Dan Patrick Show on Spring Football

Fez
Site Admin

Dan Patrick Show on Spring Football

Post by Fez » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:25 pm

Today's (1/21) Dan Patrick show had interesting discussion of an NFL run "D-League" for Spring Football. They were debating back and forth, but I actually liked their ideas. 8 regional teams w/ 4 NFL teams assigned to each "d-league" team.

Teams would be made up largely of undrafted free agents who would play 8 weeks in the spring after the draft with the goal of getting signed by an NFL team. I'd love to see an NFL-supported spring league in about any reasonable format. FXFL but with actual money and TV...

They have a poll on the site that is running 50-50 about spring leagues. Vote yes!!!

http://www.danpatrick.com/
Subscribe to Dayton Pro Sports Daily News: http://paper.li/f-1313642591

mbond
Site Admin

Post by mbond » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:30 pm

This would be the only way that there would be immediate "success" (i.e finishing a season or two) for a spring league. The NFL could do it and having the NFL stamp probably would draw some eyeballs. They could go the developing young player route (18-22 year old players) or have a certain "cut" from each NFL team that go into a pool for these teams.

It may happen, but probably won't.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:54 pm

I love the people who insist there's a huge upside to spring pro outdoor football.

Every single league that has tried has failed. Every one. And the USFL was bleeding out before the lawsuit anyway. It didn't "work" and they wouldn't still be around if they'd stayed in the spring and they would not have been able to compete in the marketplace when the economics of the game changed radically in the 1990s.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:25 pm

Correct Sam that model won't work but is tried over and over with the same results :confused:

Fez
Site Admin

blah blah blah

Post by Fez » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:34 pm

Sigh.

Of course the Spring leagues have failed. We all know that. But I suppose posting "it won't work" over and over again is useful to those who are new to this topic.

I'm old enough to have attended USFL games, WLAF games, and UFL games, etc. That isn't the point. The key difference with this proposal is that it would be supported by the NFL and have a direct developmental purpose for undrafted free agents. While I'd prefer a true independent Spring league like the USFL (pre-Trump), I understand that a more limited "minor league" venture like this proposal is the only idea that seems to have a chance to work.

8 teams linked to four NFL teams each.

How about:

Portland: Seattle, San Francisco, Oakland, and Denver
San Diego: LA Chargers, LA Rams, Arizona, and Kansas City
Orlando: Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta
Hartford: New England, NY Jets, NY Giants, Buffalo
Columbus: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh
St. Louis: Minnesota, Green Bay, Chicago, Indianapolis
Birmingham: Baltimore, Carolina, Washington, Tennessee
San Antonio: Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Philadelphia
Subscribe to Dayton Pro Sports Daily News: http://paper.li/f-1313642591

Renandpat
Site Admin

Post by Renandpat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:23 pm

[quote=""Fez""]Sigh.

Of course the Spring leagues have failed. We all know that. But I suppose posting "it won't work" over and over again is useful to those who are new to this topic.

I'm old enough to have attended USFL games, WLAF games, and UFL games, etc. That isn't the point. The key difference with this proposal is that it would be supported by the NFL and have a direct developmental purpose for undrafted free agents. While I'd prefer a true independent Spring league like the USFL (pre-Trump), I understand that a more limited "minor league" venture like this proposal is the only idea that seems to have a chance to work.

8 teams linked to four NFL teams each.

How about:

Portland: Seattle, San Francisco, Oakland, and Denver
San Diego: LA Chargers, LA Rams, Arizona, and Kansas City
Orlando: Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Atlanta
Hartford: New England, NY Jets, NY Giants, Buffalo
Columbus: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh
St. Louis: Minnesota, Green Bay, Chicago, Indianapolis
Birmingham: Baltimore, Carolina, Washington, Tennessee
San Antonio: Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Philadelphia[/quote]

Taking the NFL away from St. Louis and (possibly) San Diego and then replacing those franchises with a NFL-backed minor league is not really a "make good", your proposal is an insult to those communities.

Birmingham is the go to city for these leagues while they had dwindling attendance for every new franchise they are awarded.

Columbus: The town didn't accept the Glory and that was before both the Tressel and Meyer eras at tOSU. The Crew control their stadium and playing at Ohio Stadium would be a huge error.

Portland: The Timbers control the revenues at Jel-Wen Field. The Timbers run the spring.

Orlando: Orlando City SC just got the major revenue for the local who want to spend their spring dollars.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:38 pm

I agree with the San Diego and St Louis comments but what franchise was Birmingham awarded?

The Barons have led the Southern League in attendance for the last 3 season since they moved back to the city.

UAB football had poor attendance but they are restarting the program with a new stadium and are expected to see quite the boost.

The basketball team draws very well.

Renandpat
Site Admin

Post by Renandpat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:47 pm

[quote=""Minor League Mania""]I agree with the San Diego and St Louis comments but what franchise was Birmingham awarded?

The Barons have led the Southern League in attendance for the last 3 season since they moved back to the city.

UAB football had poor attendance but they are restarting the program with a new stadium and are expected to see quite the boost.

The basketball team draws very well.[/quote]

In the history of professional football in Birmingham, every successive attempt has come with diminishing attendance.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:10 pm

So you are basing your opinion on one year leagues like the XFL several decades ago?

Alabama is a football state, and Birmingham is the college football capital of the south. I understand that some of these one year leagues have not drown well but many cities can stay the same.

People even in Birmingham said the city would not support the Barons move back to the city and that has gone extremely well.

I have no doubt if the NFL had an actual Minor League team there, it would draw pretty well especially if played in the new UAB football stadium.

Renandpat
Site Admin

Post by Renandpat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:49 pm

[quote=""Minor League Mania""]So you are basing your opinion on one year leagues like the XFL several decades ago?

Alabama is a football state, and Birmingham is the college football capital of the south. I understand that some of these one year leagues have not drown well but many cities can stay the same.

People even in Birmingham said the city would not support the Barons move back to the city and that has gone extremely well.

I have no doubt if the NFL had an actual Minor League team there, it would draw pretty well especially if played in the new UAB football stadium.[/quote]
First, there is not guarantee that the university, the city or Jefferson County is going to get an on-campus venue or a 50,000 seat dome next to the convention center built.

Secondly, history disagrees with your opinion.

From the Americans to the Vulcans, to the Stallions, to the Fire to the Bolts, attendance is about league average in year 1, but if there is a second year, it drops dramatically. They get a nice crowd for the inaugural game, then immediately struggle.

Those citizens care about Alabama and Auburn, not UAB or a minor league football franchise.

Return to “Outdoor Football”