Minor League Basketball Visioning Meeting

" The Shadow"
Site Admin

Post by " The Shadow" » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:06 am

[quote=""wellington""]I heard that the meeting in Chicago was a big success... a press release will be coming out Monday.[/quote]

I attended the meeting yesterday in Chicago, and happy to say that it went well. I will have plenty to say about it on the radio show on Tuesday Sept 13 at 7pm est. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cbl.

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:56 am

I was at the meeting as well..

I'd like to thank Mark King for putting the whole thing together, and thank the PBL for their support of the day's events.. It was good to see Dayton Air Strikers owner Anthony Byrd again, and meet the CBL folks, PBL folks and the other interested parties who were in attendance.

The final result of the day was that a preliminary plan was put in place to use the next 30 days to map out the direction the UBFA will take going forward..

The goal of the UBFA is no secret: to work with leagues to make sure that the teams within those leagues are living up to a specific set of guidelines and principles. While a good outline and some basic concepts were presented about what the guidelines should be, the specifics are a work-in-progress and will be revealed as soon as possible.

A five person Board of Directors was nominated in the meeting. It's important to note that the board was structured in a specific fashion:

2 members who directly represent a minor league basketball LEAGUE - Lamont Moreno, Continental Basketball League ... Brij Desai, Premier Basketball League

1 member who directly represents a minor league basketball TEAM - Mark King, Florida Flight

2 members who are not stakeholders in any capacity, and thus are of neutral interest - David Knickelbein and myself.

Keep in mind this is the Board for the initial 30 day period, after which there may be changes. For example, there was discussion in the room that if other leagues take an interest in the UBFA then they would obviously have representation on the Board.

If anyone is interested in the UBFA, please email Mark King at mking@floridaflight.com.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:25 pm

In that regard, I would suggest that it be part of the board structure that the board must always be comprised in part by one member from each signatory league and that there must always be at least one unaffiliated (with a league or team) board member.

Sounds like things are starting up well.

StealthSpiker
Site Admin

USA Basketball

Post by StealthSpiker » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:07 pm

I think that the emphatic statements of CBAWorldHoops are being ignored and he is trying to highlight an issue that is in essence, the 800 pound gorilla. My background has been the development of a pro volleyball league in the US. Do you know what doomed previous efforts? Lack of coordination between the governing body and the new/proposed league.

Here is the bottom line: USA Basketball has a love/hate relationship with the NBA because the NBA considers itself a "governing body" and does things in a non-standard manner relative to the USA Basketball standards. In other words, the NBA is a "competitor" for top tier talent. USA Basketball is THE governing body and frankly, they can bury the UFBA outright if they think it is going to harm the sport.

What a National Club Tournament does is provide a bridge for USAB and FIBA involvement. They already run these types of tournaments for Olympic qualification and can provide the tools necessary to deal with a selection procedure. They can also draw players to the leagues they deem acceptable by building a pipeline to send players that are good, but need more development. In fact, they can make some of the minor leagues pathways to Olympic and World competition. USAB and FIBA can be great feeder organizations for new talent and elevate the right league to a level far beyond what those leagues have the resources to do now.

The problem is that as it stands now, the UFBA would be seen as a "governing body" and an impediment to the growing calls for a standardized global basketball game. I could see why the CBA would want to stay away from being involved in a process that creates a "competitor" to USAB and FIBA. USAB probably has national standards already and it is likely that you would be duplicating their work.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:37 pm

First of all, thanks for the kind words, Jeff. I know everyone wants updates, and I will provide a thorough update very soon. I'm just out of town enjoying some personal family time this weekend. I'll return Tuesday. If I have time this weekend, I will write more. Otherwise, expect something sent to everyone (including a video presentation uploaded to youtube which outlines the issues, vision, and mission of the UBFA.

As far as USA Basketball goes, I've spoken with them already, and they are very much in support of the idea of the UBFA. Obviously, they want to monitor and probably provide some feedback as to the further development of the UBFA. In response to "governing bodies"...all of the relationships affiliated with USA Basketball are governing bodies, so the declaration that the UBFA, being a governing body in and of itself, thus being a hindrance and competitor to USA Basketball is quite a flawed statement. The NBA governs the top tier pro system in the USA, the NCAA and NAIA governs collegiate ball, AAU the top tier junior recreation basketball efforts, etc. They are governing bodies as well, are they not?

The UBFA wants to govern our section - independent minor league basketball, which, up to this point, no one has bucked up to do. USA Basketball sees the ideas behind the creation of the UBFA as an important step in protected and advancing the game of basketball in the USA. Minor leagues have wreaked havoc on the sport, and it needs to be fixed.

I'll write more later, but on all counts, this meeting is more than a step in the right direction. I simply can't update people fast enough. I've been bombarded with calls and emails from people very interested in the conference. It is likely that we might have to hold a similar conference again for the people that were initially on the fence. The fallacy that this meeting was some ploy to recruit teams was simply ludicrous. Now that those charges have been proven frivolous, we can now get down to business.

t's being embraced by almost everyone. It's needed...it's time...and it will be the biggest step in minor league ball towards creating a better system for leagues, teams and owners to be successful.
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Zeke,

Did the Northwest Indiana Stars, by any chance, attend this meeting? If so, I think that could be why they joined the PBL...
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Actually, they were at the meeting, and I know why they left the ABA. Our buddy Joe doesn't pay any attention, and accepted another 10K for a franchise 10 minutes from their home venue.

