APFL news in Wichita paper

Bill
Site Admin

APFL news in Wichita paper

Post by Bill » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:46 am

According to Ralph Adams Wichita will "very likely" field a team in the APFL this 2005 season. This in the Wichita Eagle newspaper today.

The article also mentioned players were paid $200 a game..

The Koyotes, Missouri, and Iowa (Council Bluffs) were all listed as returning ..

Other new cities "expected" to field teams were Overland Park, Kansas (Kansas City metro), Omaha, Springfield, MO, and Pueblo, CO.

The best news in the article was that Mike McCoy, former GM of the Wichita Stealth would be the GM of the new Wichita team... With McCoy at the helm and a pay scale similar to that of the AF2.. Then it won't be the Koyotes and a bunch of punching bags...

My initial feeling was.. Oh crud.. the APFL.. But hopefully this will be the beginning of a real minor league indoor footbal league.. With Missouri and Iowa upgrading their talent and the other new teams being competetive .

I will go to games regardless...

Take Care All

Football Chick
Site Admin

Post by Football Chick » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:36 pm

Thanks for letting us know what you found!!!

spider
Site Admin

Post by spider » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:31 pm

Okay, where's is the APFL website? You would think that a league that is going into year three would have a website.

Where is the team in Springfield going to play? I haven't heard anything about a indoor football team. Is the Rifles going to have anything to do with it?

Bill
Site Admin

Post by Bill » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:16 pm

Well Spider...
I have talked to the writer of the article in the past about some of his other articles about various subjects...

All I have ever gotten was "I just wrote what they told me in the interview"...

So to try to get a "feel" for how far the APFL is along in their quest for more teams, I would have to go to a different source...

I will say this.. From the looks on the Koyote website that you have of the Missouri arena.. It wouldn't take much of a venue to make it.. "work?"..

XFL
Site Admin

APFL website

Post by XFL » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:22 am

"Okay, where's is the APFL website?"

This might be their website:

http://www.pmfb.net/apfl/

Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:18 pm

That would be a negatory.

Bill
Site Admin

Post by Bill » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:48 am

Well an update...

Sort of..

In today's Wichita Eagle, Tuesday, February 22 they have stated that the APFL will field a team in Wichita this coming season and will start games either April 17 or 23rd... Only an OK from the Kansas Coliseum and were supposedly in business...

In this article Topeka, KCMO, and Council Bluffs are still coming back..
And of the new teams Overland Park, Kansas and Omaha are the new franchises along with Wichita...

No mention this time of Pueblo, Colorado or Springfield, Missouri..

Nor any mention of nicknames, uniforms or the such...

Also, This article claimed a $200 per player, per game maximum.. Based on game attendance.. Not the same of course as just plain $200...

nksports
Site Admin

APFL and Wichita

Post by nksports » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:08 am

The league web site is apflonline.tripod.com, but it hasn't been updated in a long time. Concerning the league's payscale — according to the Kansas Storm's website, they are charging their players $250 a season to play plus a $100 equipment rental fee.

The Wichita team is supposedly going to be named the Aviators.

There is a lot of good small-college talent in the area, especially of the NCAA Division II and NAIA variety that helped make the Warlords and Stealth competitive, but I can't see things being put together from scratch in a couple of months.

If things don't fall apart again, I see Wichita being an attractive market for AF2, NIFL or UIF by 2006.

Football Chick
Site Admin

Post by Football Chick » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:43 pm

The league doesn't officially have a website, otherwise there would be more links out there to it especially off the Koyote site........Nothing irritates me more than people trying to pass that as the "official" site!!

Bill
Site Admin

Post by Bill » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:10 pm

First off... There is no Kansas Storm in the APFL...

In previous seasons...
As far as I know.... (So.. the real info may be different)

But.. The Kansas Koyotes were paying their players to play..
And one of the reasons the APFL was not on OSC was because Missouri, Iowa, and the others did not pay their players...

Which of course seems believable if for no other reason than Kansas obliterating Missouri and Iowa on a never ending basis...

Return to “Indoor/Arena Football”