USL Division 1 in Birmingham, Alabama

The Magician
Site Admin

USL Division 1 in Birmingham, Alabama

Post by The Magician » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:57 pm

http://www.uslsoccer.com/insider/229134.html
TOPIC: EXPANSION / USL-1 TEAMS

(Mikey - Charleston, SC) Is USL or any potential owners, actively pursuing an expansion franchise in the near future, particularly in Division 1?

... A short list of markets from which we believe a USL-1 franchise could be successful with the proper ownership and venue include, but are not limited to (in no specific order): Omaha (NE), Tulsa (OK), San Antonio (TX), Tampa (FL), Phoenix (AZ), Boise (ID), Oklahoma City (OK), Albuquerque (NM), Memphis (TN), and Birmingham (AL) We are currently in advanced discussions with interested parties in several of these markets.
Could a USL team and a NPSL team co-exist in the same market?

Alabama Spirit - Birmingham, AL [Provisional Team, NPSL 2008]

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656870
Last edited by The Magician on Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:06 pm

Answer to your question: HECK YES.

NPSL is almost as organized as the PBL, without the ambition. I frankly think it's something of a joke.

USL-1 is on Fox Soccer Channel (and, if you're as lucky as some teams in the league, a local regional channel as well). Bigger deal by far.

The best part: if a Birmingham teams wins a round or two in the US Open Cup, you can face an MLS team in a meaningful game, probably IN Birmingham. NPSL requires a lot more luck.

I saw that announcement this morning. Downside to the USL is they'll tout expansion nearly as much as Joe Newman does. They may or may not deliver, and I have my doubts. Most of all, they mentioned Boise, and I've seen absolutely nobody at this end mentioning anything to anyone.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:22 pm

I received an Alabama soccer update from Scott Spencer, Director of Coaching for the Alabama Youth Soccer Association, stating that there are some discussions about a higher level USL professional team in Birmingham for 2009.

That's good news! :mrgreen:

Upcoming NPSL Match:

Alabama Spirit (Birmingham, AL) vs Rocket City United (Huntsville, AL)

Sunday, June 22nd, 2008

Homewood Soccer Park (Birmingham, AL)

Directions: Homewood Soccer Park

From I-65 take exit 255, Lakeshore Parkway, head east to the first traffic light after the interstate. From Hwy 31 or Hwy 280 exit at Lakeshore Drive and head west on Lakeshore. All three routes lead to the major intersection of Lakeshore Drive and Green Springs Hwy/Columbiana Road. From the intersection travel one block south on Columbiana across the bridge over Shades Creek. After crossing the bridge turn left on to South Lakeshore Drive. The second entrance to the left off South Lakeshore is the entrance road to the Park. There is a nice stacked rock sign at the entrance. Follow the Park road to the parking lot.

Tickets: $10 Adult, $6 Under 18, Under 5 Free

Return to “General Soccer”