Anybody catch any IBL games?

Tombor
Site Admin

Anybody catch any IBL games?

Post by Tombor » Tue May 17, 2005 8:58 pm

Hi, I'm a long time lurker first time poster.

Most of the discussion on this board, around this time of year at least, seems to revolve around the USBL. I was just wondering if anybody here follows the IBL at all or has seen a game? A buddy of mine and I went to a Dayton Jets-Akron Lightning game Saturday and we had a lot of fun. The Jets play at Hara, which is sort of a dump and on the edge of being in the middle of nowhere and while I won't compare the talent to the old ABA, a darkly barn like Hara and very fast-paced rules gave it the feel of what an ABA game must've been like.

Since the actual space of Hara is about the size of a hockey rink, the court was laid out in the middle and seating was placed on the floor behind the hoops and along the sideline opposite of where the players, score keepers, and league officals were. They even had a guy on a turntable spinning the music. I pretty impressed by the style the game was presented.

As for the game itself it was a cake walk for the Jets which was something I kind of expected after reading the local paper's write ups. Nevertheless the game was fast paced and pretty dunk-friendly, the announcer for the game took a very AND1 style approach to calling it. The only issue I had with that was I wasn't particularly familiar with the Jets roster; the one player I knew was absent CBAer DeShawn Headley. The Jets uniforms have no names on the back and each player went by a nickname. By contrast Akron uniforms had names on their backs and the announcer referred to the players by name so I was actually familiar with the beer-gut Kevin Verde and the Ivan Drago-looking Bruce Weinkein.

Not to muddy up or exasberate this post any further but I'm the stat guy for WWSU's Warbird broadcasts, Dayton's other new franchise. The Warbirds came into town with a lot of huff and glitz and apparent legitimacy while the Jets sort of slid into town with nearly zero marketing. My first hand experience with the Warbirds have been ugly, ownership has changed 4 times, players aren't getting paid and as weeks have progressed the promos and presentation of Warbirds games have become increasingly bare boned. And while the Jets only drew maybe 900-1,000 for this game, which I guess is the current attendance, I was a lot more impressed with the product on the floor. Plus, unlike the Warbirds, the Jets owner is local and seems to have reasonably deep pockets.

I don't know I don't want to sound like an ad for the Jets. I just like to say I was pretty impressed with the team and the game. I wasn't sure if anybody else here on the board follows the other teams in the league? I guess some of the Michigan and Iowa teams just play in High School gyms. I read the Portland Chinooks play in a raquetball court.

Oh yeah on the feel of Hara giving the game an ABA feel... Hara is about 40 years old (I think) and stepping into the arena makes you feel like its 1972 at the latest. I just liked how the presentation of the game seemed to embrace that.

Ok sorry. I promise future posts won't be that long... or as rosey.

CRUSADERSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CRUSADERSFAN » Tue May 17, 2005 10:05 pm

Welcome aboard. Glad to see that you had fun. I've been wanting to check out some Lightning games, but with the team site down, I've lost some faith in the team. I therefore plan to check out a Jets game. The ABA-like atmosphere REALLY makes me want to see a game now.
:)

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Wed May 18, 2005 5:43 pm

More proof that I don't have a life, I went to the windy city warterloo game a couple of weeks ago, and to my suprise, it was a well played game, by both teams, well officiated, and good entertainment, for a start up league. Only problem, they charged too much for the game, eleven dollars!

Tombor
Site Admin

Post by Tombor » Wed May 18, 2005 7:11 pm

Yeah. Dayton games I think are the most expensive in the league... the seats my buddy and I had normally go for $35 freakin' dollars! The cheapest ticket is in the arena for $9. I guess attendance has been hovering about where it was for that game hence the price cut.

I still had a lot of fun. Very well officiated, fast paced, and the other team showed up full strength.

patmc16
Site Admin

Post by patmc16 » Wed May 18, 2005 11:17 pm

I made it to the Macomb County Mustangs innaugural game. $8 general admission. Not too bad for a couple hours of entertainment. No worse than a movie. Way better to watch than the Motown Jammers innaugural, at $10. So far I haven't kept my promise to be back, but I guess there's still time. The 0-9 start doesn't exactly encourage me to run out for tickets.

Is it just me, or is this whole league flying under the radar? It's off season for the ABA and they still get more posts on the board. Which is worse, having the majority of basketball fans think you are a joke, or having the majority of them ignore you? :?

BTW, and on an unrelated note, what's up with the ad links in the posts? If my words are to be turned into advertising, shouldn't I get a cut? :P
Former Motor City Mechanics & Macomb County Mustangs season ticket holder.

"I like you. When the world is mine your death shall be quick and painless."
- Stewie Griffin

CRUSADERSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CRUSADERSFAN » Wed May 18, 2005 11:44 pm

patmc16 wrote:I made it to the Macomb County Mustangs innaugural game. $8 general admission. Not too bad for a couple hours of entertainment. No worse than a movie. Way better to watch than the Motown Jammers innaugural, at $10. So far I haven't kept my promise to be back, but I guess there's still time. The 0-9 start doesn't exactly encourage me to run out for tickets. Is it just me, or is this whole league flying under the radar? It's off season for the ABA and they still get more posts on the board. Which is worse, having the majority of basketball fans think you are a joke, or having the majority of them ignore you? :? BTW, and on an unrelated note, what's up with the ad links in the posts? If my words are to be turned into advertising, shouldn't I get a cut? :P
Promotion does seem to be the league's biggest problem. The lack of adaquate stats is also big. Someone needs to tell them that their biggest concern shouldn't be points. As important as they are, the other stats matter too.

And patmc, to answer your question, I'd almost rather be ignored than ridiculed. :lol:

Tombor
Site Admin

Post by Tombor » Thu May 19, 2005 2:24 am

I just want to support patmc16 on the comment of this league going under the radar... the USBL sounds like it's about to collapse any second and gets more attention than the IBL. Hell, I bet there are some ABAers even in the IBL!!!!

Promotion wise I think the Jets do a fair job. The Jets get more time on the local news channels than the Warbirds do and, at least before the season started I heard sporadic radio promos. Dayton Daily News even did a positive write up about the team, which is more than what you can say about the Warbirds. Still, I don't see the team getting more than a cult-following here. This city is very much a baseball town this time of year, even though the Dragons suck and the Jets have a legitimate shot at a title...

CRUSADERSFAN
Site Admin

Post by CRUSADERSFAN » Thu May 19, 2005 9:55 pm

Maybe a title will change the lack of interest...

BTW-I have switched from an Akron Lightning fan to a Dayton jets fan. 8)

Return to “Men's Basketball”