? In between? Perhaps one of you may have additional information and an opinion on how the season went.
Last edited by Joe In Birmingham on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Other Sports”