Oldest Minor League Baseball Stadium

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Oldest Minor League Baseball Stadium

Post by alkalinefan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:15 pm

Earlier today I pulled out a Johnstown Johnnies jersey from my closet that I bought back in '02 when I was in Johnstown for a couple of games.This was about 2 weeks before the Johnnies would play their last game in Johnstown.It is one of the most unique minor league baseball stadiums that I have been to.It got me to think.How many minor league stadiums date back to the 1920's or before .I think Point Stadium in Johnstown is in that group.The other sites that come to mind are Bosse Field in Evansville,In.Centennial Field home of the Lake Monsters(NYPL) in the Burlington ,Vt Area .And the home field of the now since departed New Haven Ravens at Yale University.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Rickwood field in Birmingham was built in 1910 and is the oldest park to date.
Here is the blog AT www.rickwood.wordpress.com They have a non profit group that takes care of the park. I have also been to Engle Stadium in Chattanoga and they need someone to take care of that place :( It could use some help to get restored.

kahunakats
Site Admin

Post by kahunakats » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:35 am

The Warren Ballpark in Bisbee was built in 1909 and the original adobe is still present (the manager's office under the grandstand has grass growing through the walls) although the grandstand was modified in the 20's or 30's.

Return to “General Baseball”