Discussion Time -- Worst Season Post NIFL?

Freedom
Site Admin

Post by Freedom » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:55 pm

[quote=""indoor fan""] . . . The only thing I give the APFL credit for is that they don't pretend to be a professional league. . . . [/quote]

And there is the reason Exit refers back to the APFL so often.
They don't pretend to be anything more than they are. Over
the years the indoor leagues have tripped over themselves
trying to be this or that of the indoor world, all too often
falling well short of their lofty claims. It's just poor business.

Freedom
Site Admin

Post by Freedom » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:02 pm

[quote=""jcompton""]So, one of the two CIFL semi-finals involves two teams with the same owner. One is a traveling team. The other is the league powerhouse. Even if the Silverbacks play their hearts out (and I hope they do--I've seen the team twice this season and am really impressed at how well they play given their difficult circumstances), this is not a confidence-boosting event.

On the scale of "worst things", where does this situation rank?[/quote]

I'd say fairly low to not even a bleep on the radar. There are four teams all with a shot
at the title. Miami Valley is the lowest seed of the four, so being a travel team works
considering they cannot host a playoff game anyway. Good for ownership who can put
together two decent teams in the same league/season. This is a "good" thing . . .

jcompton
Site Admin

Post by jcompton » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:16 pm

[quote=""Freedom""]so being a travel team works
considering they cannot host a playoff game anyway. Good for ownership who can put
together two decent teams in the same league/season. This is a "good" thing . . .[/quote]

Yeah, but if you're the owner, there are two possible scenarios.

Scenario 1: Silverbacks win and advance to play championship game on the road. You sell no tickets.
Scenario 2: Commandos win and host the league championship game. You get to sell a lot of Gardens tickets again, and by the way your team has been the league's best draw all year.

Which scenario produces more revenue for you?

Maybe it'll be played straight-up. That would be great. But the appearance is rotten because ownership is incentivized to hugely favor one outcome over the other.

Freedom
Site Admin

Post by Freedom » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm not the owner, nor am I a cynic. Obviously a straight up game is
all I thought about. Now if I were to hear differently from the owner,
or the coaches, players, refs and/or league officials that the outcome
was "planned", then I say you're cause for concern is legit.

Other than that, there is a huge difference in "wanting" Cincy to win
and "making sure" Miami Valley doesn't. I haven't noticed one thing,
(player moves, coaching changes, pay issues) that would lead me to
think this game has a predetermined outcome. How about you?

jcompton
Site Admin

Post by jcompton » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:00 pm

[quote=""Freedom""]I'm not the owner, nor am I a cynic. Obviously a straight up game is all I thought about. Now if I were to hear differently from the owner, or the coaches, players, refs and/or league officials that the outcome was "planned", then I say you're cause for concern is legit.
[/quote]

Rarely do people planning to do something untoward announce, "Hello, world! I am about to do something bad and wrong!"

But, very well. We see the matter differently.

Rooster
Site Admin

Hooray!

Post by Rooster » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:52 am

This thread should be required reading for any potential owner. Many thanks for the lively discussion with valid points all around.

I shudder to think of a world with more indoor football acronyms....get it right, focus on the franchises that aren't bleeding money, and start combining leagues for the sake of the sport in general.
Will Work for Red Bull!

newiflfan
Site Admin

Post by newiflfan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 am

I just want to say how jealous I am of the fans in cities that have teams that are run well, no matter what league it might be in. It's a bummer to see poor ownership destroy what could have been a good thing.

Freedom
Site Admin

Post by Freedom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:12 am

[quote=""jcompton""]Rarely do people planning to do something untoward announce, "Hello, world! I am about to do something bad and wrong!"

But, very well. We see the matter differently.[/quote]

Yes we do, but I really didn't think you had a press release saying "Cincy is cheating".

You say the game is fixed, based on nothing more than single ownership? Okay . . .

Freedom
Site Admin

Post by Freedom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:41 pm

With the playoffs set, Cincy, MV and Wisc are all done for the season. FW on the
other hand has one game to go and signed a mini all-star team (thanks to Marion
folding) At least Cincy/MV had teams they built throughout the season, that game
now seems more legit to me than the FW/Wisc match-up.

I don't know that it will even help FW, but loading up while the other teams are idle
seems far more rotten than the MV/Cincy thing . . . JMHO

jcompton
Site Admin

Post by jcompton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:01 pm

The Wolfpack is guilty of that sort of thing too. When Chicago came up, first Wisconsin massacred them, then they poached away the team's best players. I presume CIFL contracts are week-to-week for both the team and the players...

Return to “Indoor/Arena Football”