Gary's move

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Gary's move

Post by alkalinefan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:05 pm

I just happened to think,Gary would fit in great to be a Cubs single A team.Its a nice,somewhat new, quality stadium from what I hear(correct me if I'm wrong)and close to Chicago.Not now but maybe in the future.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:01 pm

In the very, very, very distant future. First, a Cubs affiliated single A team would have to go away so Gary could take its place. I think Gary's future is in the independent leagues.

ca
Site Admin

looks like the former nol clubs ...

Post by ca » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:47 pm

just shot themselves in the financial foot going to this travel fiasco laden loop of the aa

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Gary's future

Post by alkalinefan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:22 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]In the very, very, very distant future. First, a Cubs affiliated single A team would have to go away so Gary could take its place. I think Gary's future is in the independent leagues.[/quote]

I know kind of a silly notion,I was just talking off the top of my head.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:18 am

[quote=""alkalinefan""]I know kind of a silly notion,I was just talking off the top of my head.[/quote]

The Mets and and Yankees each have A affiliates in NYC and Staten Island.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:22 pm

[quote=""alkalinefan""]I just happened to think,Gary would fit in great to be a Cubs single A team.Its a nice,somewhat new, quality stadium from what I hear(correct me if I'm wrong)and close to Chicago.Not now but maybe in the future.[/quote]

The Cubs (and expos and reds,etc) use to have a single A affliate in Rockford, but it never caught on. It wasn't till indie ball came to town that the crowds came too.

alkalinefan
Site Admin

The Ole Rockford Cubbies

Post by alkalinefan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:56 pm

[quote=""wasteland""]The Cubs (and expos and reds,etc) use to have a single A affliate in Rockford, but it never caught on. It wasn't till indie ball came to town that the crowds came too.[/quote]

I took my son to a game in Rockford a few years back when they were with Chicago.Actually I've there a few times.Saw Kazoo play there back in '05 a few weeks before the season ended.Then I think Kazoo played Rock. in the play-offs, and then Kazoo went on to beat Chilly in the finals at Chilly in a winner take all game that I personally witnessed.And I think when Rock was in the MWL, they along with Beloit had their homeplates only 20 miles apart from each other.That has to be a record I would think for 2 teams in the same league.

alkalinefan
Site Admin

The Ole Rockford Cubbies Part 2

Post by alkalinefan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:20 pm

[quote=""wasteland""]The Cubs (and expos and reds,etc) use to have a single A affliate in Rockford, but it never caught on. It wasn't till indie ball came to town that the crowds came too.[/quote]

Did the switch from Marinelli to the new park ,i'm not sure but I think its Road Ranger Stadium have more to do with attendence than the switch to the Indy's did?Actually I think Marinelli is (past and present) one of the few bb parks that face N. or W. making it a problem for fans to watch the game as the sun sets.The other 2 that come to find are Pittsfield,Mass(where they actually stop the game at times because of the sun ) and Kalamazoo.In Kazoo if you sit on the 3b side(the cheap seats), I've done this many a time the sun can be a pain in the -ss.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:44 pm

To some extent yes it did help, but the Riverhawks did pretty well at Marinelli, much better then the previous few Class A teams did.

After re-reading your comment, I'm not sure if you were aware the Riverhawks called Marinelli home for 4 seasons and did well enough to warrent the team to look into a more modern stadium. Good to see baseball back on a regular basis in Marinelli this past summer with the Forestors.
Last edited by wasteland on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Rockford Again

Post by alkalinefan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:23 pm

[quote=""wasteland""]To some extent yes it did help, but the Riverhawks did pretty well at Marinelli, much better then the previous few Class A teams did.

After re-reading your comment, I'm not sure if you were aware the Riverhawks called Marinelli home for 4 seasons and did well enough to warrent the team to look into a more modern stadium. Good to see baseball back on a regular basis in Marinelli this past summer with the Forestors.[/quote]

Actually I thought it was a year or two for the Hawks at the Mar.Thanks for your info,I didn't know that they were drawing at Mar. in the end.What league are the Forestors in?Is it the Northwoods.

Return to “General Baseball”