Minor League HR Record

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Minor League HR Record

Post by alkalinefan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm

I was watching"Bull Durham" recently and a reference was made to Crash Davis "Kevin Costner" hitting his 247th HR, being a minor-league record.It got me to thinking.Who holds the record for minor league HR's?My first thought would be Kit Pellow.I think he has 300 in 15 seasons.Actually,if you look over his history( and or )stats it is interesting. He played baseball in the US,Mex.,China ,and Korea.Ave of 20 HR's over 15 yrs(minor league stats).Almost 5000 AB's in the minors.He only played 99 games(off the top of my head) at the ML level but did brake up a no-hit bid against the Mets in the 8th by T Glavine.If Pellow doesn't have the HR record,who does?

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:57 pm

I couldn't tell you for sure, but this looks like a rather well-researched article:

Who is the all-time minor league home run king?

The long and short of it is that it seems to be hard to determine, especially when you consider non-USA leagues.
Scott McClain holds the active title with 291 in the affiliated minor leagues, though he’s probably going to cede it soon to hard-charging Mike Hessman of the Toledo Mud Hens (who is right behind with 288 ).
Hector Espino, who hit 484 homers... he played nearly his entire career in the unaffiliated Mexican League.
Buzz Arlett... hit 432 home runs in the USA minor leagues.
Dave

Return to “General Baseball”