Minor League Basketball Visioning Meeting

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:57 am

[quote=""JeffKuntz""]Why not do a combination of an annual conference along with monthly web-based conference calls where you use one of those services that you can display a Powerpoint presentation over the internet to everyone watching?

In terms of content for the web-calls a couple of team owners should work together to create a unique agenda each month, and maybe share some of the ticket sales techniques that work for them, in-game promotions that they use that are popular, etc... each month different team owners should step up to prepare the meeting content..

Different vendors each month can then be invited to be a participant - which they would do by sending you their slides/info in advance and the meeting host would insert them in... I would suggest a small fee to vendors in order to promote their stuff, and a very limited number of vendors (ie: 1 or 2)..

I think it's an excellent idea to do an annual conference, and I would suggest taking it a step further and increase the communication drastically by making it a monthy event that team owners look forward to participating in.

If you're going to develop a platform to increase communication and bring people together to promote the sharing of ideas, why only do it once per year? Make the most of the co-operative nature of your concept.[/quote]

Jeff,

I'd love to do something monthly, and we'll entertain that option. I'm just not so sure we'll get a steady level of participation. I'm also not sure we'd have enough people amongst us to step up and provide monthly content. The reality is that it's tough enough getting people to call in for mandatory league conference calls. Perhaps quarterly might be feasible. Monthly might be too much initially.

I do think the vendor option is a piece that we can utilize to bring in capital (albeit small initially, it's a step in the right direction). I get tons of unsolicited emails from people trying to sell me a variety of products. Ideally, for a nominal fee, we can get most (if not all) of those same people to pay a meager vendor fee and show up at this conference each year.

I'd also like to take advantage of webcasting options for conferences. There's a missed benefit (I think) by not meeting up in person, but we can certainly utilize the technological advances to be more efficient, utilize better resources and make this platform one in which no one has an excuse to miss it.

Finally, I established a Facebook event for this conference. There's a link to that event page here:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=226009614103259

If you have a Facebook account, please visit this event page and RSVP. If you don't have a Facebook account, let this be your most valuable piece of advice thus far - establish a team Facebook Fan page (for your team) and an individual page, either for you or your team, which will allow you to communicate and post on people's walls, etc. Facebook has been the most effective marketing tool we've used. Anyone sleeping on having a Facebook is dangerously ignorant and unprepared to be in this business. It is a necessary piece for every business owner.

While you're at it, check out (and add) our team fan page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Florida-F ... 6581697158
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:56 pm

[quote=""zeke41""]I do think the vendor option is a piece that we can utilize to bring in capital (albeit small initially, it's a step in the right direction). I get tons of unsolicited emails from people trying to sell me a variety of products. Ideally, for a nominal fee, we can get most (if not all) of those same people to pay a meager vendor fee and show up at this conference each year.[/quote]

Exactly.. Turn each one of those people who solicits you in to an opportunity to generate some revenue for the conference..
There's a missed benefit (I think) by not meeting up in person
And therein lies the genius of the PBL for embracing this conference, in contrast to the ABA's present stance.

You're setting up a conference to bring team as many team owners as possible to one place.

If I ran a league I would have myself and my league staff there so team owners could meet me and meet my people. This is an enormous opportunity for league owners, and I would hope all league commissioners get involved - both for the good of their league and for the greater good of the sport.

The fact is basketball teams change leagues from time to time.. or leagues fold.. the personal connections you can make at this conference may not pay immediate dividends but they will in years to come.. when a team is looking for a new league to play in, the first thing they'll remember is who they spoke with in Chicago..

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:15 pm

Great work Mark putting this event together -- hopefully it will be the start of something big for minor league basketball. Also, kudos to Dr. Sev as well for his willingness to be part of this.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:16 pm

[quote="" The Shadow""]You can also check show out on OSC radio!![/quote]

That was a great show!

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:49 pm

Here's a list of items that will likely be a part of the agenda for the 1st Conference as posted on our event page set up by me via our Facebook. If you have a Facebook page, RSVP there:

More than 200 teams currently operate as independent minor league basketball entities in the United States. It's time to hold an annual conference for these teams and the leagues they represent. The goal of this convention is to create standards of excellence that will stabilize our platform of business.

This conference, which is FREE OF CHARGE, will include the discussion of some key best practice strategies necessary for the success of any team in any market, accompanied by a visioning section, where a plan will be proposed to create a national umbrella of competition that relies on a regional structure that minimizes travel costs for each team.

This conference by no means is an attempt to disrupt any of the existent leagues. It's a format to help propel the production, quality and efficiency of operations for teams and leagues, making minor league basketball a more reputable, investor-friendly business that pushes the game of basketball forward.

Here is a small, tentative list of agenda items for this year's conference:

1. United Basketball Federation of America (UBFA): Discuss key standards of this business and establish a new professional society of minor league basketball.

2. "Compliment NOT Compete" plea: Reduce travel cost expenditures for teams by promoting regional play through a new inter league play model between all leagues and teams approved by the new UBFA.

2. ALL-NEW UBFA NATIONAL MINOR LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT: Hold a National Minor League Championship of top approved UBFA teams in the United States.

