NBDL to 15 teams?

afdave
Site Admin

NBDL to 15 teams?

Post by afdave » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:21 pm

So, is the prevailing thought that the NBDL would just like to get to 15 teams (2 NBA teams feeding each D-League team). They could go to 3 5-team divisions then, and basically have a similar playoff system to the NBA conference championships.

afdave
Site Admin

Post by afdave » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:32 pm

Another thing I noticed... Broomfield, CO (of the Colorado 14ers), is basically a suburb of Denver. If they do ok, would other NBA owners be willing to allow small arena's in their metro area's to get NBDL teams? I'm thinking the new Sears Centre in far-west suburban Chicago probably would be interested.

Mike4FireAntz34
Site Admin

Post by Mike4FireAntz34 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:19 pm

I think 15 teams in the NBDL would be great.....the more teams the better the competition for a playoff spot!!
GO GUARD, 6-1 looking at 7-1" this weekend!

panchess
Site Admin

Makes sense to me..

Post by panchess » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:47 pm

..while I am disappointed at the current state of the CBA, I never understood how Broomfield would work in the league anyway.

The Dakota teams are well-run franchises, but don't seem like the markets the NBA wants. You could say the same of Boise.

Eventually, I think the NBDL will end up with more teams like Broomfield. Gary would be a natural fit in the NBDL too, being close to a couple NBA teams. Markets like Albany (though the Pats weren't asked to join, and are currently not interested), Sherveport, and Scranton come to mind. Close to NBA teams without a lot of major D1 basketball.

Mix in a few markets in suburban parts of LA and a couple other big cities, have a loop that emphasizes divisional play, and you have something.

Three five-team divisions: Eight games in division, two games against everybody else for a 52 game schedule without outrageous travel costs.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:27 pm

When I think of the way Europe operates... especially the reserve teams, I really do wonder if there will be more Broomfields in this outfit. Long Beach, Tacoma, St. Paul, maybe Provo, Fort Worth, Katy, et cetera. NBA teams could end up not only having primary "affiliations," they could end up having full youth programs and the whole nine yards, and run the lesser-revenue teams out of the smaller buildings.

I do tend to agree that this might be where the NBA should go. In the interim, however, they need the Dakotas to resemble a stable base. The concept has to take hold before it can take off.

suge night
Site Admin

Flyers playoff ticket's

Post by suge night » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:55 pm

Funny,all season the flyers have over charged for ticket's going from $8.00 at the start to $10.00 by mid season for general admission now comes the kicker playoff ticket's going for $5.00 for general admission they are hard up for any one to come to the game, but came into town blowning smoke about a average of 4,000 per game attending their games.Like I've said don't get caught up in the bull the league is putting out they will have some teams folding just as it did before.....

#1 Guard Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 Guard Fan » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:00 pm

15 or 20 teams I don't see them being back in Fayetteville,NC next year. The league wants to seel the last two teams they own and I don't see anyone around here jumping to buy the team

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:13 pm

You should try to get Arena Racing USA in Fayettenam.

I hear they are doing a special one day event in May in Richmond. I think if they did a circuit tour in the summer it would be huge. With ANY level of serious marketing it would outdraw hockey and basketball.

As to the D-League, yes, I'm afraid the Roanoke and Fayetteville teams are likely out without at least 3 teams out east. I'd wish to hell they would get a team in Buffalo and/or Elmira.

Owners shouldn't look to buying a D-League team out east unless the NBA was willing to get more eastern teams. They should wait on lower level leagues (I said leagues, not circuses like the ABA).
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

suge night
Site Admin

Post by suge night » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:56 pm

Sign Guy,the arena thing is bigger than a lot of people think it is you are on the point it already draws more than minor league basketball just for a one day event,the other point is with no east coast team's in the fold a owner would be crazy to put a team in the league and have to travel but you will alway's have a guy with a big ego out there until he loses his a$$ over a 2 year period.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:07 am

I did forget about the teams in Florida but they need a few more. D-League ego won't all them to play in smaller barns in smaller towns.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

Return to “Men's Basketball”