No wonder Joe doesn't want anything to do with "standards" being put in place. He's all about the money. He really could care less, which this information above makes it clearly obvious!

Just so everyone knows, one of the points made at the conference was that the UBFA WILL NOT CONDONE team recruitment WHATSOEVER. Now, if a team feels that a different league, willing to ADHERE TO STANDARDS, is a better place for them, that's another story. The long-term idea is that all leagues have a concentration area that they can handle, operate it with the established standards, and work together. Obviously, NWI thought the PBL was the better move for them, and I think, given the recent changeover of the IBL, they probably made a good choice. Just my opinion though.
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:54 pm

As Mark said, the gentlemen from the Northwest Indiana Stars were at the meeting.

Joe Newman had threatened to throw out any team from the ABA who showed up, so out of respect for them I wasn't going to mention they were there so as to not affect their standing with the ABA. That doesn't seem to be an issue any more.

While some people would argue that being thrown out of the ABA isn't really losing anything, I disagree.

I feel that it took guts for Derrick and Ken (the Stars' owners) to attend. I personally DO feel that getting kicked out of your league and forfeiting your franchise fee is a big deal, so I appreciate that Derrick and Ken took some risk to be there and be a part of the UBFA's formation meeting.

I respect that they put the game ahead of their own interests.

So now we have the issue of the UBFA meeting was a catalyst to the NWI Stars being recruited from the ABA to the PBL, which as Mark said UBFA meetings are not supposed to be used for that purpose. But in post #42 of this thread, I stated that the PBL being involved in this meeting was smart business for them - for just that purpose: team recruitment.

And now that's happened.

There's two sides to this coin:

Side 1) If you're a league you should be in touch with every team in your footprint anyway. Technically you shouldn't need a UBFA meeting to use as a recruitment tool.

Side 2) The connections made at these meetings may not pay dividends for 1, 2, 5 years down the road, but make no mistake, we're all human and CONNECTIONS GET MADE. It's normal. If there's a gathering of minor league basketball entities (such as a UBFA meeting) it only makes business sense to BE THERE if you're a league owner.

Your league should work with the UBFA simply because it will bring the sport to another level. But sticking your head in the sand about the networking opportunities doesn't make any sense to me either.

All that said, UBFA meetings aren't meant to be a platform to leagues to pitch themselves to team owners. And the UBFA meeting itself WASN'T. I was one of the last people to leave the room and was in the room for every second of the formal meeting. Whatever discussions about switching those parties had happened outside of the meeting framework.

I fully admit it looks awkward that the Chicago meeting was partly responsible for the NWI Stars' switch to the PBL..

Once leagues with overlapping footprints are part of the UBFA, or definitely for the next UBFA meeting, hopefully some kind of policy will be in place preventing league owners from contacting teams that were at the meeting for a certain time frame. 10 days, for example.

This is America and if the NWI Stars were more impressed with the PBL than the ABA then, since they're adults and all, they can do what they want.

But if the impression develops among league administrators that by going to a UBFA event you will risk your league losing some teams, then I can see why other leagues won't want to get involved. I think a "no-contact period" or "cooling-off period" or whatever you want to call it should be in place and maybe 10 days isn't enough.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:24 am

Additionally...

I have a personal message from me to league and team owners..

Some of you may publicly state that you don't "waste your time" on OSC, but let's face it - you all read this board.. so, again, I have a message for you:

NOW is the time to get involved. NOW is the time when the initial bylaws are going to be written. Now is the time when policies will be discussed. The UBFA needs people directly involved in minor league basketball. And the UBFA needs you NOW.

If you're a league owner, contact Mark King (mking@floridaflight.com) right away.

If you're a team owner, contact your league office and ask them what their plans are for getting involved.

The organization needs to grow and it needs MORE PEOPLE who have direct involvement in the sport. Speaking only for myself I'd definitely also like to see someone from USA Basketball be given a place at the table in the very near future, too. But in the IMMEDIATE TERM the UBFA needs league representation.

Mark, Brij Desai and Lamont Moreno are fantastic people to set the stage.. but there are more people who need to have their voices heard..

I can understand that you don't like the idea of someone else telling you how to operate your league or your team..Well what BETTER reason to be involved in the process? Be a part of the discussion. Help guide the development at this crucial stage.. BE A PART OF THE UBFA YOURSELF..

Even if you believe that, for 2012, some of your teams might have a problem meeting the standards .. Guess what? I can pretty much guarantee that some CBL and PBL teams would not have met the standards last year either.. That didn't stop them..

Don't let that stop you from being heard right now.. even if you plan to be part of things in 2013, contact Mark King TODAY. Nothing's been set in stone. Everything is fluid.. the time to make a difference for the sport is right now..

Honestly, the UBFA is just trying to right the ship. The more leagues that become part of the conversation, the better.

basketball facts
Site Admin

Post by basketball facts » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:20 pm

All of this is already done --- it is called FIBA. become a member of FIBA and many of these things you are trying to accomplish are already done. FIBA

Return to “Men's Basketball”