3. Marketing Symposium: How to market your team in a more efficient, affordable manner
- Social Networking
- Sponsorship Sales
- Flyer creation
- Branding

4. Player Promotion: Panel discussion on how to get your players to the next level.
- Game Film
- Statistics and player resume building
- Agent Networking
- Player Development

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:54 pm

For those who do not have a Facebook account to RSVP for the Facebook event, here is an alternative event page where you can RSVP:

http://mlbconference.eventbrite.com/

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:32 pm

"Compliment NOT Compete"
Nice to see Dan Quayle in charge of this...
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

CBAWorldHoops.com
Site Admin

Post by CBAWorldHoops.com » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm

[quote=""zeke41""]Here's a list of items that will likely be a part of the agenda for the 1st Conference as posted on our event page set up by me via our Facebook. If you have a Facebook page, RSVP there:

More than 200 teams currently operate as independent minor league basketball entities in the United States. It's time to hold an annual conference for these teams and the leagues they represent. The goal of this convention is to create standards of excellence that will stabilize our platform of business.

This conference, which is FREE OF CHARGE, will include the discussion of some key best practice strategies necessary for the success of any team in any market, accompanied by a visioning section, where a plan will be proposed to create a national umbrella of competition that relies on a regional structure that minimizes travel costs for each team.

This conference by no means is an attempt to disrupt any of the existent leagues. It's a format to help propel the production, quality and efficiency of operations for teams and leagues, making minor league basketball a more reputable, investor-friendly business that pushes the game of basketball forward.

Here is a small, tentative list of agenda items for this year's conference:

1. United Basketball Federation of America (UBFA): Discuss key standards of this business and establish a new professional society of minor league basketball.

2. "Compliment NOT Compete" plea: Reduce travel cost expenditures for teams by promoting regional play through a new inter league play model between all leagues and teams approved by the new UBFA.

2. ALL-NEW UBFA NATIONAL MINOR LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT: Hold a National Minor League Championship of top approved UBFA teams in the United States.

3. Marketing Symposium: How to market your team in a more efficient, affordable manner
- Social Networking
- Sponsorship Sales
- Flyer creation
- Branding

4. Player Promotion: Panel discussion on how to get your players to the next level.
- Game Film
- Statistics and player resume building
- Agent Networking
- Player Development[/quote]

Not sure how many people will have interest in traveling across country for a marketing lesson although it is with the best of intentions.

My focus would be on the creation of a Club Basketball Tournament for 2012 and the promotion of non-league play during the regular season. I am interested if an email database has been created of league/team contacts to use in getting feedback for a proposed tournament?

We need to decide in rather short order what type of tournament it will be, where it will take place, when it will take place, how will it be funded, how teams qualify (especially independent teams), etc. A six hour meeting in September would not be sufficient in getting something of this magnitude ironed out which is why the discussion should begin now with interested teams.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:12 pm

[quote=""CBAWorldHoops.com""]Not sure how many people will have interest in traveling across country for a marketing lesson although it is with the best of intentions.

My focus would be on the creation of a Club Basketball Tournament for 2012 and the promotion of non-league play during the regular season. I am interested if an email database has been created of league/team contacts to use in getting feedback for a proposed tournament?

We need to decide in rather short order what type of tournament it will be, where it will take place, when it will take place, how will it be funded, how teams qualify (especially independent teams), etc. A six hour meeting in September would not be sufficient in getting something of this magnitude ironed out which is why the discussion should begin now with interested teams.[/quote]

Putting together the ideas to construct a 2012 tournament is of top priority for this conference. In fact, that was the initial sole purpose of this visioning meeting. As the idea blossomed, and input was provided, I noticed a bigger opportunity for an annual, or perhaps a semi-annual conference. The upcoming conference will focus solely on the discussion of putting together a national minor league basketball tournament and encouraging more inter-league play between neighboring teams that might play in different leagues.

As this conference evolves, I see it functioning like a traditional conference. You are correct - some might not see a benefit in receiving a "marketing lesson" or advice (some might even be insulted by it). Others might prefer to discuss developing a proper internship program. Or, as also suggested, others might want to learn more about getting players bigger opportunities. At a traditional conference, attendees get to select which seminars to attend. Coupling those seminars with a vendor expo, brunch, and an informal meet and greet amongst others in this business would be, I think, very beneficial on many levels.

Regarding the first meeting, you are correct: 6 hours will not be sufficient enough time to implement such a transformational change to the landscape of minor league basketball. This meeting is merely a starting point, and my goal is to create a platform...a large think tank, if you will, where the people who care most about this business can come to a set time and place and get things rolling.

This is going to take a lot of work. There are lots of things to discuss, with lots of variables to manage. Assuming that a tournament is put together, I don't see how any team or league will be able to escape from this meeting without some serious compromises. We're all going to have to bend a little to make this work. I guess the question is this: Is it worth it to compromise to put together something of this magnitude. My immediate answer is yes, and so far, several others have indicated the same, including executive members and teams from the CBL and PBL (the WBA has expressed interest as well). It would be ideal to have every league and team at least attend the meeting to add their input, but if nothing else comes of it, I think having these three leagues working together is a sufficient starting place that we can build upon.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 pm

[quote=""zeke41""]It would be ideal to have every league and team at least attend the meeting to add their input, but if nothing else comes of it, I think having these three leagues working together is a sufficient starting place that we can build upon.[/quote]

Just having people in the same room meeting face-to-face is a big step even if there isn't a formal agenda or polished presentations. Like you said, even if it is only a handful of teams/leagues, it is a good place to start.

Return to “Men's Basketball”