Minor League Basketball Visioning Meeting

bluecatsguy
Site Admin

Post by bluecatsguy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:08 pm

[quote=""LightningMan""]I think starting with just 16 teams would be a better start.[/quote]

For whatever it's worth, I agree with LightningMan on this one. Start small. a 16 team tournament could, in premise, be run over a long weekend. Keeps travel lower for the teams involved and keeps the tournament in constant mind for 3-4 days. This way you are also not watering down the level of play with to many teams.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:21 pm

I was thinking along the same lines. As for the time frame...some have suggested 2 tournaments (one Spring/Summer and one Fall/Winter). I'd like to find a way to just make it one. To me, the time frame would have to be in April, in between the two. Teams in the Fall/Winter will just be finishing up, and teams for the Spring/Summer will be coming together. Or could it be in August/September, after the Spring/Summer but before the Fall/Winter? Or do we just have two tournaments?
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

TChasePBL
Site Admin

Tournament

Post by TChasePBL » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:06 pm

I agree that it should start with 16 teams. Maybe extend invitations to the two teams that play for the championship in each league. If that does not equate to 16 teams, then a selection committee could extend invitations to whatever number of teams under an independent umbrella would be needed to fill out the brackets. Personally, due to player movement and contract issues, I feel like you have to have two tournaments.

basketball facts
Site Admin

Post by basketball facts » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Its called a pro am-as a matter of fact, I will be playing in one this weekend

basketball facts
Site Admin

Post by basketball facts » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:37 pm

Cool beans. Give me a call and tell me when you are playing. I might swing on by if I can get out of this tiny hamlet called Hampshire!!!

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:47 pm

By all appearances, basketball facts is talking to himself. :confused:

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:48 pm

[quote=""basketball facts""]Its called a pro am-as a matter of fact, I will be playing in one this weekend[/quote]
[quote=""basketball facts""]Cool beans. Give me a call and tell me when you are playing. I might swing on by if I can get out of this tiny hamlet called Hampshire!!![/quote]
Quoted for posterity.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:19 pm

[quote=""basketball facts""]You are exactly correct. Hooray for someone else you can see the light. Thnak you for you comments. And, for the record, I remember when the USBL had a strong franchise in North Carolina-[/quote]

Interesting....Basketball Facts likes to post under different names. His IP Address switches from time to time, so it's hard to catch, but huh...all this time I had two enemies, and it's really a guy with multiple personalities!

See this thread...and the IP under this post and the one quoted above...

//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... post143658

[quote=""one way""]Tony Chase fired by the PBL. Carrie May is now running the show. In the words of Dick Vitale "Are you kidding me!!!!"[/quote]

And to answer the question Lightening Man, perhaps Mr. Bball Fiction thought he changed his OSC username, and decided to have a conversation with himself? Pretty creepy if you ask me. Time for a small vacation from the Boards Fiction? That's gotta be embarrassing!
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:32 pm

[quote=""zeke41""]Magician...do you think 64 teams is too large for a first year Invitational tournament? [/quote]

Depends on who is organizing the tournament and how much work they are willing to put in to make it a successful event ...

[quote=""zeke41""] Do you think there are 64 properly functioning teams out of the 200+ attempting to operate now? [/quote]

There are a great many more basketball teams and leagues out there to select invitees from, than just the leagues listed here at OSC and USBasket.com

As some of the posters here at OSC have endorsed the idea of a 3-4 day, 16 team tournament ...

And although, I am not totally opposed to that idea myself, I kind of feel that you would be acting, as if being an 'exclusive' body, and not conveying the right message to the basketball masses, to whom you are trying to engage, to get behind the effort.
Last edited by The Magician on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 21 times in total.

basketball facts
Site Admin

Post by basketball facts » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:34 pm

ha ha ha. so wrong. not even close. thats the problem with you guys, you think that minor league basketball only got started a couple of years ago. some of us guys worked in front offices and sidelines dating back years and years. one of the one ways is in europe right now, one basketball facts is working for a hockey team. there are many guys out there that have been through the trenchs of minor league sports who know and understand what the deal is and how to run a franchise. sadly you guys do not. back in the day, front offices comprised of seven or eight sales people, not a guy in his basement. minor leagues take money, you guys do not have any. franchises need front office staffs, you guys do not have any. would love to chat more, but going to pepes for lunch in ....... elgin!!!!!!

Return to “Men's Basketball”