Bay city MI baseball team from 1920s affiliated with detroit tigers?

Jorgeite
Site Admin

Bay city MI baseball team from 1920s affiliated with detroit tigers?

Post by Jorgeite » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 am

my great grand father played for a team based out of bay city MI in the late 1920s early 30s..it was like a minor league team..trying to find info on the team..would like to find a team photo if possible

smallballfan
Site Admin

Post by smallballfan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Not much but here's something:

http://bay-journal.com/bay/1he/writings ... -1937.html

Maybe the newspaper there has more?

alkalinefan
Site Admin

bay city baseball

Post by alkalinefan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:55 pm

[quote=""Jorgeite""]my great grand father played for a team based out of bay city MI in the late 1920s early 30s..it was like a minor league team..trying to find info on the team..would like to find a team photo if possible[/quote]

I picked up a softcover book a few years back.Its called "Minor League Baseball Towns of Michigan.It has some info on Bay City baseball history.It has some pictures from the 20's.The quality of these pictures isn't that great.There is a picture of the 1924 Bay City Wolves.The last year for a Bay City team listed in this book is '26.The team was in the Michigan State League playing games at Clarkson Park.

bluecatsguy
Site Admin

Post by bluecatsguy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:41 pm

[quote=""alkalinefan""]I picked up a softcover book a few years back.Its called "Minor League Baseball Towns of Michigan.It has some info on Bay City baseball history.It has some pictures from the 20's.The quality of these pictures isn't that great.There is a picture of the 1924 Bay City Wolves.The last year for a Bay City team listed in this book is '26.The team was in the Michigan State League playing games at Clarkson Park.[/quote]

I have the same book. I will check it out at lunch. It is pretty interesting if you like those sorts of books.

alkalinefan
Site Admin

Michigan Baseball History

Post by alkalinefan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23 pm

[quote=""bluecatsguy""]I have the same book. I will check it out at lunch. It is pretty interesting if you like those sorts of books.[/quote]

I actually bought all the copies of that book that were on the shelf at the "Borders Outlet".At $2.99 a copy I thought it was worth buying these because I kind of felt sorry for the author.To spend that much time on a book and have it on the rack for under 3 bucks,well the extra copies I bought I will make sure they get into the hands that appreciate them.Getting back to the book,there is about 20 pages G. Rapids history.Also some Detroit history pre-1901 before Detroit was in the A. L..Actually Detroit is listed in the A.L. in 1900 but I think that was a year before the A.L. was considered the major leagues.There are also some photos and sketches of Bennett Park from the early 1900's.Back when homeplate was in rightfield.

Return to “Affiliated Baseball”