The XFL

icedawg316
Site Admin

The XFL

Post by icedawg316 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:07 am

I was wondering if anyone was a supporter of the XFL, which had it's only season in 2001? I have a new site for the league (call me crazy) for those who are still fans (check my sig). I loved the XFL and was pretty bummed to see it last only 1 season as I know they had a lot to work on, but there was progress being made.

The Enforcers started the year 0-4 and finished a very strong 5-1, I was excited to see what they could do in 2002 with more time together and McDougal having more experience as the starter. But that wouldn't happen.

Give me your thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them

Last edited by icedawg316 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:14 am

How can you start off 0-4 and finish 5-1?

daytonadan
Site Admin

Post by daytonadan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:20 am

[quote=""phydeaux72""]How can you start off 0-4 and finish 5-1?[/quote]

You win five out of your last six games and finish the entire season 5-5 ....
Former Hall Monitor
Mrs. Brown's 4th Grade Class, Faulkner Elementary
New Smyrna Beach, Florida, 1974-75
"I Have More Important Things To Occupy My Time That What's Being Said On Message Boards -- OSC Founder Paul Reeths"
"There's a sucker born every minute" -- PT Barnum

indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:34 am

[quote=""phydeaux72""]How can you start off 0-4 and finish 5-1?[/quote]

I take it, Phydeaux was in the "special" math classes in school.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:08 pm

I enjoyed the league, though I could have done without the "Up yours, NFL," theatrics. Given another year or two, I believe the league could have developed some stars and would have improved its play.

Micro67
Site Admin

Post by Micro67 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:29 pm

I enjoyed XFL football and wish they could have stuck it out a little longer. I have a couple games and am always looking for games from the XFL, USFL and other alt leagues.

I am specifically looking for games from Birmingham teams if anyone has any. I have the Bolts/Hitmen game, but none that were played at Legion Field. Thanks.
http://www.mekongesl.com - sporting information from Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

icedawg316
Site Admin

Post by icedawg316 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:02 pm

The anti-NFL stuff really didn't do the league any favors, they were trying to be different and indirectly "compete" with the NFL that did them no favors and probably turned off the NFL fans. I enjoyed most of the games (have a few of them on dvd, with more to come thanks to a friend) and I really anticipated a 2nd season. The XFL really should have lasted.

Vince was great at marketing (which is why a guy like Rod Smart was the face of the XFL basically) and year 2 could have been even better, people were to quick to judge and the media took a massive part in that.

I'll be posting games in the future on my site, and will try to get some Birmingham home games if I can

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sun May 14, 2017 5:44 am

I apologize for dredging this up after so long.

I finally have seen the 30 For 30 piece about the XFL. That was quite the production.

One thing kept striking me while watching this:

Damn, that would have worked on HBO.

Would it now?
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu May 18, 2017 3:24 am

Given the demo they were courting then didn't watch TV on Saturday nights and that same demo would only see HBO through an app (after having cut the cord), I would not like their chances.

The XFL was a fun curiosity. The retrospective was okay, though whitewashed because Ebersol's kid directed it.

ALL that said, they're the most successful alternative league since the USFL because they actually played an entire season, actually had a handful of NFL-caliber players and were actually on real television.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Thu May 18, 2017 4:25 pm

Sam,your statement has some merit but here is the old man get off my lawn moment.

ALL that said, they're the most successful alternative league since the USFL because they actually played an entire season, actually had a handful of NFL-caliber players and were (actually on real television.) Sam Hill

Today 21st century thinking and material fact evidence, your phone is a computer,phone and television in the palm of your hand, its actual real television being viewed on it, and without going to deep the old model of TV rights from television is about to dry up, there is a model that could transform the way advertisers could benefit from online distribution of sports or any other entertainment outlet, sponsorship strategies are moving digitally.

Give little to no attention to the current offering's from minor league sports who should be the benefactor's of this early jump but have no clue of what is happening, they still are operating using the 19th century models even in selling tickets and revenue return, even the no fun league has moved into the online space but with that same 19th century model that will dry up and the Amazon's Twitter types will figure out what they are currently missing and flip the way media companies relate to sports teams when agreeing to broadcast events.

I'm not attacking your opinion on this just pointing out there's a way and its not based upon an outdated model.
Last edited by suge night on Thu May 18, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Outdoor Football”