W.A.B.A. Wouldn't it be interesting if...

Evad
Site Admin

W.A.B.A. Womens American Basketball Association

Post by Evad » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:08 pm

As per ABA website.

TAMMY BAGBY NAMED DIRECTOR OF WABA

Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) http://www.abalive.com today announced that Tammy Bagby has been named Director of the Women’s American Basketball Association (WABA). “We are so very excited to have Tammy directing the development of the WABA,” stated Joe Newman, ABA CEO. “Her background as a star college and professional player, coach and administrator is incredible, truly an amazing young woman with all of the skill sets necessary to maximize the potential of the WABA and to make the new league a significant part of women’s professional sports.”

Ms. Bagby has been the Director of Basketball Operations for the WNBA Tulsa Shock where her responsibilities included, but were not limited to, assisting the owners and management in the organization and administration of the team in the areas of budget, equipment ordering, organizing camps and coordinating community service activities for the team, assisting in marketing and seeking sponsorships.

She also served as Assistant Coach and worked on player development, game preparation and scouting as well as planning practices and individual player workouts. She was Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach at Tennessee State University, Head Girls Basketball Coach for People to People Sports in Amsterdam Holland where she won the Gold Medal. Tammy has served as Asst. Coach at Morgan State University and Clark Atlanta University. As a player, she has played in the And1 Tour as the only female player (shooting guard), Athletes in Action in Prague, Czech Republic; FIBA League, Losice Slovakia, NWBA in Atlanta, WNBA Orlando Miracles (invitational), Shaquille O’Neal All Star Event. She has coached in France, Germany, Switzerland, Australia and Holland.

“I’m confident that my knowledge of the game and my continuing hard-work in all aspects of women’s basketball will help me make the WABA a huge success,” stated Ms. Bagby. “I am a leader, self-motivated and I have set high standards for myself and any projects that I undertake. The challenge of creating a new professional basketball league is a great opportunity. There are so many great women basketball players out there, the sport is growing in popularity. We will make the WABA something very special indeed. One of my first initiatives will be to create divisions of four teams throughout the US.

We’ve had 30-40 inquiries already and I am on top of this.”
Last edited by Evad on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Evad
Site Admin

Post by Evad » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:54 pm

"TEN" said this in the aba thread so I just wanted to quote them here...

OK....here is what I know about the Tulsa Shock. They have been the worst run team in the WNBA the last two years...I'm not too sure how many wins they posted this year, but I think their record something like 3 and 20-something...

The franchise is a trainwreck....which I guess makes the hire make sense...

I just checked the record of the Shock on the official WNBA web site and they were 3, yes 3 wins, and 31 losses. If this is an example of how well the waba is gonna run then we all know what the results will be. At the same time I want to give them the benefit of a doubt and have a "wait and see" perspective. We will be watching....and we will be paying attention...

Evad
Site Admin

Post by Evad » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Here it is the official website for the W.A.B.A.

http://wabalive.com/

And here is a morsel to chew on.

GREENVILLE, NC TO BE FIRST WABA TEAM

Indianapolis, IN. The American Basketball Association (ABA) http://www.abalive.com today announced that Greenville, NC will have the honor of being the first team to officially sign-up for the new Women’s American Basketball Association (WABA) that will begin play in January 2012. “We are very excited that Stephanie and Tyrone Wilson have decided to add a WABA team to their men’s team and are the first to do it,” said Joe Newman, ABA CEO. “The response to the origiinal announcement about the league has been very gratifying and we are working with a total of 27 teams already.”

“WABA teams will play in the same venues as ABA teams either before or after the mens’ games,” added Newman. “This will provide even greater sports and entertainment value at affordable prices and will develop a whole new fan base. Women’s basketball is growing rapidly, the talent is extraordinary and we believe that fans will love it.”

“Tyrone and I are very pleased about this opportunity,” stated Stephanie Wilson, team co-owner. “We’ll market both teams together and be able to do even more for our community. Plus we’re excited to be the first. For more information, email stephaniewilson510@gmail.com or visit http://www.abalive.com or http://www.wabalive.com or call 252 945 7667.

sportsaddressbible
Site Admin

Waba/aba

Post by sportsaddressbible » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:37 am

I doubt it would be much different than the ABA. teams that don't finish their seasons, etc.

ABA needs to have teams post an operating bond that insures that they finish the season.

Too many fly by night teams unfortunately.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:25 am

I love the quote that they will market both teams together. I mean, really. THERE IS NO MARKETING AT ALL from the get-go. Evad is correct, we'll keep an eye on this but it seems like this is ABAish, which means 'epic fail'.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:49 pm

[quote=""Paul S""]... it seems like this is ABAish, which means 'epic fail'.[/quote]

If the league is supposed to begin play in January 2012, shouldn't there be more than one team in the league at Thanksgiving 2011? :)

Evad
Site Admin

Post by Evad » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:03 pm

I asked the San Diego Sol, through their Facebook page, if they were going to field a team in the WABA and this is how they replied.

"No WABA for us :) We are committed to the WBCBL"

The WBCBL is the womens blue chip basketball league

http://www.wbcbl.com/

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:39 am

[quote=""seobts""]She also served as Assistant Coach and worked on player development, game preparation and scouting as well as planning practices and individual player workouts. She was Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach at Tennessee State University, Head Girls Basketball Coach for People to People Sports in Amsterdam Holland where she won the Gold Medal. Tammy has served as Asst. Coach at Morgan State University and Clark Atlanta University. As a player, she has played in the And1 Tour as the only female player (shooting guard), Athletes in Action in Prague, Czech Republic; FIBA League, Losice Slovakia, NWBA in Atlanta, WNBA Orlando Miracles (invitational), Shaquille O’Neal All Star Event. She has coached in France, Germany, Switzerland, Australia and Holland.[/quote]

It all sounds great, but this is run by the ABA, where the wheels of the bus will run you over. The league's track record speaks for itself.

Evad
Site Admin

Post by Evad » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:56 pm

http://abalive.com/aba-featured-news/ti ... -director/

TIM HICKS APPOINTED WABA MIDWEST DIRECTOR

Indianapolis, IN. Tim, Hicks, owner of the ABA Indianapolis Drive professional basketball team, has been named Midwest Director of the WABA, the ABA’s women’s league, scheduled to begin its initial season in January on a limited basis.

Working closely with Tammy Bagby, WABA Director, and Ron Hicks, owner of the Chicago Lady Steam, the plans call for a round robin tournament in mid-January in Indianapolis, featuring teams from Chicago, Cleveland OH, Indianapolis and other midwest cities. If you have a team that would like to compete in the tournament, contact Tim Hicks.

The Indy Finest team will hold its first tryouts on December 20th from 6-9pm at the Avon IN LA Fitness at 9100 Rockville Road in Avon Indiana.

For more information about the tryouts, visit http://www.indyfine.com or call 317 927 1777 or 317 294 0909. Or visit http://www.abalive.com

Evad
Site Admin

Post by Evad » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Just a update. Has anyone heard any thing?

Return to “Women's Basketball”