The Off Season Battles

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

The Off Season Battles

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:03 pm

Sometimes the off season can be more interesting than the games during the season and this off season promises fans lots of drama.

What happens in the SIFL and CIFL is what it is. No major shake ups unless some IFL teams jump to the SIFL. Other than that I see business pretty much as usual.

What happens with in the AIFA depends on whether M&M can find the glue needed to hold it all together or if they go about blindly setting up fly by night franchises ignoring that long time AIFA teams and some newer additions looking for better options.

The big moves this off season will be in the IFL and two big questions at hand. Will the commissioner keep his job and if he does, will there be a split? The thing is I'm not all that certain that Tommy B's job is in danger as commissioner as I've only heard this from one source and not sure that source is credible. In one on one talks with Benizio I don't get any sense that he feels his job is in jeopardy either.

But that aside the big moves are still in the IFL. Much here depends on the ego of owners and if they make decisions based on what is good for the future or what benefits them in the short term. All indications are the league will grow to over 30 teams, but will the additions make sense and will they be solid financially.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:17 pm

What does the CIFL have in the works? Appears they'll lose Cincinnati and most likely Fort Wayne, at a minimum.

jerry101jlh
Site Admin

Post by jerry101jlh » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Word I got was Cincinnati is staying put. Fort Wayne I think is gone and have heard nothing to the contrary.

The off season for the CIFL amounts to redoing a lot of their structure. All for the good, but unknown if the teams are going to go for it. May all be too late for them to grow, but who knows.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:05 pm

But isn't the problem with the CIFL a lack of resources, not necessarily their structure? Even if Miami Valley finds a home, there's a ton of work to be done. And for what? So that any successful franchises get scooped up by another league? I admire the CIFL's perseverance, but more groups ownership groups such as those in Chicago and Marion aren't doing the game any good. All they're doing is allowing the CIFL to survive, but really preventing it from ever thriving.

Freedom
Site Admin

Post by Freedom » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Firehawks are for sale. Of course nobody would actually buy a team for $200,000 . . .
So, unless someone wants to get the lease and team put together, Fort Wayne
may finally go "dark" for the first time. I'm not so sure which would be worse, going
dark or playing another year in the CIFL. This shoe-string budget football sucks.

jcompton
Site Admin

Post by jcompton » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:44 pm

[quote=""Freedom""]I'm not so sure which would be worse, going dark or playing another year in the CIFL. This shoe-string budget football sucks.[/quote]

Heh, ouch.

For my part, I'm content with the value-for-money proposition of the CIFL and equally happy to have AFL teams a reasonable drive away. If it was the only game in a 200-mile radius, that would be another story...

Return to “Indoor/Arena Football”