New US Pro Soccer League Kicks Off (w/ Hispanic/Latino emphasis)

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

New US Pro Soccer League Kicks Off (w/ Hispanic/Latino emphasis)

Post by SignGuyDino » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:38 am

Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:01 am

Another pipe dream. Let's see if it gets past collecting tryout fees from Latino players who really believe this is their way to "pro" soccer.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:44 am

I would like to see this happen, but I have concerns they can get teams started up in time.

The timing of this with the MLS Players Union showing what true bleeping geldings they really are is fun, though.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:00 am

While I would agree that the "pay-to-play" model does hinder a lot of Hispanic players in the US, I don't buy that they are completely shut out of collegiate or even pro soccer. I've seen more than a few in our area get college offers.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:16 pm

[quote=""nksports""]While I would agree that the "pay-to-play" model does hinder a lot of Hispanic players in the US, I don't buy that they are completely shut out of collegiate or even pro soccer. I've seen more than a few in our area get college offers.[/quote]

You're kind of correct... but in the situations where kids make mistakes, some pay more dearly than others.

Also, I take "don't buy that they are completely shut out of collegiate" and offer that, while I think you meant that as an understatement, it's probably in the neighborhood of reality.

I follow a team that has one American Hispanic player on the roster and has a tendency to not hold on to kids who come up through the youth ranks. Claimed Steven Evans when Erik Hurtado was available (Evans isn't getting any further than USL play at his rate of development, Hurtado is a sometimes starter in Vancouver). One of Timbers Army saw Rubio Rubin playing for a youth club, the Timbers seemed reluctant, so Timbers Army (yes, the supporters) helped pay a bit of his way to the academy in Bradenton, and now at age 18 he's a part-time starter at Utrecht in the Netherlands (the Timbers subsequently claimed him as an academy product, but he spent no time in the program). Since there's a couple kids who are actually in the program who are in the USA U-15 camp right now, I'd like to think that coach Caleb Porter is having an influence where the general manager isn't... shrug. I don't know.

We have every right to question whether all this comes off. However, we are talking about a large segment of the population that's been wronged repeatedly by US Soccer, has major qualms with the way the American system generally operates, and thus becomes a potentially large audience for an alternative. These are people MLS should be courting far smarter than they do.

Don't forget: the most popular soccer league on TV is NOT MLS, and not even EPL... it's Liga MX.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:21 pm

[quote=""SignGuyDino""]The timing of this with the MLS Players Union showing what true bleeping geldings they really are is fun, though.[/quote]

Labor negotiations are more complicated than whackjobs give them credit for.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:28 pm

"Whackjob?" OK, whatever man, if belittling people who agree with you most of the time makes you happy, then you need to evaluate yourself.

The MLS labor dispute was not complicated at all to understand.

The MLS owners do not want players to have free agency at all costs. It would undermine their single entity, used to keep wages down. The average non-DP player will make $60,000 with "simulated" free agency after eight years, far longer than most MLS players will last.

And they claim they'll be an elite league in a few short years. Sure they will. But why would players cave so easily? Because most of them would not be in a REAL top-tier league ran like every serious soccer nation on Earth runs it.

Even "gringos" like me are turning to Liga MX because we're sick of "McSoccer."

As to this league, I think there's a need for it, but again, I have the same doubts of their veracity as say the NAFL.

Where are the leases? Why are you having combines without leases in place for at least eight venues?

I'm rooting (for now) for this to happen. I hope they can show they have real things going on and soon. But I can see issues with their plan right away. One video promises wages at $15,000-$30,000 a player. How do you do this with no leases and no television contract?

They would be better off announcing this concept (this league apparently has some resources) but start play in 2016. You need six months after signed leases are in place before you sell tickets, seek sponsors, have combines, get a television deal, and all the basic logistics you need to start a professional league.

But I guess I'm a "whackjob" for pointing this out.

Whatever man.
Last edited by SignGuyDino on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:38 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Labor negotiations are more complicated than whackjobs give them credit for.[/quote]

I'll say this, Sam. I've got this whole big bag of popcorn at home waiting for a good conflict. The temptation to invite Ted Westervelt (aka Tinfoil Ted aka @soccerreform) over here is really strong right now.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Ted has been exploiting every single nuance of the "complicated" CBA to make his points. And he's far from the only person to brutalize this cave-in by players.

The "whackjobs" at Deadspin just criticized this CBA to great length, saying both the owners and players agreed to keep the league in mediocrity: http://screamer.deadspin.com/mls-player ... 1689634743

The deal may be "complicated" in terms of size but what the agenda of what "The MLS" owners want is not.

But the topic is this proposed Hispanic league. I would love to see this happen, it's still too soon to totally dismiss it. But red flags are ready to be raised even if they are really sincere in what they are doing.

Return to “General Soccer”