Site Admin

Tobacco Road Basketball League Thread

Post by LightningMan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Here we go again.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Coverage from the Fayetteville Observer:
Fayetteville Observer wrote:After spending its inaugural season in the Continental Basketball League, the Fayetteville Crossover is changing leagues.

The Crossover, a semi-pro men's team co-owned by John D. Fuller Jr. and Patrick Dupree, will start its 2012 season with the Tobacco Road Basketball League.

A press release issued by the Crossover states they are charter members of the TRBL, along with fellow former CBL members the Cary Invasion and the Wilmington Sea Dawgs.

Dupree said the TRBL is a joint venture designed to cut down on travel expenses for the teams. The CBL includes teams from Florida, Georgia and Alabama.
More at the link.

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:09 am

Just wow.

The "Tobacco Road Basketball League" is the worst name of any kind I have ever heard of for any organization in all my years on this Earth.

To the league management: Are you people completely stupid?

You deserve the strongest rebuke possible. Why would you NEEDLESSLY associate your sports business (that you will try to use to build relationships with families and kids) with tobacco in any way, shape or form?

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

The \"Duke\" in Duke University & Medicine

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:46 am

Not loving the name for the connotation, but also not thinking it is a negative factor in this region, and it seems appropriate for the mission given this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_Road

The reference/name appears to even be used in a prominent local marathon sponsored by DUKE University medicine. Anybody know where the Duke family money came from?

http://tobaccoroadmarathon.com/

Sometimes understanding a little history can be important, and it is very doubtful to me given the acceptance of the term in this region that anyone draws a negative.

But, if I were these guys I might like the attention a little controversy might draw to a league that appears to be a week old....even if I decided to change the name.

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:35 am

I checked back so soon because I knew someone would post something such as what was posted above.

It doesn't matter that there's a connection between tobacco and something positive in the area.

You have to know better.

You have other options.

Many, many other options.

You're trying to build relationships with kids and families.

You REALLY have to know better. You just have to KNOW BETTER.

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:50 am

JK, I believe you are wrong about this, and I suspect you are not from the region.

References to tobacco road are constant in the world of basketball (college obviously) in the region, and it has spilled over into the names of many businesses and events (and other sports), many of which do cater to kids and families. (You might do a little googling.)

People in the region (who count to this league I suspect) do not associate tobacco road (those two words together, its an important note) with a green plant that you dry out and smoke. They associate it with good basketball and that may in fact be good for marketing.

And, I think you too quickly dismissed what was posted above by simply saying you expected it. Tobacco bad, yes. Tobacco + kids bad, yes. We get that, but where you are going I believe is a stretch mostly out not understanding the area and market (and not taking the time to do so.)

That said, I might not go with the name myself but not for the same reason. I would be surprised if anyone cared enough to give them heat about it, but if I were them I would almost hope they do for the exposure.

Maybe I would feel the same as you if someone put up a Jack Daniels League (note to self, seek trademark for JDL) in East Tennessee, but I would make sure I understood the regional connotations and historical references first.

I am not saying that process need be applied to all team or league names. Some names are clearly offensive or in poor taste otherwise. That is not what we are talking about here however. I could even get on board with the NBA Bullets name change (I lived in DC when they changed it), but this is quite a bit different scenario.

Watch a little Dickie V when UNC plays Duke and you will get it. In the end, I just want to see some good stable minor league basketball in the region. The stable part has been the challenge for everyone it seems.

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

rule page review

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:24 am

Rules copied below from the web site noted on a PR and my comments in brackets...some will need work I think. I guess we should be thankful there are some rules.

TRBL-Sanctioned Games Must Meet the Following Criteria: {DAZED comment: it is a shame some of this has to be stated}

Both participating teams must be TRBL-sanctioned members.
The standard TRBL scorecard must be submitted electronically within 72 hours after the game. {DAZED comment: seems like this should be next day}
The scorecard must be approved by both head coaches, the head referee, and a certified trainer or physician.
Game referees must have successfully completed the TRBL Referee Orientation Course. {DAZED comment: no info about where/what this is}
Each team must have at least 8 active players for the game. {DAZED comment: should be 10}

Games must be played according to the TRBL rules, which are NBA rules with the following exceptions:
Either a 22 or 24 second shot clock may be utilized. {DAZED comment: why 22?}
A college 3-pt line may be utilized.
A \"no foul out\" rule may be utilized where the 6th+ foul by a player on the court results in a +1 free throw. {DAZED comment: always hated this}

TRBL-Sanctioned Teams Must Meet the Following Criteria: {DAZED comment: no real comment here other than there is not reference to the what the standards are in some of these, just subjective approval implied}

Proof of general liability insurance must be submitted.
Proof of workers’ compensation insurance, if applicable, must be submitted.
A complete roster (at least 10 players) with player photos in uniform and indication of previous college and professional experience must be submitted. (Note each player will receive and TRBL ID used for statistic tracking.) Updates can be submitted with the game-time scorecard upload.
A sample player contract must be submitted.
Team uniforms, name, logo, and web site must be submitted the TRBL. (Note the TRBL provides a free web service for member teams.)
Teams must sign the TRBL \"pact\" agreement.

Point Series Rules:

Points are awarded as follows: 5 pts for a road win, 4 points for a home win, 3 points for an OT loss OR a loss of 3 points or less, 2 points for a road loss, and 1 point for a home loss. {DAZED comment: i dont fully follow this}
10 total games per season will count in the points standings. {DAZED comment: i\'d prefer a set season of games; i hope that\'s what they are doing}

No team owner may own controlling interest in any team opponents. {DAZED comment: makes me think wilmington is doing other teams}

No opponent may be played more than 4 times.

There must be at least 7 players from the initial roster submitted for each season on the active roster for each TRBL-sanctioned regular season and tournament games. (Waivers may be considered on a case-by-case basis as submitted to the TRBL office.) {DAZED comment: i don\'t fully follow the need for this, maybe the intent is to make sure nobody loads up for the playoffs? }

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:26 am

"I was born in a dump,
my mother died,
my daddy got drunk.
They left me here,
to die or grow,
in the middle of Tobacco Road."
Last edited by nksports on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DazedAndAmused
Site Admin

Animals Reference!

Post by DazedAndAmused » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:40 am

NK, you are dating yourself, and me.

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:18 pm

[quote=""DazedAndAmused""]
Maybe I would feel the same as you if someone put up a Jack Daniels League (note to self, seek trademark for JDL) in East Tennessee, but I would make sure I understood the regional connotations and historical references first.
[/quote]

An apt comparison.

I like Jack Daniels, and I know much of what is commonly known about its Tennessee roots.. But it would be an equally bad idea to form the Jack Daniels Baseball League..

I get what you're trying to say about the regional importance of tobacco.. but there were a million other choices available to them.. it's not as if there were only 3 choices and they chose the best name out of a bad lot.. there were infinite possibilities..

Lastly, as to choosing the name to create controversy, there are more effective ways to get attention..

Return to “Men's Basketball”